Where have all the good runners gone? (Read 1621 times)

xor

In 1980 I was putting a BASIC language version of the game Eliza in my school's TRS-80. We were still wearing clothes from the 70s and Disco wasn't dead yet. Point being, shit changes. Some is good, some maybe not. The good runners are still good runners and have a lot more races to choose between. Not all good runners want to run London. And the great runners have gotten a little greater (see: records which have fallen since 1980). And... more people at the slower end are running marathons now than ever before. Didn't really need a fancy graph to know that. And this has absolutely nothing to do with "good" runners nor great runners. Participation is up. There are some good sides to this and some not-so-good sides. Everybody looks at it differently. I know a lot of 2:50-3:15 marathoners, men and women. I consider them good runners, while someone else considers them mediocre runners. If I took a time machine back to 1980 and lived for awhile, I'm betting I wouldn't know nearly as many. Especially women. I'd also kick 1980 version of me in the ass to pay more attention in physics class, not try to go out with Claire Hughes, and pick a better college. And lay down some good bets, a la Back to the Future II. It's just running.

It refers to a 2006 annual marathon report which currently goes to a dead page (http://www.runningusa.org/cgi/mar_repts.pl) and to a list of results of 327 marathons in the US in 2005, which apparently is a link of 327 result sets. The first page isn't currently working, and I definitely cannot click through 327 result sets.
      You are correct....the link is dead. RunningUSA has redesigned their website. Although the new website has provisions to display the RRIC 2006 Annual Marathon Report, apparently the report hasn't been uploaded yet. However, their 2008 Annual Marathon Report, which is uploaded, includes the same 1980 data.
      Let me see if I understand your assertion in the article. You allege that in 1980 there were 53,700 male marathon finishers under 3:32:17. You allege that in 2005 there were 34,629 male marathon finishers under 3:32:17. Am I correctly characterizing your allegation? How did you get those numbers -- did you go through those 327 marathon results manually adding up male finishers under 3:32:17? Are you adding up total finishers, or only counting each person once? Also, you speak of a decline of American marathoners -- but your data seems to be marathon finishers in the US. By "American marathoners", do you mean "marathoners who ran in America" then? (That's not really the common understanding of the term at all.)
      Yes, you understand my assertions. According to RRIC's 1980 data and the actual results of 2005 marathons as reported in Marathonguide.com's race results listings, the number of male finishers who finished under 3:32:17 in U.S. marathons decreased by 36% from 1980 to 2005 while the total number of male finishers increased by 115%. The 2005 numbers are a result of researching and compiling the results from all 327 U.S. marathons as reported on Marathinguide.com. See here for the data by race. The data reflects the total number of finishers, not the number of individuals who finished, some of whom ran multiple marathons in 2005. Of course, the same is true of RRIC's 1980 data, which makes the comparison apples to apples. I think your question concerning the meaning of "American marathoners" is a bit of fine parsing since the vast majority of finishers in American marathons in both 1980 and 2005 were/are Americans. For all practical purposes, the comparative summary performances of "marathoners who ran in America" represents the summary performances of "American marathoners".
      mikeymike

On the other hand running a sub-2:50 marathon is a pretty arbitrary and pointless goal. mta: or what srlopez said.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Sorry I pissed you off with my "mediocre runner" comment, srlopez. I just find it odd that this question is important enough to be asked ad nauseam on message boards, but it's not important enough for people to get out and train and actually change the facts.
            And lay down some good bets, a la Back to the Future II.
            Wow that is at least two Back to the Future references in the past week. Must have been a major impact Big grin Personally loved the 1st BTF, but not a big fan of II and III. They just do not make movies like the did in the 80's (Weird Science; Breakfast Club; Footloose; Ghostbusters; Top Gun ....) all you needed was a semi cheesey soundtrack and you were ready to rock!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

xor

Sorry I pissed you off with my "mediocre runner" comment, srlopez. I just find it odd that this question is important enough to be asked ad nauseam on message boards, but it's not important enough for people to get out and train and actually change the facts.
              You didn't piss me off. I think it is odd that this comes up over and over again too. I only utilized your word to balance what I was saying. At my current race speed, I think a 3:00ish marathoner is pretty damned skippy (even if my choice of 3:00 is indeed arbitrary)... whereas folks who are faster than that would not. It gets into the whole definition of 'good runner', which is a matter of perspective. Different for different folks. I'm not disagreeing with you and I'm not mad.

