Why Is the Republican Field So Extreme? (Read 2137 times)

Man, I hate those jerks. Joking

A few years out of date, but this is a more balanced and accurate profile of CEOs: http://content.spencerstuart.com/sswebsite/pdf/lib/Statistical_Snapshot_of_Leading_CEOs_relB3.pdf

I doesn't disprove any point you were making other than not all CEOs are Ivy league MBAs - some of them slummed it at Stanford...

Lots of CEOs from University of Wisconsin...shouldn't be surprised, when I went out there to run the Madison Mini Marathon back in 2009 it was one of the better organized races I've run.

Imminent Catastrophe

Our previous CEO was a Harvard guy. He over-leveraged our company, set himself and his cronies up with bankruptcy-proof pensions, declared bankruptcy, liquidated our pensions and is living comfortably on Martha's Vineyard with the proceeds of that pension liquidation. 

Of the true asshole CEOs, a disproportionate percentage seem to have come from the Ivy League and Harvard in particular. 

OTOH, My father and Robert F. Kennedy were Harvard 1948 and weren't assholes. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Feeling the growl again

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've seen that poster flying around facebook. 

It strikes me as rather progandistic though -- it almost reminds me of some farcical speech by massuh's favorite slave, lecturing the field slaves on how they need to work harder and be more diligent, because he (massuh's favorite) made it good, and never once backtalked, and never once raised his eyes to a white woman, and never once even thought about escaping.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The corruption inside the beltway has its mirror over in the corporate world, I'd suggest.

The rich owners have natural self-interest pushing them to buy laws, and protection and favoritism, to ensure that their successful companies are not threatened by upstarts. If they can establish their companies as de factor monopolies, and extract rental income, so much the better for their bottom line. Not so great for the rest of us, but too bad for us.

Similarly with the revolving door between regulatory oversight and oil companies, to pick an obvious example, after the gulf debacle. It seems fairly natural that the govt workers were inclined to turn a blind eye to corruption and law-breaking, because by so doing they enhance their post-govt retirement income, when they can rotate out to work for the same companies they once oversaw. And of course the higher management had all the pressure and incentive in the world to cheat and lie as much as possible, to increase profits and reduce costs. And if things went really bad, well, they had the whole system of "incorporation" to protect them from ever being personally responsible for their actions; that is really the whole point of incorporation.

And of course the "revolving door" and "you butter me, I'll butter you" has been infamous for decades in the defense industries.

I suspect that corruption is actually fairly natural to human desire and behavior, and suspect it may become even more so, as more wealth is accumulated.  Heck, slavery is probably a natural tendency of humans -- it sounds like a most profitable way to arrange labor.

Feeling the growl again

It strikes me as rather progandistic though -- it almost reminds me of some farcical speech by massuh's favorite slave, lecturing the field slaves on how they need to work harder and be more diligent, because he (massuh's favorite) made it good, and never once backtalked, and never once raised his eyes to a white woman, and never once even thought about escaping.

I'm sure it is convenient to think that one is not at all at fault for their lot in life....that they are always the victim of the machine with no oars of their own to dip in the water and change course...

There are some serious problems with "the system".  There are also a lot of people a lot busier whining about it than working to change their position, or own up to their own bad decisions.  Like banks being wholly responsible for all the bad mortgages, while the homeowners complained that they didn't understand the terms or signed without reading the paperwork, or consulting a lawyer if they could not understand the terms.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Seriously. We seem to have taken the victim mentality to a whole new level. No system is perfect and ours has its faults but if you are diligent, prudent, savvy and willing to take some risk, you have a better chance of success here than in most any other place on the planet. It's not going to be given to you and you have to go and work for it and therein lies the challenge for the crowd I see. Lazy in life.

I think a few years just trying to survive in a "developing" country might change a few minds of the OWS crowd about our system.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ostrich runner

As a high school senior I could have said almost the same thing as the douche with the sign. A couple advanced degrees and a half dozen surgeries for my wife later, I'd say he is as naive as they come. We even had to go to a developing country once to get health care. Now I have enough income to put me in a high tax bracket and enough debt that we've been hovering above and below the poverty level for most of my adult life. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

As a high school senior I could have said almost the same thing as the douche with the sign. A couple advanced degrees and a half dozen surgeries for my wife later, I'd say he is as naive as they come. We even had to go to a developing country once to get health care. Now I have enough income to put me in a high tax bracket and enough debt that we've been hovering above and below the poverty level for most of my adult life. 

I'm not sure why trying to live within one's means makes that individual "a douche", unless I am misunderstanding you?

