Chicago anyone? (Read 846 times)

JakeKnight

Chicago is an awesome marathon - it was my first. I can't wait to do it again and maybe actually enjoy it this time. Tongue All I remember of the first trip is a great deal of pain, a whole lot of people, and discovering that it's hard to drive a stick shift for four hours after running your first marathon with insufficient training. Who knew?
    I managed to get across in 3:22... not a PR but a successful race nonetheless! Big grin
    Oh, for the day when a 3:22 marathon gets a shrug and a "not bad." That would be nice. I'd need a moped to do that now. And some extra gas.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

JakeKnight

My interest in road marathons isn't particularly high, but there are a few I would like to try someday....Chicago is on that list (Boston, St Georges, Dublin, Himalayas 100 Mile Stage Race & Everest Challenge Marathon...)
      Sure, but do any of them have flying monkeys? Hmmmm?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Wingz

Professional Noob

Anyways, I think I'll set my sites on a few HMs in the future. And maybe even a virtual 5K one of these days! Big grin
        Big grin You know, we've got 5K, 5M, 10K, 10M, and HM on the Virtuals now...

Roads were made for journeys...

vicentefrijole

Chicago is an awesome marathon -
          Yeah, Chicago really is a great marathon (in my vast experience... Wink). I like how the course travels through the entire city: north, south, west, lots of ethnic neighborhoods in between (chinatown, little italy, Pilsen/mexican, boystown)... and people cheering the whole way. However, it is extremely crowded. I'm lucky that I qualified for a preferred start so it wasn't bad for me... my friend ran in "gen. pop." and he said he didn't have much space to maneuver until mile 16! Tongue
            Great run, Vincente! I had a friend run it, and he said the weather was not the most cooperative. I'd say a most excellent time considering all you dealt with--particularly the strong, cold winds. Well done!
            My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
            vicentefrijole

Big grin You know, we've got 5K, 5M, 10K, 10M, and HM on the Virtuals now...
              I'll be there... but first I have to re-learn how to walk normally. Big grin