How hard is it to know if an elite athlete is a woman? (Read 2189 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A nucleus with two x chromosomes and a y chromosome is identical whether referred to as xxy, xyx, yxx, etc.  The chromosomes just float around kinda randomly in the cell's nucleus.  I think you are referring to the phenotype, that a person with xxy appears female on the outside.  But that has nothing to do with how the chromosomes are described on paper.
    JimR

I don't see the issue...

Why is it sideways?

If she wore make-up and kept her hair long and more feminine, this would be a non-issue.

kcam

Oh NO WAY!  Sanya is a cutie.  A way better comparison would be Maria Mutola who is ripped beyond belief but wears makup and long hair and never had her sex challenged (as far as I know).

Purdey

Self anointed title

Anyone remember this dude  babe?

1983 I think.  1:53.28. 

Jarmila Kratochvilova.

kcam

Anyone remember this dude  babe?

Someone on Letsrun thinks she (he) looks like Roger Daltry. Nailed it!

Why is it sideways?

Right on Hereford...

Related topic:

The 2003 Female Canadian National Downhill Mountain Bike Champion, Michelle Dumaresq, used to be a man.

Is that fair?

http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200404/michelle_dumaresq.html

I am probably out of my depth here, but have there not been many cases where female athletes used male hormones to increase muscle bulk, and also had problems with facial hair and deeper voices?

An American cyclist who had to shave her chest, and the East German women's swimming team come to mind. Perhaps this is too simple an explanation.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

another option of course is to say there are no such things as womens and mens sports anymore.  I doubt that anyone prefers that.

#artbydmcbride

I am probably out of my depth here, but have there not been many cases where female athletes used male hormones to increase muscle bulk, and also had problems with facial hair and deeper voices?

An American cyclist who had to shave her chest, and the East German women's swimming team come to mind. Perhaps this is too simple an explanation.

Adding synthetic testosterone is considered doping and is against the rules.   For both genders.

Runners run

There are XX-dudes and XY-dudettes (people who exhibit physical traits of one gender, but who have chromosomes that don't fit the XX-female and XY-male definitions).

Running events should be gender neutral. 

Vim

that would strip medals from a whole lot of people.  is it worth it?  Isn't it a slippery slope from running to say... speed skating or tennis or golf?  Aside from college athletic department who may want to be rid of title IX I'm not sure who would benefit from that. 

you want a better example?  why is there womens competition in chess?  And why is the standard lower for women to achieve grandmaster.  That's a head scratcher. 

But I'd like athletics to stay as they are. 

Feeling the growl again

There are XX-dudes and XY-dudettes (people who exhibit physical traits of one gender, but who have chromosomes that don't fit the XX-female and XY-male definitions).

So the vast, VAST majority of chromosomally and hormonally (ie "normal") women should be excluded from any sport that is remotely athletic?

At my peak I was decidedly mediocre from any truly competitive standpoint, as pretty much anyone who traveled at any D-I college could beat me at my best event (10K).  Yet I would have beaten all but the top few women in the world at any of the distances where I regularly competed.

I'd rather disadvantage a few than 51% of the world population.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

If she wore make-up and kept her hair long and more feminine, this would be a non-issue.

Go back and look at these two photos again.  While Richards is cut, look at the difference in bulk.  Specifically, look at the neck thickness difference.  There's a far cry between the two to my eye.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills