A Better Way of Mapping Your Run than Running Ahead (Read 1072 times)

I found a better way to plan out a run ahead of time than using Running Ahead's course maps, or GMaps Pedometer or MayMyRun or America's Running Routes or any of those others. I created a video about how to do it: http://news.runtowin.com/2008/09/09/measure-and-map-running-routes.html Very fast, very easy. Only real downsides are that you can't use it for trails, and you can't easily share it with others automatically (other than creating links and emailing them, which is hardly as efficient as creating a public route here or at any of the other Google Mashup sites.)

Run to Win
    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Misinformation Officer

Is this your advertisement? MTA: That came off as way more smart-aleck than I meant. My apologies.
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Is this your advertisement?
        Uh, no, he's trying to help.
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I believe the next version of RA's maps will do something like this. If using google, as the video shows, you need to set it from car to walking or it will respect the direction of one way streets.

Prince of Fatness

Great idea. Thanks for the tip.

Not at it at all. 

wayfool

Very cool innovation. It's a quick and easy way to get an accurate distance; much much faster in fact! However, I agree with the other posters: no way to share (I guess you could save the directions, but the link is very long) and no elevation information. It's too bad google can't come up with something better.
              jeffdonahue

Definitely much faster - especially for trying to figure out a long run. Instead of having to delete a lot of points and start over you can just drag the line out to a different street to extend the run and find out how far it is. Thanks Blaine Jeff

Much easier to experiment with different routes to find a longer or shorter version of a run. Awesome! thanks.
                  Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

I believe the next version of RA's maps will do something like this. If using google, as the video shows, you need to set it from car to walking or it will respect the direction of one way streets.
                    Thanks, Trent. One of my friends pointed that out to me a little earlier, but I didn't realize that it did anything other than change the estimate for how long it would take. Good to know; I've updated the article to include that little tidbit.
                    Is this your advertisement?
                    Uhm, I suppose its an advertisement for a video I made. I'm not selling anything specifically from that article, though, just trying to share a cool tip that occurred to me this past weekend. If you'd like to buy something from me, though, then I certainly won't object. MTA:
                    MTA: That came off as way more smart-aleck than I meant. My apologies.
                    No worries - I just wasn't sure what you were getting at. Wink You are sitll welcome to buy stuff from me if you want to.
                    However, I agree with the other posters: no way to share (I guess you could save the directions, but the link is very long) and no elevation information. It's too bad google can't come up with something better.
                    I think its great for planning a route ahead of time or getting a quick estimate if you aren't sure how far something is after the fact, but I still plan on using MotionBased or RA to actually share maps. It was very useful for planning a 15 mile route from the house for my wife, although I neglected to tell her how hilly the run was going to be. Builds character, right?

Run to Win

xor

I can't get the link to work (which I'm 100% sure is a problem on my side... no need to check the server side)... can someone give me the 1-2 sentence version? I may fix my issue today, or it may be next week. But I'm interested.

Prince of Fatness

Use the "Get directions" feature of Google Maps. Put in the same starting and ending point. Separate the points a bit then drag the route around to where ever you want. Change mode of transportation from driving to walking. Only works on streets.

Not at it at all. 

I can't get the link to work (which I'm 100% sure is a problem on my side... no need to check the server side)... can someone give me the 1-2 sentence version? I may fix my issue today, or it may be next week. But I'm interested.
                          Here's a direct link to the video w/o the text explanation: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15866996p2FKQAj6?autoWatch=true Basically, you use Google Maps directly instead of these mashups. Search Google Maps for your starting point, click get directions, and then enter the starting point as your ending point. Now you have to waypoints in one spot. Separate them enough to grab the line, then drag the line between them to different waypoints along the route you want to take. Google Maps will automatically figure which streets to take and will follow all the turns and intersections automatically. Once you have your loop created you can create new waypoints or drag old waypoints to extend or shorten your route, which you can't do with the current maps here at RA even ignoring the auto-follow the streets option.

Run to Win

xor

Okey doke. Got the gist now. Thanks for the info!

Running Dad

shill Big grin I always thought you'd sound.. i dunno.. different
                              Things to do this year:
                              Not get an injury
                              Things done this year:
                              Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??