Why don't you vaccinate your kids? (Read 1573 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

The risk of getting sick is 0.7% if you are vaccinated.

Therefore the parents of unvaccinated children are posing a negligible risk to vaccinated children right?

No Purdey.

They may pose a negligible risk to any single child. But if they go to school, play on the playground, are involved in other activities and have contracted the disease, the odds are pretty high that they will give at least one child the disease.

Purdey

Self anointed title

No Purdey.

They may pose a negligible risk to any single child. But if they go to school, play on the playground, are involved in other activities and have contracted the disease, the odds are pretty high that they will give at least one child the disease.

Not really.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why take the risk, if it can be reduced?  The risk of taking the vaccine is much much lower.  The risk of the disease includes death.

Purdey

Self anointed title

My children are vaccinated.

MTA: but not against chicken pox - we don't have that vaccine. We think it is a good idea for children to contract it early. Some of my DW's friends have been known to hold chicken pox parties.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We think it is a good idea for children to contract it early.

On what basis?  On what science?  Get chicken pox too young and your risk of serious complications and death go way up.

We used to do chicken pox parties in the US as well.  But we now have a different method that captures more children and causes fewer deaths.

Purdey

Self anointed title

On what basis?  On what science? 

Contrary to popular belief I neither run the National Health Service, nor take an active part in the setting of British Governmental health policy.

Also this: it is not always the case that America is correct.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sorry.  When you said "we" I thought you meant first person plural.  Seems you meant third person plural (i.e., "they").

You Brits and your weird English.

Wink

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Also this: it is not always the case the America is correct.

That's certainly true, but in this case, I'm glad I live in the US.  Chicken pox and shingles suck, and I'm thankful I can protect my children against them.

As a newish parent--I cant think of one argument against vaccinations that holds water. If I were to find out that there is a child at my daughter's day care that is not receiving their vaccinations and putting my child at risk I would be livid.

Im sure if I re-read through all the pages the answer to this may be there..but it seems to me that if a 2 year old child who has been unvaccinated picks up an illness that they likely wouldnt have gotten if they were vaccinated comes in contact with a 6 month old who is receiving the vaccinations on schedule--but hasnt been vaccinated for the disease that the 2 year old has contracted--the 6 month old will have a relatively high likelihood of contractring that illness. All because a selfish or ignorant parent knows better than all the doctors and science that is out there.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Sorry.  When you said "we" I thought you meant first person plural.  Seems you meant third person plural (i.e., "they").

You Brits and your weird English.

Wink

True. I sort of mean't "we" to mean Great Britain. Actually I should have said "they" to indicate "Da Guvernment"

Purdey

Self anointed title

As a newish parent--I cant think of one argument against vaccinations that holds water. If I were to find out that there is a child at my daughter's day care that is not receiving their vaccinations and putting my child at risk I would be livid.

Im sure if I re-read through all the pages the answer to this may be there..but it seems to me that if a 2 year old child who has been unvaccinated picks up an illness that they likely wouldnt have gotten if they were vaccinated comes in contact with a 6 month old who is receiving the vaccinations on schedule--but hasnt been vaccinated for the disease that the 2 year old has contracted--the 6 month old will have a relatively high likelihood of contractring that illness. All because a selfish or ignorant parent knows better than all the doctors and science that is out there.

I'll tell you what will make it all better: ranting about it on a running forum.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

True. I sort of mean't "we" to mean Great Britain. Actually I should have said "they" to indicate "Da Guvernment"

'zakly. 

See, in 'Merika, our Gubment is "We the People" and yet it is still them, not us.

MrH

it is not always the case the America is correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vh-wEXvdW8

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

RunsForCake

This is exactly what I wonder.

IMO schools (public and private) should be able to say "no vaccine, no admittance."  If people want to play roulette with deadly viruses they can homeschool.

Yes