Where have all the good runners gone? (Read 1621 times)

Why is it sideways?

I never thought 2:36 would be a foregone conclusion. Maybe I need to change my goal.
      If I don't have a direct line to The Man, how exactly do I know my God given talent for comparison purposes? This is a serious question. I mean, we all remember "the fast kid" in 3rd grade. But even if we're talking about the weekend warrior who manages to run a 3:30 with little training (while some of us are running 55-70 mpw to score a 3:20-3:30), how do we know the underlying talent? Oh, I'm not saying that "talent" doesn't exist. But I'm genuinely curious how this would be measured. As for me, God seems to have given me negative talent in the speed department. I was one of the slower kids and that ol' 50 yard dash President's Physical Fitness Test really sucked. But, thanks either to The Man or The Drugs, I seem to be blessed with quick recovery... so I exploit that. I doubt God much cares that I run marathons close together, but it impresses chicks.
      Valid points. I hate this stuff on message boards. If I had the time, I'd run 100 mpw and I could probably get a good sense of what my "God given" talent level is. As it stands, I'll end up divorced and I'll never get a chance to spend anytime with my children, so I"m finding out what my "God given" talent is on 55-65 mpw. Hopefully it's enough to get sub 3:20 in Pittsburgh this weekend. that may be mediocre to some, but it's still a far cry from the out-of-shape dopehead that I became after high school. So to answer where have all the good runners gone? The answer is nowhere,but jerk-offs with average talent keep asking the question.
      mikeymike

Hmm, I did not see "jerk-offs" coming. You just never know with messageboards.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Heh. By the way, 2:36 would have gotten me 110th in my AGE GROUP at the London marathon. So, there's that.
            but jerk-offs with average talent keep asking the question.
            Roll eyes
              Oh come on...I used to debate endlessly about this same exact question in another sport "Where the hell did all the good [horseback] riders go??" Seriously, you are on national television and can't even get your horse to the right spot five strides from the jump and you are competing in a five star event?? No, I'm not a professional equestrian, but I ask that question all the time and no I don't feel bad about doing so. (Oh trust me, if I had the connections and the green stuff I'd for sure go into professional equestrianism). So can you never question where did all the good football players go, or all the good baseball players go, even though you couldn't catch a football for the life of you? It's a freaking sport, get over yourself. And if you cared enough to ask the question, I'm sure you are out there at least trying to get better at said sport. Right? John A, I agree with you except in this case: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1173688/Peter-pulls-Katie-line-injured-model-finishes-London-Marathon-swathed-bandages.html Uggg
              DoppleBock

I never thought 2:36 would be a foregone conclusion. Maybe I need to change my goal.
                Faster - Faster - Faster

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

professional equestrianism
                  LOL - is that a word? Tongue

Menace to Sobriety

Girls, girls....knock it off. Don't make me stop this car.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Hmm, I did not see "jerk-offs" coming. You just never know with messageboards.
                      May have been a little strong-sorry if anyone was offended. It's just a great word to use sometimes. Not exactly vulgar, but not real classy. It serves its purpose perfectly
                      mikeymike

Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski!

Runners run

Menace to Sobriety

Not exactly vulgar, but not real classy.
                          I think we have a new RA motto.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

knock what off? Tongue ...case of the tuesdays
                              LOL - is that a word? Tongue
                              No. But neither is LOL Tongue
                                Confusing talent with hard work continues to make me sad.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs