Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

I wouldn't say this about a lot of runners at this stage, but I think both you guys will be just fine with a 12 week plan. You've got the base and your prep races times are where they need to be. You're probably good for a sub-3 right now.
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

I agree with Jim & the others, Dakota & John.  You two have got 6 months of 60mpw behind you, that's a terrific base whether you are coming from 18 or 12 weeks out.

John, I did a slightly shorter and slightly easier version of your run today and found it pretty hard as well, it's gonna be a tiring few months that's for sure!!

Oh and Jim, is it possible you can amend my Berlin Marathon date to Sept 20th.  I think I must have given you the wrong date before.  Cheers!

As for me, I'll need every one of those 16 weeks I have planned leading up to October 4. Right now I'm not even planning for a sub-3, although I still feel like there is an outside chance. It's going to take a little luck and the best preparation I've ever had for a marathon to have any shot at all. Right now I'm looking at something between 3:03-3:08 if I have a good day. Today's run wrapped up the first week of new schedule. One down and 15 to go!
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          Sometimes I think the 18-weeks plans are too long. Sometimes in the middle of these 18-week plan you just feel tired of training or you peek to early. I've gotten a lot of success from the 12-week plan. I'll be doing the Pfitz 12-week plan for Chicago. With a slow 2-week start due to a vacation.

Right on Hereford...

I wouldn't say this about a lot of runners at this stage, but I think both you guys will be just fine with a 12 week plan. You've got the base and your prep races times are where they need to be. You're probably good for a sub-3 right now.

Cool, thanks for the sanity check, Jim and everyone else. I wouldn't say I could go sub-3 right now (especially considering how my legs feel after today's run), but I suspect that you are right about my base and prep race times.

Now a question for all of you experienced marathoners...should I pick a training plan, or just put one together myself? If I go with a plan, what are the pros/cons of each one? If I make my own, what should I do?

mikeymike

Now a question for all of you experienced marathoners...should I pick a training plan, or just put one together myself? If I go with a plan, what are the pros/cons of each one? If I make my own, what should I do?

That's kind of a personal decision.  What have you done in the past?  I'd say if you don't have some ideas rolling around in your head about what you should do, then maybe following a Pfitz or Daniels type formula could have its benefits.  You'll see a lot more similarities than differences between most of the serious plans so the pros/cons are going to be more about what you like.  Whatever you do if you follow a plan, read the whole book first don't just flip to the back and follow the schedules.

Personally every time I've trained for a marathon I've sort of instinctively known what I wanted to do for the next one, so I haven't really followed a cookie cutter training plan for a marathon since probably 2002.

Runners run

Right on Hereford...

That's kind of a personal decision.  What have you done in the past?  I'd say if you don't have some ideas rolling around in your head about what you should do, then maybe following a Pfitz or Daniels type formula could have its benefits.  You'll see a lot more similarities than differences between most of the serious plans so the pros/cons are going to be more about what you like.  Whatever you do if you follow a plan, read the whole book first don't just flip to the back and follow the schedules.

Personally every time I've trained for a marathon I've sort of instinctively known what I wanted to do for the next one, so I haven't really followed a cookie cutter training plan for a marathon since probably 2002.

Here's what I did in the past...I followed Hal Higdon Novice 1 (4 days per week, 100% easy miles, peaking at 40 mpw). That was my first and only marathon.

I'm thinking that a cookie cutter plan may still be a good idea for me, since I have barely any marathon experience. Feel free to chip in about which plans you guys prefer, and why. Otherwise I guess I'll order Pfitz on Amazon or something.

Well I'm probably the least experienced marathoner here (zero and counting) but I had this exact same question a couple of months back. Up until that point I had not followed any plan but had read quite widely (Daniels, Pfitzinger, Noakes etc) and used the generally accepted wisdom to put together an individual plan. As I came to the point where I wanted to plot out my schedule leading up a Fall marathon this year I knew a lot of the components I wanted in it but arranging them all together in the optimum fashion and then arranging this to peak on a specific date was something that seemed a bit more tricky. At this point it was easier to look at the various plans to see if one fit the bill. Pfitzinger 70-85/18 was very close to having all the components I wanted and seemed flexible enough to accomodate some specific changes I wanted.

So the question for me answered itself - I used a plan when it became easier to do so and I used the plan that was closest to what I had arrived at by previously constructing my own plans.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

Following up on the recent questions about training plans I just wondered what people thought about 3-5k paced intervals for the marathon.

At the moment my rough plans are by week:

4 x EZ runs.  A couple of which will include 3-5k paced striders.

1 x mid/long run with 10k or half paced intervals building up to 16-18 miles depending on the amount of quality involved.

1 long run with marathon pace elements (MP on/off miles, MP finish etc) building to 20-22 miles.

But I see some marathon training plans include some 3-5k intervals, do you think it's worth including any?  Or is it just too far away from what's important to be marathon ready?

"But I see some marathon training plans include some 3-5k intervals, do you think it's worth including any?  Or is it just too far away from what's important to be marathon ready?"

<style> </style>

My plan has a sprinkling of 200’s at 3k pace, but nothing close a full workout at that intensity level. However, there are several short races.

Wednesdays :

AM – 12 miles including 8 x 1 mile at MP with 1 min recovery jogs, or 4 x 2 miles with 2 min recoveries, then 4-5 x 200 at 3k effort

PM – 5 miles easy

Weekends:

Short Saturday race, followed by 16-18 easy miles on Sunday…OR on raceless weekends...

Long single that includes some quality; e.g. progressive, segments at M pace, etc.

Race tab inlcudes an 8k, 10k, and 10 miler. All the rest are short club races, between 2.8 and 4.7 miles; mostly on hills--9 total. The 10-miler is key prep, 3 weeks before marathon. Others are “train through”

Long run tab inlcudes 6 x’s 18, 3 x’s 20, and one each at 21, 22, 23.

My plan has a sprinkling of 200’s at 3k pace, but nothing close a full workout at that intensity level. However, there are several short races.

Wednesdays :

AM – 12 miles including 8 x 1 mile at MP with 1 min recovery jogs, or 4 x 2 miles with 2 min recoveries, then 4-5 x 200 at 3k effort

PM – 5 miles easy

Weekends:

Short Saturday race, followed by 16-18 easy miles on Sunday…OR on raceless weekends...

Long single that includes some quality; e.g. progressive, segments at M pace, etc.

Race tab inlcudes an 8k, 10k, and 10 miler. All the rest are short club races, between 2.8 and 4.7 miles; mostly on hills--9 total. The 10-miler is key prep, 3 weeks before marathon. Others are “train through”

Long run tab inlcudes 6 x’s 18, 3 x’s 20, and one each at 21, 22, 23.

Thanks Jim, that's helpful.  Wow!  You are doing quite a few races between now and your Marathon.  I'm probably only doing a few (the key one being a 10k 5 weeks out).  I may think about throwing some kind of 3-5k work in every couple of weeks then. 

Does anyone else have a take on this?  I might stalk a few logs to see what the graduates did before theirs....

mikeymike

Does anyone else have a take on this?  I might stalk a few logs to see what the graduates did before theirs....

My training is not all that different from Jim's.  I do hardly anything at 3k-5k pace except for strides and maybe a few 200s at the end of a workout.  I try to do strides 2x per week, usually on Tuesdays and Fridays and sometimes I'll substitute one of those with 10 second hill charges.

I do my big midweek workout on Wednesdays--usually 11 to 14 miles total with 4 - 6 miles worth of "work" at somewhere between 10k and marathon pace.  A typical workout might be 6 x 1000m at ~10k with 4 x 200m after with lots of warmup and cooldown.

I do another big run on Sundays -- ususall 2-2.5 hours with some kind of long intervals, a progression run or just run over big hills.

The other days are generally just 60-70 minute easy runs.

I don't do as many really long runs as most people--mostly due to time constraints.  I think I had a grand total of 3 runs longer than 18 miles before Boston and only one of those was over 20 (and just barely.)  I do however hammer the hell out of some of my long runs.  One of those runs that was over 18 was 19+ starting with lots of big hills and finishing with 6 miles flat around a lake at MP working down to HMP.  I had a couple of 17 milers with 6-8 at MP.  I also raced a half marathon, which I think is about the best workout there is for a marathon.

Runners run

My training is not all that different from Jim's.  I do hardly anything at 3k-5k pace except for strides and maybe a few 200s at the end of a workout.  I try to do strides 2x per week, usually on Tuesdays and Fridays and sometimes I'll substitute one of those with 10 second hill charges.

I do my big midweek workout on Wednesdays--usually 11 to 14 miles total with 4 - 6 miles worth of "work" at somewhere between 10k and marathon pace.  A typical workout might be 6 x 1000m at ~10k with 4 x 200m after with lots of warmup and cooldown.

I do another big run on Sundays -- ususall 2-2.5 hours with some kind of long intervals, a progression run or just run over big hills.

The other days are generally just 60-70 minute easy runs.

I don't do as many really long runs as most people--mostly due to time constraints.  I think I had a grand total of 3 runs longer than 18 miles before Boston and only one of those was over 20 (and just barely.)  I do however hammer the hell out of some of my long runs.  One of those runs that was over 18 was 19+ starting with lots of big hills and finishing with 6 miles flat around a lake at MP working down to HMP.  I had a couple of 17 milers with 6-8 at MP.  I also raced a half marathon, which I think is about the best workout there is for a marathon.

Thanks mikey - good stuff.  That's pretty much the approach I'm looking to go with.

Unfortunately I'm struggling to find a convenient half in the build up so I may have to settle for a 10k, which is a shame.

kcam

If you're going to 'settle' for the 10K as a key race buildup (which is not a bad plan) you should try to find more than one to race.  Run 2 or 3 if you can find them spaced correctly in your training buildup.
                              mikeymike

Yeah a 10k is a great distance for race prep and I agree that you want to run a few races in buildup.  I wish there were more good 10ks around.  I ran a 4-miler (in a snowstorm), the half marathon and a 5k before Boston.  I would have done 1 or 2 more races if I could have found ones that lined up.  The 5k was during taper and had more to do with getting a baseline 5k time for after the marathon than anything to do with marathon prep, but was probably a decent workout as well.

Runners run