Who doesnt listen to music while running? (Read 3009 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So... whilst I hesitate to contradict people, I'm kind of perplexed by this "I'm faster with music" idea. In any race you go to it seems that the fast people don't have mp3 players - if it worked you'd presumably see some fast people all ipodded-up?

Well, damn...I don't race with music and I'm still slow...what gives?! Cry

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Well, damn...I don't race with music and I'm still slow...what gives?! Cry

Yeah, well ... me too :/

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And this.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

northernman

Fight The Future

And this.

exactly. the fast people want the prize money

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I watched the US championship 100M today; about half the guys wore headphones so they could rock the 100 to music.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I love music, so I almost always have it for long runs, easy runs, or recovery runs; but, I have taken to going musicless for harder efforts like tempos or intervals to better simulate race conditions and focus on my efforts. Although I do miss the music some I definitely feel like I get better natural feedback and sense of feel when I am totally tuned into the body and not my music.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

I like quiet. No music while running, no music while driving. My thoughts by themselves are quite amusing and have taken me on many adventures. :-)

Doc, my tooth hurts

I will usually take my shuffle with me and use it the last 10 minutes of my run.  Sometimes I don't even use it at all on a run, especially workouts that are more effort.  I used to listen to it all of the time, but then I just learned to love the sounds of nature.

dallasboycows

i don't like carrying my mp3 and don't have a armband.  some of my friends do and I've actually read it can lead to small decrease in bloodflow to that arm and lead to decrease muscle atrophy.  I'm guessing in a long race the decreased bloodflow theoretically could cause cramping from lack of the body to get in nutrients and wastes out by the constriction of the blood,.

KLW

I mostly run without music.  If I'm feeling pretty hyper I'll put on my workout mix and try to keep the upbeat pace - usually for my interval runs.  But if I'm just feeling fine and 'normal' I go without music, or, like another reader here said, an audio file.  I like the CBC radio podcasts (Canada).

I feel its actually safer to run w/o earphones.  And nature has natural musicSmile  

Believe

I don't isten to music when I train but when I rund more than 10 miles for races I listen to music.  It just helps.

sincerely silly

I listen to music when I'm on a treadmill since my view is a mirror of me or CNN, but otherwise I go without.  I think one of the races I was in said they weren't allowed (though I saw plenty of people with their mp3 players...) and then I found out that generally no one cares unless you're an elite runner.  So I felt silly.  But then I guess I figured I may as well start getting used to it for when I'm a BAMF old lady trying to win her division. :-)  That's a whiles away though...

Oh, also for safety reasons when I run outside.  But I'm just paranoid.  And if something were to happen I don't want to be one of those cautionary tales where "maybe if she weren't wearing earphones...". 

I also used to bike and so I'm sure to always be aware when they are calling "on the left!" and when I see them try and pass a runner who's too into their music and they get into a close call I get kind of mad at the runner with earbuds.  Maybe I should be mad at the very fast biker.  I don't know.

What can I say? I'm a nutcase.

shin splints are my nemesis

PDoe

Never.

Don't even own anything  I could listen with.

Troy.

I love music, but I don't want to listen to music when I am outside running. I do don't when I am on the treadmill, either, although sometimes I think I might want to.

It should be mathematical, but it's not.