New Nike + (Read 922 times)

Anyone have any expectations for this thingy? I'm contemplating making the jump into the gps world with Nike + instead of Garmin or whatever, especially if it's cheaper.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That article said it would likely be $200-300...so potentially 2x the price of a 305, which comes with HRM and the ability to use other wireless accessory items.  That display looks like it might be tricky to see, unless there is backlight.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That article said it would likely be $200-300...so potentially 2x the price of a 305, ...

But that's full retails v. street price.  What's the Nike gizmo's price in two months?

It looks nice.  For me, it'd boil down to usability of the device and the data site.  With Apple's involvement, I'd expect the user interface to be fairly good.  For data crunching, I think it'd be hard to beat (or even match) RA, and it would have to be a vast improvement over what the Nike+ site was like 1.5 years ago to me to ever use it again.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I'd want to use it with RA - I'm just looking for something that can keep track of my distance so I can run without having to stick to a pre-mapped route or mapping what I remember when I get home.

Julia1971

I'm not clear on what features it has.  Maybe more details will come out closer to April.

From the video, I'm guessing the watch doesn't have Auto Pause.  I run in a pretty urban area and find myself stopped a lot, so I like that feature on my Garmin.  (I have the 305).

They didn't mention a lap feature.  I use my Garmin for intervals, so I'd want it to tell me my current lap pace.

But, I like the integrated USB.  My Garmin doesn't sit in the cradle, so I have to rubber band the two together to sync.  It's annoying.

And, it looks slimmer, so I'll keep my eye on it.  Thanks for the heads up.

mikeymike

Expectations?  It will probably be pretty decent, Nike has great resources and generally knows its target markets well.  Lets face it, their user interfaces and overall software quality can't be any worse than Garmin's.  And they are partnering with Tom Tom, a recognized leader in consumer GPS products.

But if mostly you want to upload your workouts directly to RA then Garmin is the way to go for now since that capability is already built.  Any of the less expensive Garmins will do what you claim you want--keep track of distance and time so you can ad lib without having to stick with a pre-mapped route.   You can find the 205 for about a hundred bucks these days.

Runners run