Sometimes life throws you a curveball...like unforeseen medical expenses....I don't think that makes the signmaker a douche, or you and your wife bad at financial decisions.  It's just part of life, and very different from the types of expense and choices the sign discusses.  Certainly, if you start out in a strong financial position you are better-equipped to handle such unforeseen expenses than if you load yourself down with unnecessary debt right out of the gate.

I came out of undergrad broke but debt free...dirt cheap state school.  My first advanced degree (free to me via the university) encountered some issues and I elected to leave it early and pursue a second....and very expensive...one.  Had I loaded myself up with debt in undergrad, I would have put myself in the position where I would not have been able to pursue the expensive degree that has really been responsible for me landing my career.  I believe that's more along the lines of what he was getting at....making good choices.  I doubt your medical expenses were much of a choice.

As for your degrees, I too pay a substantial part of my income to student loans for myself and my wife's advanced degrees.  However, it is because of those degrees that I can afford those loan payments plus life.  In other words, that is "good debt", the kind that delivers an acceptable return on investment.  When you and I have our student loans paid off we will be much better off for those choices.

Now, if someone feels the need to go to a private school at $30-50K/yr for a bachelor's in English that will land them a $28K/yr starting teacher's salary, and fund it with loans, they need to take a few math courses to figure out why that's a bad idea.  I have no pity for them and they have no reason to complain when they could have gotten the same degree for a fraction of the price.  If they have to rent <<gasp>> for a few years to save up 20% down for a 30-yr fixed-rate loan, since the banks won't give them a 0% down ARM anymore, cry me a river.

I believe the overall point of the sign, and the reason I posted it, was that this person took responsibility for themselves and lived within their means, making wise fiscal decisions, rather than expecting to live high before they'd earned the privilege to do so...and did not feel entitled to all those things.  While I totally agree with some elements of OWS (CEO pay is out of whack, banks were given a sweetheart deal at the expense of taxpayers), there is a strong element of entitlement and victim mentality in this.  

Ostrich runner

And I disagree with little of that--it's the self congratulatory nature of the sign combined with achievements that are supported by public funds and acts that aren't available to most people.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

And I disagree with little of that--it's the self congratulatory nature of the sign combined with achievements that are supported by public funds and acts that aren't available to most people.

Fair, I can see that.  I think part of the reason behind hiding behind the sign was to decouple the point being made from the person -- the self-congratulatory -- at least that's how I took it.

Part of my reaction is I see a lot of these people out there in their early/mid 20s complaining about how hard the world is for them and they're not living the American dream....I am entering my mid-30s and up until the last few years I was poor.  At their age I was DIRT poor...but investing in a future, IMHO that's how it works, you start at the ground and build your way up.  So I have a hard time sympathizing with much of their argument.

MTA:  For the recent college grads, I can sympathize with how hard it is for many of them to enter the workforce today.

I believe the overall point of the sign, and the reason I posted it, was that this person took responsibility for themselves and lived within their means, making wise fiscal decisions, rather than expecting to live high before they'd earned the privilege to do so...and did not feel entitled to all those things.  While I totally agree with some elements of OWS (CEO pay is out of whack, banks were given a sweetheart deal at the expense of taxpayers), there is a strong element of entitlement and victim mentality in this.   

I think the overall point of the sign misses the point of the actual protestors.  They tend to get generalized by the media as whining about being the victim or about being pissed that someone has more money than them, but this isn't the message that I got talking to a few of the Occupy Boston people on my way to/from the ECS conference in Boston this week.

You hear a lot about CEO pay in general but more particularly about Bank CEO pay.  You then hear that what pisses these people off is that the big Banks are borrowing money from the government at hystorically low interest rates (the government says it is to make lending to small businesses easier to combat unemployment) and then turning around and lending that money back to the government at higher interest.  What this means that instead of stimulating the econcomy with low interest rates the government is loaning itself money and giving a hand out to bankers without the bankers providing any benifit to anyone.

No one told me a pity story about how much debt they personally had or tried to blame their financial decisions on someone else.

Feeling the growl again

I think the overall point of the sign misses the point of the actual protestors.  They tend to get generalized by the media as whining about being the victim or about being pissed that someone has more money than them, but this isn't the message that I got talking to a few of the Occupy Boston people on my way to/from the ECS conference in Boston this week.

Part of the problem is they don't have a coherent point Wink   We are left to guess.  Of course, as Jeff has covered, maybe their point is that they don't have a coherent point?  

I need more coffee before I try to digest that.

