Why don't you vaccinate your kids? (Read 1573 times)

"run" "2" "eat"

Firstly R2E is right.  I heart her.

drinking again, mate?

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Purdey

Self anointed title

Nope.

It is interesting.  I would like to have a quiet word with that guy.  On a dark night.  Down an alley.  When nobody is watching.

Purdey

Self anointed title

drinking again, mate?

Yep.  I love all of you.  Mmmm.  Beeeeer.

Feeling the growl again

My mother once made a comment to me about everything seeming so sterile in the US (ie bacteria free - not a comment on your vibrant culture) in contrast to the environment in which she brought up me and my two brothers.  We lived amongst large flocks of free range poultry and spent our whole days running around the farm covered in crap and chicken poo.  She was a health professional and, if I recall correctly (she has passed away, so I can't check), believed that children's immune systems should be allowed to develop and strengthen naturally.  She also was not a fan of vaccinations. 

(snip for un-Purdey like wordiness)

The things we tend to vaccinate against have serious or life-threatening implications.  Most of the things we in the US sterilize our kids from do not.  And yes, I completely agree we over-sterilize things here.  Do not feel like looking it up but studies have shown that children in households with pets allowed to roam outdoors have fewer allergies than those without -- the animals expose kids to more and help their immune systems develop normally.

This is an entirely different issue than protecting them from potentially fatal diseases like measles, mumps, HPV etc.  But one I agree with.  But you can get enough uimmune stimulation from non-life-threatening sources.  Allergies in kids were completely unknown where I grew up, and still are among kids raised there in a similarly non-sterile environment.  Go a few miles away to town however and there are plenty of kids with allergies.  Pretty striking actually.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Right on Hereford...

Likewise. And I'd love to have a beer with you sometime, Purdey!

p.s. Since we don't live on a farm and thus don't have a local source of chicken poo available, I make a point of bathing my kids in dog poo (we *do* have a local dog park) twice a week to strengthen their immune systems. It was difficult at first, but they've grown to like it. AND...they are allergy free!

You'll ruin your knees!

Purdey, could you please clarify one point you made.  Is there an easy distinction to be made between crap and chicken poo?

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nope.

?

You support Dr. Wakefield and his fabricated findings?

I stopped reading after British "Medical Journal."

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This is an entirely different issue than protecting them from potentially fatal diseases like measles, mumps, HPV etc. 

+1

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Well, the article linked in the post is a fairly important one on this topic.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Purdey, could you please clarify one point you made.  Is there an easy distinction to be made between crap and chicken poo?

Ha.  It takes a lifetime of rolling around in shit to recognise the difference.  A labour of love.

Purdey

Self anointed title

The BMJ is actually one of the more highly regarded journals that are published in Britain.  Less highly regarded, but potentially more entertaining, is "Big Jugs".

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The BMJ is actually one of the more highly regarded journals that are published in Britain.  Less highly regarded, but potentially more entertaining, is "Big Jugs".

Link, please.

DoppleBock

White stuff on top ... of chicken droppings ... 

Ha.  It takes a lifetime of rolling around in shit to recognise the difference.  A labour of love.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

you Europeans are a strange lot...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12160874