Garmin ANT Agent Upgrade for MAC (Read 1729 times)

ymmv

Here is the procedure:

1- start ANT Agent

2- a window pops up telling you there is an upgrade available, 'now' or 'later' are your choices

3- pick 'now', it tells you a restart will be required.

4- install the new software

5- click the offered 'restart' button when it is finished

6- computer reboots, ANT Agent starts.

7- you are now back at step 2 again. pick 'now'

8- repeat steps 2 thru 6 until you run out of patience.

9- eventually click 'later' in step 2

10- your garmin watch will magically have pairing turned 'off', so turn it back on

11- try 'force send' to see if that will move your data.

12- resolve to never let them try to upgrade something that already works

glad to help!

Thank you!  I foolishly allowed myself to accept the upgrade (I knew better really, but I was distracted).  When the computer re-booted, voila, no longer did it recognize that my ANT stick was plugged in.  Grrr, that paired with the fact that Safari is mysteriously freezing every 2 minutes requiring a Force Quit left me slightly angry and required me to shut-er down before I threw my Mac across the room.  I will try this fix today, and perhaps I can learn to love my MacBook again.

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks for the warning. I finally got the thing to play nice with my Mac. With Garmin, the motto is "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

ymmv

My MACs are using the upgraded (1.2.0, i think) version of the ANT Agent.

I have seen it fail to recognize that the stick is plugged in. It usually comes around and sees it. I have unplugged and replugged the stick when impatient, but like I said, it seems to discover it eventually.  Also, if I 'quit' the Ant Agent software then later pull out the usb stick, i get the scolding warning that i unplugged a device that is 'in use'. That is a new wart with the latest 1.2.0 version.

Also, FWIW, in my infinite loop posting at the start of this thread, the reason that it kept offering to install the new version was because it had failed to delete the .dmg file from the tmp directory under $HOME/Library/Application Support/Garmin/(someplace, i forget where)

As long as that dmg file was present, it would cause it to offer the upgrade every time, whether it was previously done or not. It also made it impossible to quit the ANT Agent without a 'Force Quit'.

Even before the 'required' reboot, looking at the properties of the ANT Agent showed that it was, in fact, at the newest version.

I have not yet found a reason to go back to the earlier version of the ANT Agent. Garmin has already conditioned me to accept a certain level of 'mystery' every time I transfer data.

Imminent Catastrophe

Hey ymmv, maybe you can tell me, where are the individual workout files stored on the Mac? I think it's .tcx. I can't find it with spotlight or whatever. If I want to access an individual workout, where the heck is it?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

ymmv

Mine are here:

/Users/tom/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Devices/3451350291/History

I don't think they store a complete history, but they delete old ones as they add new ones.