C-R

Spaniels said it better than I but if being responsible to live within one's means is being a douche then where does one go next in the conversation. I get the medical issues, we are there too, but being frugal in other areas and putting away just in case helped weather most of that storm for us. Life throws you all sorts of crap but did you do something when things were good to prepare for when things aren't? Not a personal question Beef but a general one.

I counseled so many young airmen as a 2nd Lt about finances (go figure that a 22 yo college grad is supposed to help 18-21 yo with finances). The vast majority of them couldn't balance a checkbook and spent money like a video game. It was hard to get them to focus on the big picture and try to tighten one's belt in simple ways. The one's that learned managed ok on some ridiculously low pay. The one's that didn't would be the one's I would get calls from their collection agencies. How many people actually save up prior to a large purchase of say a vehicle, televisions, etc. when credit is so easy to obtain. But once you run on credit, it all seems so easy until.........

As for all the CEO hatred, that one certainly almost sounds like envy in some cases. BTW - I am no CEO and didn't get a Haavahd or Stanford MBA. I've worked for some good one's and some really bad one's. Problem is they act to what they are incentivized as would you if you were in their shoes. Is a CEO worth 350 times the lowest paid worker? If it's based on what value you bring to the company in hard dollars, it just might be.  Depends on how it's done. If it is Chainsaw Al Dunalp's way I don't think so. The bank mess is just that a mess. Bad business and bad regulations = bad results

I think the incentive system is upside down but how do you change that? Government regulation? I don't see that as an answer. Shareholder revolts? Not sure that works either. Since institutional investors drive the boards and the boards drive the executives and they only care about the next quarter's result to meet their checks and bonuses, you need to determine a way to look further into the future for results. But then again, we are now an instant gratification society. Patience is not one of our strengths.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Posting a long rant is fun, so here's another.

One thing that leaves me somewhat confused at times is the cognitive dissonance of competing stories.

The US was founded by hardy individualists who worked hard, and saved, and made it good.

The US was founded on genocide (driving off or killing all the inhabitants), slavery, and indentured servitude.

The US is a land of hardy individualists.

The US invests heavily in incarceration, far more so than any other developed nation, and has large profit-making businesses built upon keeping people imprisoned.

The US is a land of healthy, hardworking people.

The US is a land of morbidly obese people, with a healthsystem which has costs spiralling way out of control, out of the range of affordability of any individual; only the super-rich can afford to be ready to drop hundreds of thousands for an uninsured medical incident, so only the young, daring, childless, and lucky, can afford self-employment risks -- except for the rich trust fund kids, of course.

The US is a famous, world-leading democracy.

The US is led by cronyist, corrupt companies in bed with the government and the regulators, through constant money pouring through lobbyists and PACs and campaign contributions.

The US fosters free-market capitalism.

The US tendency toward purchasable legislation fosters rent-seeking monopolies, and discourages competition.

The US is founded heavily upon protestant ethics.

The US corporate world is heavily invested in the concept of incoporation, and refusing personal responsibility for actions -- even to the point where "apologies" are always worded to refuse any responsibility for wrongdoing.

Such contrasting stories can be told.

Some like to sit around smugly blaming the poor for their laziness, their inability to save, and their unwillingness to work hard enough to raise themselves from poverty.

Some like to sit around angrily blaming the rich for the greed, and inequality of our country.

Personally, I like to partake in both camps equally: blame them all, that's what I say.

In the end what I suspect is that we're going to get hung by our structural dependence on vast overspending, by our structural dependence on a two-party system (both parties of which are hugely committed to vast overspending), by the spiralling costs of healthcare, by our inability to consider letting people suffer and die (instead of spending ourselves into oblivion "saving everyone at all costs"). The general feel-good, patriotic anthem song of "at all costs" is certainly part of our undoing, in my mind.

We want to beat people up in wars, no matter the cost. We want to save every baby, every sick person, every cancer patient, no matter the cost. We want to give everyone a chance to get back on their feet economically, no matter the cost. We want to save our banks, our car companies, our steel companies, our high-tech defense contractors, no matter the cost. We want to help, even coddle, our old, and sick, and infirm, no matter the cost. We want to keep our oil firms strong, no matter the cost. We want to invest in alternative energy, no matter the cost.

After all, it's our money to print.

(And I didn't even touch on the incendiary issue of Microsoft and Exxon and Enron and all the other big guys shipping all their profits to the Caribbean, to avoid paying US taxes -- heaven forbid they should pay taxes like us serfs. Nor the incendiary issues of welfare, or healthcare for unemployed, or for illegal immigrants. Darn it.)