Garmin - which one (Read 967 times)

I am thinking about asking 'Santa' for a Garmin this Christmas...... Which one is the better one for a runner --- It looks like the Forerunner 305 or 310 but since I'm not familiar with them, I thought I'd ask some of the people that have them. What do you recommend???

Champions are made when no one is watching

I recommend garmin 305
      2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.

Go Pre!

I am thinking about asking 'Santa' for a Garmin this Christmas...... Which one is the better one for a runner --- It looks like the Forerunner 305 or 310 but since I'm not familiar with them, I thought I'd ask some of the people that have them. What do you recommend???
        Why is 'Santa' in quotes??? What am I missing??? You make it sound like he is not real! Confused

Go Pre!

I am asking """"Santa"""" for this https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=27335

Bugs

John, Christmas is way too far away. You need go hop on the Easer Bunny's lap and bring him a carrot. Me I'd ask for the 405.

Bugs

Why is 'Santa' in quotes??? What am I missing??? You make it sound like he is not real! Confused
              Perhaps I should have said "Mrs Santa." And "Mrs Santa" in my house normally gets weird about new running equipment... "Santa" just doesn't understand this running stuff.......you know.......Santa doesn't run.......and can't really figure out why anyone except the weird, obsessed and crazy elves would do so...... But -- I'm usually a pretty good boy and normally get what I want.....Every now and then I have to remind Mrs Santa that I used to be a golfer and I would spend more in a month on Golf then I spend in a year on Running....and that usually helps a little too..........

John, Christmas is way too far away. You need go hop on the Easter Bunny's lap and bring him a carrot. Me I'd ask for the 405.
                Your probably right but with the Taxes that I just paid yesterday (WOW - more then I ever expected) and a trip to FLA in a couple of weeks........I'm gonna have to hold out for X-mas...... OR -- My Birthday is coming in the summer..........now that's a thought

xor

That's not a carrot, he's just happy to see you.

Go Pre!

John, Christmas is way too far away. You need go hop on the Easer Bunny's lap and bring him a carrot. Me I'd ask for the 405.
                    Every 405 owner I know (7 in total) have either gone back to their 305's or plan to buy the one I outlined above upon availability. The 405 is Garmin's "New Coke"
                    MrH

Every 405 owner I know (7 in total) have either gone back to their 305's or plan to buy the one I outlined above upon availability. The 405 is Garmin's "New Coke"
                      305 works best as a running GPS. Ugly but functional. 405 tries to be a both a GPS and a running watch and compromises the 305's ease of use (buttons and screen size).

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

If I were in the market to replace my 305, I would go with the new 310 (that's what Daddyo linked to above). Or another 305 on the cheap.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Imminent Catastrophe

I wouldn't go that far. My 405 isn't a total disaster, it is actually pretty good, with a few issues. However, if I were buying a new one I'd go for the 305.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Best Buy had an ad in the Sunday paper for the 305 for $159.99, but there is no availability anywhere in the Midwest or online. Just as I was about to bite the bullet and grab one up! I got a raincheck from Best Buy, but does anyone know what the chances are of them restocking it any time soon? Is the 305 going away when the newer model(s) get released? If there is little chance, I'll probably grab one off of Amazon instead...

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Best Buy had an ad in the Sunday paper for the 305 for $159.99, but there is no availability anywhere in the Midwest or online. Just as I was about to bite the bullet and grab one up! I got a raincheck from Best Buy, but does anyone know what the chances are of them restocking it any time soon? Is the 305 going away when the newer model(s) get released? If there is little chance, I'll probably grab one off of Amazon instead...
                              I would say that restocking chances are slim to no way. The 310 replaces the 305, so they aren't making 305's anymore. Deals to be had -- use google product search. http://www.google.com/products

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.