Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

To start with the elite at Chicago would be awesome, hope you get it! 

At this year's Bay to Breakers race in SF they had an 'elite' corral and a 'sub elite' corral and then everyone else (65,000 of us!).  My relatively crappy and decidedly non-elite 1/2 marathon time  got me into the 'elite' corral.  Don't know what their standard for elite is but it's low!  So I got to get into the VERY front and run warmup in front of the start line with the likes of Deena Kastor, Justin Young and the African runners.  It was the coolest thing ever for me as I certainly didn't belong there.  Bad part - when the race started I got sucked into going out way, way too fast!  I paid big time later in the race.

I entered bay to breakers as a sub-elite a few yeas back, and it was a blast!!!! although the corral managers almost wouldn't let me in because I was in costume...

KC born 7-14-13. RC born 7-21-15

Old PR's: 5k 19:36, 10mi 1:07:46, HM 1:30:04, M 3:06:19

Working on a Comeback after baby #2

Thanks for the encouragement all.  If you are interested in checking my result, my number is 15340, as I won't be back from Germany for a few days afterwards.

I'm pretty nervous now to be honest, especially as I've currently got very sore legs from laying flooring for several hours on Sunday.  Dumb I know!  I must have missed the 'Don't squat for 6hrs straight a week before a marathon' chapter in my marathon guidebook!  Doh!

It's also looking a little warm for Sunday at about 75 degrees, but I'm sure it'll be a fair bit lower than that for 3/4 of the race so it shouldn't be a big factor hopefully....

Anyway, no excuses, Berlin here I come.

CONGRATULATIONS RR CHIP TIME 2:56:37!!!

CONGRATULATIONS Roth Runner!!! Awesome.

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)

Wow!!  Blew away that 3 hour barrier.  Congratulations.

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

Outstanding! I think we all had a lot of faith in you, but it's great to see that time.

Enjoy it!

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
            DoppleBock

I agree - great job, I can not wait to hear about the race.  Funny, Its on my "want to race" list ahead of New York, Chicago or London ... Not sure why as I live 2.5 hours from Chicago.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Congratulations Roth Runner. There is was never a doubt--just a question of how far you'd go under.
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                kcam

Congrats RR.  I was pretty certain you'd knock it out of the park.  

Nice job, RR. Welcome to the sub-3 club..
                    Last Runner

Very dumb! I mean you might have run 2:56:35 or something like that if you hadn't been laying flooring!

Running my first sub 3 hour was one of the biggest thrills in running. Even though I later could run much faster nothing quite equaled it. So enjoy it.

Run happy

berlin marathon is over Smile

still here for sight seeing.

briefly:

I raced the first half.....  1:29

BUT

I should not Smile 1:46 second half

result: 3:16

my second marathon with a 49 min PR...

I need experience and a lot of long runs... Smile

Thanks Ewart/NACN/ksrunr/John/DB/Jim/Ken/dcv & Last Runner!

This thread has been a massive help for me and I've learnt an awful lot from a lot of the people who hang out here (Jim especially).

I'll do a race report when I get a chance, though if I'm honest it was a fairly smooth effort apart from a tiny fade between 35-40k.  The half splits were 1:27:57 then 1:28:40 back.

Noyau, I thought you would probably go for the sub 3 after the 5k performance.  I have no doubt you'll get it next time with a bit more stamina in the bank.  You have the speed for sure.

The shirtless wonder

Guys, please keep posting about your training and success.  I've been following this thread all summer.  I'm not shooting for a sub-3 marathon but many people can learn from the way you all train.

"I need experience and a lot of long runs"

That was how I felt after I ran Marine Corps Marathon last year (race report).  I had a 10 minute positive split at that race and really struggled in the second half.  I learned that I really needed longer runs/more mileage.  Since then I've focused a lot on long runs while simultaneously increasing my mid-week mileage.  I've found that the long runs have gotten significantly easier as my mid-week mileage has increased.

Early in the year I started running 13 mile long runs until they were super easy.  Then I bumped to 16 and ran those until they were super easy, and then 18, and now 20.

For my goal race (Vegas, December 6th) I'm roughly following the pfitzinger 70/18 plan.  I've tweaked it a bit making many of the early long runs longer than prescribed (but not going over 21 miles).  I'm shooting for 3:10.

Congrats Roth Runner! inspirational !!!! I just got bib assignment for Chicago and Iam starting in "TOP 100" corral!

I did my first and last long run before the marathon on Sunday...

20.22mi, 7:05 avg. pace and did a throw-down 6:18mi at mile 9... I was by myself and tend to push it to get it over with faster.  I was soo glad to be done at 20. I couldn't imaging running faster or going any longer. Predictor of 3:06 marathon?

KC born 7-14-13. RC born 7-21-15

Old PR's: 5k 19:36, 10mi 1:07:46, HM 1:30:04, M 3:06:19

Working on a Comeback after baby #2

Congrats Roth Runner! inspirational !!!! I just got bib assignment for Chicago and Iam starting in "TOP 100" corral!

I did my first and last long run before the marathon on Sunday...

20.22mi, 7:05 avg. pace and did a throw-down 6:18mi at mile 9... I was by myself and tend to push it to get it over with faster.  I was soo glad to be done at 20. I couldn't imaging running faster or going any longer. Predictor of 3:06 marathon?

Congrats on the T100 in Chicago. I know they moved some women into the T100 who didn't meet the criteria.

I've really never run a long run that fast unless a bulk of it was @ MP (like 14-15 of it). However, since you said you couldn't imagine going longer. I think with a good taper and rest, running 7:05's isn't out of it. Since you'll be in front of everyone make sure you don't get dragged out @ 6 min/mile pace...

My training... I need some healing vibes. I've had a rough week with a mid LR flare-up of my right hip/hammy on Sunday and this AM I had to walk it in with a posterior tibial tendon flare up.... Ugh...