Why is it sideways?

You didn't piss me off. I think it is odd that this comes up over and over again too. I only utilized your word to balance what I was saying. At my current race speed, I think a 3:00ish marathoner is pretty damned skippy (even if my choice of 3:00 is indeed arbitrary)... whereas folks who are faster than that would not. It gets into the whole definition of 'good runner', which is a matter of perspective. Different for different folks. I'm not disagreeing with you and I'm not mad.
                Yeah sorry about that (do I have a marathon this weekend?) I agree that "good runner" is a matter of perspective, as is "mediocre." I do get bothered by these threads because to me the answer is simple: more people who had the talent to run 2:30 were into it back in the '80's. Things have changed since then. In some ways for the better, in some ways for the worse.
                  +100000 Kudos Sr Lopez ... as someone who thinks a 3:00ish marathon is pretty damn fast (Hell someone that runs 3:15; 3:30; 3:45 ....), I appreciate the fact you are one of the few who can relate and provide great advise/perspective to runners of many different capabilities....after all ... All things are Relative in Life!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Why is it sideways?

+100000 Kudos Sr Lopez ... as someone who thinks a 3:00ish marathon is pretty damn fast (Hell someone that runs 3:15; 3:30; 3:45 ....), I appreciate the fact you are one of the few who can relate and provide great advise/perspective to runners of many different capabilities....after all ... All things are Relative in Life!
                    There are some serious projection issues going on here. Who are the fast runners on this board who look down on or diminish the accomplishments of slower runners? This is why I hate these threads. MTA: I think I need an internet time-out.
                      I don't think I even understand the question..... All Marathoners are good runners ---- I personally dont care what their times are ---- if they did it -- they are good...

Champions are made when no one is watching

There are some serious projection issues going on here. Who are the fast runners on this board who look down on or diminish the accomplishments of slower runners? This is why I hate these threads. MTA: I think I need an internet time-out.
                        Well not sure about projection issues and sorry if implied that anyone looked down on anyone (your words not mine), sometimes it is hard for many to relate to others that are signifigantly faster slower, shorter/longer distance, older/younger, etc. And was just letting SrLopez know I appreciate his ability to relate to a large group of runners .... sorry if this offended you. I personally find his prospective very refreshing and beneficial.

mikeymike

All Marathoners are good runners ---- I personally dont care what their times are ---- if they did it -- they are good...
                          Well most of them certainly care.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Well not sure about projection issues and sorry if implied that anyone looked down on anyone (your words not mine), sometimes it is hard for many to relate to others that are signifigantly faster slower, shorter/longer distance, older/younger, etc. And was just letting SrLopez know I appreciate his ability to relate to a large group of runners .... sorry if this offended you. I personally find his prospective very refreshing and beneficial.
                            /internet time out Srlopez is the best. He is a good runner, and almost as good at message board posting. It's a toss-up. Me, I have a tendency to over-react at times. 'Tis a flaw. I just felt that my initial comment was misconstrued (easy to do, since I wasn't clear). The definition of "good" was not set by me, but by the OP. By HIS own definition, he is (most likely, since we do not have access to his training) a mediocre runner, wondering what happened to the good runners. I meant no offense to anyone who thought I was calling their running mediocre.

Lazy idiot

I'd be cool with mediocre.

Tick tock

Menace to Sobriety

I'd be cool with mediocre.
                                I have delusions of mediocrity.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.