Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

DoppleBock

It is a fine line - I finished my last real workout before taper starts for marathon today - 11 days out. 15 miles with 5x5 minutes @ CV pace. I may do a 5k TT on the track Friday AM. Since I am eating less calories, I have to be smart with them. So within 10 minutes of finishing my run, I had 270 calories of Endurox R4 and 200 calories of Whey protein. Then 10 minutes later 300 calories of Malto Meal. That leave me 1800-2000 for the rest of the day. The event that I am trying to peak / Lose weight for is FANS24 hour June 6-7th. Last year I weighed 203-205 range. I want to weigh 193-195 range, I am currently 201. I am feeling good about Green Bay Marathon in 11 days - I think since I plan on just running smooth and 95% effort, I will be relaxed and do better than if I was all hyped up about it. It will be my 1st marathon as a masters runner - So I will count it as a masters PR no matter what Smile

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Are we there yet?

Anyone had consistent achilles pain after running?? I know what the doctor will say so I plan to continue until after my goal marathon.
      bhearn

Be very careful with that. You can take yourself out for months.
          ChakaKahn - be very careful with the achilles - running thru will likely end badly - it is a slow healing injury due to low bloodflow to that area and weeks of healing can be quickly reinjured with just a short run. i was out for 3-4 months in 2007 by doing exactly what you are talking about doing. if you are determined to keep going thru your race; avoid hills, watch the speedwork, start doing eccentric calf raises (google it), ice, take ibuprofen, get a nightsplint and maybe heel inserts for your daytime shoes - and don't be afraid to skip a day if it hurts more than usual.
          - the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com

Are we there yet?

Thanks for the advice

Why is it sideways?

Thanks for the advice
              Also--stay hydrated. Dehydration and lower leg issues seem to go together. I echo alan's remarks. Be careful with that thing. And identify what's causing the stress on the achilles. (For me it was tight hamstrings).
                Just seconding the advice you've already received about the AT. I dealt with this recently and no amount of running through it helped. I finally had to take off a week and that did the trick. As someone mentioned to me on this forum, better to take a week now than be sidelined for months. Best of luck!

Once a runner . . .

DoppleBock

I had it pretty bad in 2005 - Both legs. I ran through it. Every morning and every night I would have the two 5 gallon buckets out - 1 with almost unbearable hot water one with ice cubes and water. Every 10 minutes I would refresh the hot water with more. 5 minutes hot / 5 minutes cold repeat for 50-60 minutes. I was taking 800 Mg 3x a day of ibuprofen I avoided any stretching of my calf - achillies I avoided any speed work outs I still ran the miles - slowly - Pain at times so intense I screamed out loud 3-4 weeks and it started to be a dull pain - then 4-5 weeks later - a faint pain Could just as well ended with a detachment - I was lucky

DoppleBock

I lied about last workout before marathon - I decided to do 4 miles @ T pace - was actually probably more 1st 2 @ T next 2 closer to 10k pace - Felt good - felt smooth. 23:39 - I am doing a little of a poor taper - I want to keep my mileage up for the goal 24 hour race - 3 weeks after the marathon - I feel pretty good, but this week will still be @ 100 and then 45-50 next week in the 6 days before Green Bay. I often just run speed workouts by time - 5x5 minutes hard and just approximate pace. This is the 1st workout that I feel would indicate that I have a chance at 2:50. I think it will come down to hydration, nutrition and taper the next 9 days and the weather the day of the race. It would be fun to get back under 2:50 - been since 2006.

DB - you obviously have the endurance, and it looks like the speed is there. all you need is a good day and the sub 2:50 is yours. (i have a ways to go, but i'm hoping to get there sometime in 2010, probably berlin)
                      - the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com
                        Just seconding the advice you've already received about the AT. I dealt with this recently and no amount of running through it helped. I finally had to take off a week and that did the trick. As someone mentioned to me on this forum, better to take a week now than be sidelined for months. Best of luck!
                        Hi Meg. Hopefully you'll turn the corner soon and we'll hear that announcement about when your next marathon will be. It looks like we are in similar boats--putting in reasonably consistent mileage but never really being 100%. If I remember correctly you generally get up to 70's-80's when completely healthy.
                        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                          UP NEXT: Dopple Bock - 05/17/09 Green Bay Marathon, Green BAY WI flovesparko - 05/17/09 Rockford Marathon, Rockford IL Good luck guys
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                          DoppleBock

Wow this morning would have been ideal 40F Low wind I did 10 with 3x4 @ vo2 max - Smooth - Things appear to be falling in place Wednesday is 8-9 with 2-3 @ MP or the rest of the week is easy ... until Sunday - A long MP run Big grin

Well if your not ready DB, then there's not much hope for the rest of us! Good luck!
                              DoppleBock

I sure hope I can find a pack to run with - Looks like 15 mph winds - Sometimes I do in these smallish @ 2,000 runners and sometimes you are all alone. I was happy when I read last weekends 50 mile results - My 47 YO local rival for a top 3 in masters ran a sub 7:00 trail 50M - He will bounce back and run a stong marathon (usually 2:48-2:49) but at least that should have taken a little pop out of his legs Big grin Sometimes a screaming fast out of stater comes in - 2:30 ish, and usually there is a guy from upper MI that is a 2:42 (48), but I do not see him entered yet - Last year he ran 1:20 and blew up. A top 3 masters finish would be sweet!