More Science of Sport discussion on barefoot running (Read 2796 times)

xor

You're failing to perform as man evolved. You should throw away the shoes, any machine-sewn clothes, the glasses, any electronics, learn to eat everyting raw, rip most of your teeth out, and go enjoy the rest of your natural, 40 yr lifespan.

But I'm a-scared of the dinosaurs and the sabre-toothed cats.  Also the men who tend to the cats.

And I do not want to step into cat man doo.

This seems like commonsense, but some of my friends who prefer barefoot and had it help do think that everyone needs to do it.  I don't believe this as when I talked to an injury treatment guy (ART), he said he's seen many more injuries (granted, different injuries, usually) since barefoot has taken off.

Full disclosure, I wear built up shoes.  And after over 25000 completely injury free miles in the last 12 years, I have no intention of changing.  I like them.  I think they help my decidedly un-runner-like body run a lot.   I hope everyone finds what works for them, but if one more person gets on me about my shoes again (though I get injured less and run more than the most vocal guy in my life who does this) I might stick the entire stable shoe up his behind.  (I also wear glasses.  I'm failing my evolution there, too. Wink  )  Though I will say that I do go barefoot most of the rest of my life and will do barefoot strides after runs in the summer.  That's just enjoyable.

Can we really trust the "unbiased" opinion of Shoe?

Wink

Shoe

Can we really trust the "unbiased" opinion of Shoe?

Wink

I was waiting for that. Big grin

xor

I'd say about the same as "Barefoot (fill-in-the-name)".

I have trouble with Merrell.  They just decided to call their product 'barefoot shoes'.  Dude. I can't trust that.

bjoiner

I was going to post this but you beat me to the punch.

Terrible.  I approve. Smile

sport jester

Biomimeticist

There is far more to barefoot running than simply taking off your shoes. First and foremost is that cultures with economies too poor to allow for buying shoes, are also economies too poor to buy concrete as well. The human foot needs a soft surface for optimum natural interaction. That reality simply doesn't exist for the vast majority of shoe wearing individuals.

Second is fact that most of us learned to walk and run wearing shoes, which has completely distorted our context to understanding what a "natural" running technique is supposed to look and feel like.

Those who live in city or run on hard surface environments attempting to run barefoot are more accurately running without shoes, rather than to think its the same as running truly barefoot. that difference is conveniently overlooked by most coaches of both barefoot or shod running techniques.

Barefoot cultures don't walk like shod cultures, nor do they run like shod runners. And that technique difference is an advantage to them shod or not. Which is why after 30 years and the hundreds of millions spent on "research", no coach or athlete raised in a hard surface and shod culture has been trained to beat them.

Since the vast majority of runners seek guidence to finish a marathon, rather than win one, running without shoes is an improvement simply because they're not trying to run under the influence of having their feet literally duct taped to a board. But taking away that board of interference means you're left with a foot with 20 muscles that have absolutely no strength, endurance, or coordination in how to function.

The running technique that's promoted for running without shoes is based upon reliance of the only muscles in the foot that have any training whatsoever, which are the ones in the forefoot because that's the only place in a typical shoe that allows for any bending at all. The primary point of flexation in most shoes is right behind the structure known as the toebox.

With only one point of flexation, its no wonder that removing your shoes results in a forefoot landing process, because the muscles underneath the modern shoe flex point are the only ones with any strength in them at all. However that leaves out the vast majority of muscles in the foot that have no clue how to move. That reality as well is quickly overlooked by people who can't explain how they're supposed to function naturally given fact they've never been taught what that means.

And until you know what that means, you'll find barefoot running more comfortably, and reducing ones injury risk, but the cost is expending much more energy per step, as well as running at a slower pace. But if finishing the race is your goal, then there's nothing wrong with that.

However if you're looking to truly improve your speeds or actually win the race outright or maybe in your age group, then that requires learning how barefoot cultures actually walk and run; which Lieberman, BORN TO RUN, or any typical barefoot technique promoter cannot do.

-A 19 year teacher of barefoot athletics- 

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xor

Sigh.

What made you come back here, sport jester, after several years away?

mikeymike

Has it really been several years?

All I know is the return of sport jester has made me consider what a waste of time this space is and that I'm generally better off in almost all areas of life when I don't check in with this space for a while.

Peace out, playas.

Runners run

xor

Has it really been several years?

All I know is the return of sport jester has made me consider what a waste of time this space is and that I'm generally better off in almost all areas of life when I don't check in with this space for a while.

Peace out, playas.

A couple perhaps.  "Several" was probably an overstatement.

For those who do not know, this is not the fellow we all know as "Rich".

EDIT: yeah, the last time we all discussed sport jester seems to have been early 2009.  This is the animal guy.  Among other things.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Got away from recreational athletes.

Most of my private clients are all military. Running to them is a survival skill rather than an ego based one.

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

barefoot military training? 

is it for sneaking up on people or in case of poor supply logistics? 

Also... I tried last year to run like an ostrich but all I got was hyperextended knees.  So I've been meaning to talk with you!

barefoot military training? 

Ninja training, yo!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

HermosaBoy

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarmy Training, Sir!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Basic army recruits, marines, as well as Navy SEALS. 

Considering they carry over 100lbs every day in combat, the ability to carry, run, and move more efficiently is quite appreciated actually.

Feeling the growl again

Got away from recreational athletes.

Most of my private clients are all military. Running to them is a survival skill rather than an ego based one.

You must train the French.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills