Goal of Sub-3 Hour Marathon (Read 15845 times)

HADD ?
    http://www.cypressop.com/misc/Hadd%20Threads.htm One of the main HR training guys. Posts a lot over on letsrun.com. I really don't want to be running repeats/intervals/etc. over the winter (Though its been rather warm here this Nov). I'm going to try this from now until Boston. See where it gets me..
      Hi Jim, My target race is a way in the distance but I think I should get my name on the board, especially with the strike rate on this thread so far! Berlin 10/11/2009 (if it's good enough for Haile's WR, I thought it would give me a good chance!) I'm currently scheduled to push my miles up to 50+ over the winter, to see where that gets me. I've only done one marathon so far (London in April), which was off 3 months of 35-40miles (Yes too little I know, I still chuckle/cringe at myself for going through the 1st 1/2 in a shade under 1:29). So I know I need to get my miles up to AT LEAST 50 to give myself any chance. I only really ran token mileage until this time last year so I'm hopeful the ability is there to go sub 3.
        Welcome Roth Runner, Mileage is the ONLY issue for you. Without a doubt you have more than enough ability to get the job done.
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        DoppleBock

Hi Jim, My target race is a way in the distance but I think I should get my name on the board, especially with the strike rate on this thread so far! Berlin 10/11/2009 (if it's good enough for Haile's WR, I thought it would give me a good chance!) I'm currently scheduled to push my miles up to 50+ over the winter, to see where that gets me. I've only done one marathon so far (London in April), which was off 3 months of 35-40miles (Yes too little I know, I still chuckle/cringe at myself for going through the 1st 1/2 in a shade under 1:29). So I know I need to get my miles up to AT LEAST 50 to give myself any chance. I only really ran token mileage until this time last year so I'm hopeful the ability is there to go sub 3.
          Welcome - Its good to have you aboard Berlin is on my marathon Wish list - I am not sure why when Chicago, New York and London are not?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Hey Jim, you totally forgot me on the list. I'm running Seoul in March 2009 (no official date yet). I'm still struggling to get the miles in. This is purely a laziness issue. I stay up too late and then don't run in the morning and get in my runs at midnight. The result is that I've been stuck at 40 mpw for the last 6 weeks, but I'm doing it in about 4-5 runs a week with really good workouts. This week will be closer to 50, and I'd like to build on this momentum. Or maybe I'll just start going to bed early. I haven't trained seriously since Boston. I have a 10k next week that should be in the 37s, and that'll give me confidence going forward. I ran 38:30 a month ago.
            kcam

Adeel I know you've only just started entering your data into the running log but too many days off, by far. I think running only 4-5x per week with 'really good' workouts is not going to get you to a sub-3 (well, with your talent maybe it will but it will be a far cry from what you're capable of). I'm assuming a 'really good' workout to you means running it somewhat fast or hard. You already have the speed. At this stage you need to be running more, and longer, slow runs. Toss in a few harder efforts here and there to keep you interested but that's what's going to give you the stamina to hold the pace you're capable of for 2 hours and 50 minutes. We'll be watching your progress - get those miles in!! Smile Roth Runner - welcome!
                Hey Jim, you totally forgot me on the list. I'm running Seoul in March 2009 (no official date yet).
                Ok adeel. I was punishing you for being lazy, but guess I'll put you on the list Wink I couldn't have said it better than Ken just did.
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                  Throw me down as a sub-3 hour hopeful. I have done it 3 times in my past but my last time was back in Chicago of 2003, so it has been a while. I will be doing the Illinois Marathon in Champaign, IL on April 11th - if I can break away and start kicking in some 50-60 mile weeks it shouldn't be too hard but with 2 children (1 of which is on the way) and a wife it has become a bit more difficult to train like I use to Big grin
                    I'm seeking advice from those more experienced. I have been trying to train running a mix of tempo and longer slower runs; however, I always find me self unable to run a realy slow pace (8:00-8:30). I end up running a little faster then I should have. I know the longer runs should be at a much slower pace. MY long runs of 20-222 Miles usually takes 2:11:00-2:30:00. Should I be worried and slow my self down so as to run for a full 3 hours?. Any other guidance on my trraining that I should change before the Dec 14 Honolulu Marathon.
                    2010 Goals 3000 Miles 1/2 Marathon-Sub 1:20:00 Marathon-Sub 3:00
                    DoppleBock

depends on how you run those runs. Wunning the whole run in 2:11 for a 20 mile run is darn ner 6:30 pace - thats a darn long MP run for a 2:50 marathon. I suggest 4 types of runs - #1 run the whole run between 7:30 - 8:00 pace - start at the 8 or a tad slower and as you warm up work your way to 7:30. # 2) run the 1st half in 8 pace and then a long temp the second half at MP or slightly faster - even end with 2-4 miles at LAT pace. #3) Run progressively faster throughout. Every 4 or 5 miles shift gears from 8:00 down to LAT pace the last 4 miles. #4) Run 5 miles easy, run 5 miles @ MP, then 5 miles easy then 5 miles @ MP - Finish with 2 @ LAT. But At least every other run should be long and slow. At least mp + 1:30 - If you feel good maybe a tad faster - but that is MP + 1:15.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Ken, you're absolutely right. This isn't my first marathon. I've trained for the last 2 at about 70 mpw with a few weeks at 80. The first time, I ran a 3:10 off a 1:26 half PB, which was bad but not terrible. The second time, I thought I was set to run close to 2:50, but got sick and DNF'ed (and later hobbled to a 3:33). I know how to train for marathons, or at least I have a good idea, but this is the first time I'm training for one with a full-time job, so runs get squeezed out in favour of going out. You'll notice that most of the days off come Monday-Thursday.
                          I'm seeking advice from those more experienced. I have been trying to train running a mix of tempo and longer slower runs; however, I always find me self unable to run a realy slow pace (8:00-8:30). I end up running a little faster then I should have. I know the longer runs should be at a much slower pace. MY long runs of 20-222 Miles usually takes 2:11:00-2:30:00. Should I be worried and slow my self down so as to run for a full 3 hours?. Any other guidance on my trraining that I should change before the Dec 14 Honolulu Marathon.
                          You mean that you run training runs faster than you can race? You just ran 25k and 30k races in mid 6:40's. A 2:11 pace for 20 miles = 6:33.
                            Usually, if you're training faster than you're racing, you're mismeasuring or overestimating the length of your training courses. I know a few people who run 5k tempos faster than their 5k PB. It's not that they can't race well, they just call a 4.5k run a 5k run.
                              Actually I meant to say my training runs are 18-21 miles. My 18 milers are around 2:11:00 my 20-21 are around 2:30:00. So my long runs average around 7:15 pace. Should I be running my long runs slower? And actually I still have a little problems pacing my self in races. Always seem to turn it on a little late and still have gas in the tank. ( I always feel I could have ran a little faster).
                              2010 Goals 3000 Miles 1/2 Marathon-Sub 1:20:00 Marathon-Sub 3:00
                                Sorry I missed you Mark; welcome. I've got you down for one on the April 11th in Champaign. Getting back to the training pace question, I don't think that pace matters that much as long as we are recovering well from our harder efforts and are able to get in the necessary miles. I'll be racing a 30k on Sunday, the final tuneup before CIM on Dec 7.