myths about running (Read 1897 times)

Because we run, we can eat what ever we want, and as much of it as we'd like. 

The statement/question made to a friend before the Chicago marathon one year:

"What do you mean you aren't even going to try to beat the Kenyans?"

A Saucy Wench

In line with the above

"Are you going to win?"  No.  "Aren't you even going to TRY to win?"

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jfa

I've heard them all:

bad knees             stinky armpits

hip problems        toenail fungus

missing uterus     hairy knuckles

man boobs           impotence

xor

The second biggest myth of all isn't specific to running, but gets trotted out all the time on running message boards. (second only to Pre's BS about running to see who has the most guts)

Yoda: Do or do not, there is no try.

Yeah, there is too.  You have to TRY.  Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't.  But sometimes you have to take a risk and push it.  3+ generations of people have been pushing Yoda's line... and it is full of crap.  "Do or do not, there is no try" is supposed to be about confidence, maybe, but it also gets interpreted as "only go for the sure thing".

George Lucas can kiss my ass.

dennrunner

myth:  running is stupid.

not a myth:  running is stupid.

The second biggest myth of all isn't specific to running, but gets trotted out all the time on running message boards. (second only to Pre's BS about running to see who has the most guts)

Yeah, there is too.  You have to TRY.  Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't.  But sometimes you have to take a risk and push it.  3+ generations of people have been pushing Yoda's line... and it is full of crap.  "Do or do not, there is no try" is supposed to be about confidence, maybe, but it also gets interpreted as "only go for the sure thing".

George Lucas can kiss my ass.

shouldn't that be

"George Lucas, kiss my ass he can"?

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

I've heard them all:

bad knees             stinky armpits

hip problems        toenail fungus

missing uterus     hairy knuckles

man boobs           impotence

It's not just the armpits that stink!

bhearn

This is a wonderful example of something that is not true, but can be a very useful attitude to hold at times. Like, "you're looking great!" at mile 20. No you're not. But better if you think you are.

Doc, my tooth hurts

I have a friend that has told me several times that "marathons are bad for you." He doesn't have evidence as to why, it's just that he thinks they are. 

I think Yoda was only speaking about using the force. Also, why do people trust a puppet?

I have a friend that has told me several times that "marathons are bad for you." He doesn't have evidence as to why, it's just that he thinks they are. 

I probably agree that they aren't good for you. Most people do a lot of things to themselves that are bad for them.  For most, the badness of the marathon is experienced only once or twice per year. All those other bad things people do to themselves are done nearly every day of their lives. 

You only have a set number of heartbeats in a lifetime and running will use them up.

Even if we were born with a set number of heartbeats, when you consider how much lower our resting heart rates are, we'll still take longer to use them all up!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In line with the above

"Are you going to win?"  No.  "Aren't you even going to TRY to win?"

Raced twice this weekend. Got asked by young relatives about both races: "Did you win?"  No.  "Who won?"  I don't know.

(In the longer race I came in 4th OA, and the winner was still way out of sight before halfway and long gone when I crossed the finish line....)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

bhearn

Why is it that, on the infrequent occasions when I win a (small) race, *nobody* ever asks, "did you win"? I've been asked (in Boston!) whether I won the Boston Marathon, though, because I had a medal around my neck.

Wing

Joggaholic

You only have a set number of heartbeats in a lifetime and running will use them up.

Even if we were born with a set number of heartbeats, when you consider how much lower our resting heart rates are, we'll still take longer to use them all up!

I have actually never heard this before but I did hear a variation of it long long time ago in my high school days. It had something to do with sperm count and nothing to do with running.

no.  this is true.

every living creature has exactly 2.5-billion heartbeats before the heart stops working.

but if you run 1 hour per day at 140 beats and 23 hours per day at 50 beats you are still way ahead of the guy going 24 hours at 70 beats per minute.

Interestingly enough, since this rule applies to every living thing, a hummingbird averages about 900 beats per minute in it's 5-5.5 year maximum lifetime.  Tortises have heart rates around 30-50 beats per minute.  And fruit flys have tiny little hearts that average millions of heart beats per minute.