Why don't you vaccinate your kids? (Read 1573 times)

keeponrunning

(snip for un-Purdey like wordiness)

The things we tend to vaccinate against have serious or life-threatening implications.  Most of the things we in the US sterilize our kids from do not.  And yes, I completely agree we over-sterilize things here.  Do not feel like looking it up but studies have shown that children in households with pets allowed to roam outdoors have fewer allergies than those without -- the animals expose kids to more and help their immune systems develop normally.

This is an entirely different issue than protecting them from potentially fatal diseases like measles, mumps, HPV etc.  But one I agree with.  But you can get enough uimmune stimulation from non-life-threatening sources.  Allergies in kids were completely unknown where I grew up, and still are among kids raised there in a similarly non-sterile environment.  Go a few miles away to town however and there are plenty of kids with allergies.  Pretty striking actually.

+1.  Well said!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wow.  Just.  Wow.

Nads, CNN good enough for you?

Trent, I was just messing with the Brits.

I see he holds a patent.  Hello, conflict of interest. May I take your coat?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Gee, I hope there's some criminal case they can bring against him.  At least, humongous civil damages.

Just found out my potential babysitter for my 25 months old (that 2 years and 1 month old) doesn't vaccinate.She has a five and a 12 month old.

I've known her for a while (two years), she's great with kids and I trust her completely but this thread prompted me to ask. Since she was running a daycare - well babysitting one or two kids, I thought she must be. Stupid me. In all other ways it's perfect - ages of kids mesh well with mine, she has a similiar discipline/ child rearing philosopy etc.

I am only going to work a ten hours a week at different times - she was the only person willing to work with that.

My kid is fully vaccinated but now, not that comfortable at all. I know when I take him to playgroups, library programs etc there are unvaxed kids there, but to have that much contact a week. I just don't know.

I guess I'm going to have to start searching again.

xhristopher

Just found out my potential babysitter for my 25 months old (that 2 years and 1 month old) doesn't vaccinate.She has a five and a 12 month old.

I've known her for a while (two years), she's great with kids and I trust her completely but this thread prompted me to ask. Since she was running a daycare - well babysitting one or two kids, I thought she must be. Stupid me. In all other ways it's perfect - ages of kids mesh well with mine, she has a similiar discipline/ child rearing philosopy etc.

I am only going to work a ten hours a week at different times - she was the only person willing to work with that.

My kid is fully vaccinated but now, not that comfortable at all. I know when I take him to playgroups, library programs etc there are unvaxed kids there, but to have that much contact a week. I just don't know.

I guess I'm going to have to start searching again.

This thread reminds me of the old saying. "If you don't study history your bound to repeat it."

We're very, very fortunate as a society, likely due to vaccinations, that we've gotten ourself to a point where where many have already forgotten why we started vaccinating in the first place. Death sucks.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

This thread is like groundhog day.

Has anyone been persuaded? 

• Black Canyon 100k
                • RRR
                • Zane Grey 100k
                • High Lonesome 100
                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                • The Bear 100
                • Javelina Jundred (?)
                Purdey

Self anointed title

Yes

This thread reminds me of the old saying. "If you don't study history your bound to repeat it."

We're very, very fortunate as a society, likely due to vaccinations, that we've gotten ourself to a point where where many have already forgotten why we started vaccinating in the first place. Death sucks.

I think that's a huge problem. My husband's uncle died of diphtheria in North Dakota in 1948, my mum almost did in the 1930's in Ireland - her sister and brother were vaccinated by the younger doctor in the practice; my mum saw the older doctor who didn't hold with this "new fangled stuff." He suddenly starting vaccinating left right and center after her case - neither her brother nor sister got even slightly sick.

I belong to a cloth diapering group and at least half of them don't vaccinate. I have yet to talk to one other parent whose got relatives who suffered diphtheria. - that they don't vaccinate against it is no big deal. The same goes for so many more diseases. We better hygiene now and Polio wasn't even really Polio - it was a byproduct of exposure to DDT - I kid you not; Dr Salk did nothing folks. My kid does not play with their kids - I realized after posting statistics and links to medical journal articles that explaining why vaccines work and that no one ever said they were 100% effective and that the side effects are less than the diseases that any more attempts at education  would be a waste of time. Essential oils and lots of vitamin C are better than vaccines.

Off to make a bunch of phone calls to track down childcare. Sucks.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sometimes, even when you vaccinate yourself against influenza, by sheer volume of exposure in the community or at work, you get influenza.

Cripes.

Sad

Purdey

Self anointed title

I belong to a cloth diapering group

Now that is an RA Group that I haven't come across yet. Sounds like fun.

Feeling the growl again

Sometimes, even when you vaccinate yourself against influenza, by sheer volume of exposure in the community or at work, you get influenza.

Cripes.

Sad

Volume?  It only takes one with a strain not covered by the vaccine. Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I probably shook hands with 30 people infected with infuenza this past weeend.  My own case seems attenuated.  It seems that it is therefore a covered strain.  Just not adequately.

"run" "2" "eat"

trent, man... cover your strain. sheesh. nobody wants to see that.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

A Saucy Wench

(snip for un-Purdey like wordiness)

The things we tend to vaccinate against have serious or life-threatening implications.  Most of the things we in the US sterilize our kids from do not.  And yes, I completely agree we over-sterilize things here.  Do not feel like looking it up but studies have shown that children in households with pets allowed to roam outdoors have fewer allergies than those without -- the animals expose kids to more and help their immune systems develop normally.

This is an entirely different issue than protecting them from potentially fatal diseases like measles, mumps, HPV etc.  But one I agree with.  But you can get enough uimmune stimulation from non-life-threatening sources.  Allergies in kids were completely unknown where I grew up, and still are among kids raised there in a similarly non-sterile environment.  Go a few miles away to town however and there are plenty of kids with allergies.  Pretty striking actually.

It is getting so freaking hard to find NON anti-bacterial soap at reasonable prices any more.  I have to go to a store 3 towns over to get some.  My son was a pacifier baby and I used to see parents freak out when he would drop it, grab it and shove it back in.  Really? (and I love how the mom's mouth is somehow cleaner than the floor).  My daughter was a thumb sucker and I guarantee she went from crawling to sucking without purell.  I may be the only mom in my town who does not carry purell in my purse.  (or carry a purse for that matter).   I have even been so radical as to take my kids to the park for a picnic and let them play on the playground before eating.  Without purell.  HOLY MOTHER OF GD!

But yes, they are vaccinated.   Even though my son get an ear infection after the DPT shot every damn time.  Hmmm...3 nights of misery vs. Diptheria. It's a tough call.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7