Why don't you vaccinate your kids? (Read 1573 times)

Right on Hereford...

In the NPR piece that Trent linked earlier, the mother whose child nearly died from measles (transmitted from an unvaccinated kid) was asked whether parents should be allowed to choose whether or not to vaccinate their kids.

"Yes," she said, and then after a pause, "if they live on an island."

Right on Hereford...

Not really.

Yes, really.

Measles can be contracted through the air from 100 ft.

If the odds of a vaccinated person being infected are 0.7%, then 1 out of 143 vaccinated people will contract the disease after exposure.

A kid who goes to school, etc., will almost certainly come within 100 ft of 143 people over a day or so, don't you think?

Best Present Ever

Why take the risk, if it can be reduced?  The risk of taking the vaccine is much much lower.  The risk of the disease includes death.

That's true, but there are associated costs.  I have no idea what the data show, but I'm willing to believe that one could make a reasonable population-based cost-benefit argument against varicella vaccination in the context of the NHS. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That's true, but there are associated costs.  I have no idea what the data show, but I'm willing to believe that one could make a reasonable population-based cost-benefit argument against varicella vaccination in the context of the NHS. 

As I understand it, when a child gets varicella there is a huge social cost from the parent being out of work for 10-12 days.  When you include that cost in the math, then varicella becomes one of the more compelling vaccines, at least from a cost effectiveness standpoint.

Best Present Ever

As I understand it, when a child gets varicella there is a huge social cost from the parent being out of work for 10-12 days.  When you include that cost in the math, then varicella becomes one of the more compelling vaccines, at least from a cost effectiveness standpoint.

I don't disagree, but the NHS doesn't pay that cost.  It isn't as interested in the family's costs or the lost productivity, just the health care costs.  The NHS at least as the good excuse that any money saved on not giving varicella vaccines is going toward some other health care use.    

buzzardnblack

buzz

For those who choose not to vaccinate their kids, I have one question: why not?

maybe i just dont trust the man!!!

<do all="" things="" without="" murmuring="" and="" complaining=""></do>

I vaccinate my kids...  or should I say that they get shots on a routine basis.  I get them all the time.  To me it is the best deal.  My mother-in-law is barely 5 foot.  She had polio as a child and this was one of the effects of it.  I refuse to cause my children undo risk.  On the same note though if I had serious questions about vaccines then I would question it and more then likely not vaccinate.  I would be more likely to not allow them to take medice after going to the doctors for being sick then not allowing them to receive a vaccine.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

Purdey

Self anointed title

Yes, really.

Measles can be contracted through the air from 100 ft.

If the odds of a vaccinated person being infected are 0.7%, then 1 out of 143 vaccinated people will contract the disease after exposure.

A kid who goes to school, etc., will almost certainly come within 100 ft of 143 people over a day or so, don't you think?

Ok..... (I'm trying to be gentle here, because I can see that this is an emotive subject)

Do you holiday abroad with your children? Do you think foreign countries have 100% vaccination policies? How many unvaccinated persons do you think your children will come within "100ft" of? When you return the good ole USA do you consider that your children might be putting others at risk?

And this... children brought up in a totally streile environment have terrible immune systems.

henryc

Do you holiday abroad with your children? Do you think foreign countries have 100% vaccination policies? How many unvaccinated persons do you think your children will come within "100ft" of? When you return the good ole USA do you consider that your children might be putting others at risk?

And this... children brought up in a totally streile environment have terrible immune systems.

So is your argument is that it would be better to say have your child not vaccinated for Polio (example) and then take a long holiday in India (example)?

we don't leave the state of maine.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

Purdey

Self anointed title

So is your argument is that it would be better to say have your child not vaccinated for Polio (example) and then take a long holiday in India (example)?

Nope. Just saying that if you holiday abroad, then you may (unwittingly) be bringing a disease back into the country (whether your children are vaccinated or not). It is all very well for one country to try to eradicate a disease through blanket vaccination - but unless the rest of the world follows you (and look where that has got us in the past) then the disease will not disappear.

My point was also that if you bring a child up in a totally sterile environment, their immune system will be ill prepared to combat any infection or disease when it does happen.

I am just trying to balance the argument a bit. FWIW my children are vaccinated - I just do not see it being quite as black and white as some people.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

vaccinations ≠ sterile environment

Purdey

Self anointed title

vaccinations ≠ sterile environment

I didn't say they were. My point was more about letting the immune system develop. (Before you say it, I am aware that vaccinations stimulate the immune system).

Purdey

Self anointed title

I wonder if this thread has run its course.... should we close it now?

Right on Hereford...

1. No, I haven't (yet) taken my kids out of the country. The oldest is only two. But I will.

2. I understand that no country has a 100% vaccination rate, no matter what their policy. I have chosen to greatly lower my family's risk of contracting infectious diseases by vaccinating. Thus, I feel comfortable traveling to foreign countries that may have lower vaccination rates than the United States. I would certainly have second thoughts about visiting a country if it happened to be in the middle of a real epidemic, however.

3. My kids come within 100 ft of unvaccinated persons all of the time. But you missed the point. The point is not about coming within 100 ft of someone who hasn't been vaccinated. The point is being exposed to someone who actually has a disease!

4. And no, when I return to the USA from a foreign trip, I am not concerned about putting others at risk, because I've greatly reduced my risk of contracting infectious diseases by vaccinating.

5. Why mention "sterile environments" in this discussion? I'm totally with you on that point, by the way. But it has nothing to do with vaccinations.