In need of a Moral compass - Running bandit. (Read 1203 times)

C-R

Don't do it. It cheapens you and our sport no matter what logic you use to justify.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Skooter 3.0

I think everyone here has a valid point. I definitely think copying or forging a bib number is SUPER sketchy, but as long as it's not for charity, and you're just running for the heck of it, I don't see a huge moral issue with a bandit race here or there. I've run bandit a couple times before, but I brought my own fluids and didn't take food at the end.

Goals?

golddaveberg

Ask the RD. If the RD's down with it, then you're all good.
        I don't think he'll be sympathetic to the cause.. "[RD] is an attorney and counselor in private practice in Pepper Pike, Ohio, specializing in corporate, business and antitrust law. He is also a private investor and an executive in several companies throughout the country."
          This I find relatively difficult to believe. Possibly they might make a case for trespass, but I think it would be a difficult one to make, if you joined after the start and left after the end. I've seen people write that you are making use of their road closure permit, but so are the spectators who did not pay. Claiming that the spectators are stealing is silly to me. To me this risks the foolishness of saying that by entering a store to escape the rain, but not purchasing an item, you are stealing from the shopkeeper -- to me that is so implausible as to be silly. This is not that implausible, but I still find it pretty implausible to call it stealing. Feel welcome and invited to argue and critique. Or even to just scold (but I'm not sure how useful that is).
          Well you are stealing a Service ... Correct? What if you enter a Movie 30 seconds after it starts and leave 30 seconds before it ends and did not pay? Or how about jumping out of the chair and running out of the Barbershop right before he is done without paying? Well you get the picture ... Well maybe not. Let me know what type of business/where you may work and will be glad to send a lot of people your way to happen to be using your product/service at the same time you are trying to run your business and just not pay.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

mikeymike

This I find relatively difficult to believe. Possibly they might make a case for trespass, but I think it would be a difficult one to make, if you joined after the start and left after the end. I've seen people write that you are making use of their road closure permit, but so are the spectators who did not pay. Claiming that the spectators are stealing is silly to me. To me this risks the foolishness of saying that by entering a store to escape the rain, but not purchasing an item, you are stealing from the shopkeeper -- to me that is so implausible as to be silly. This is not that implausible, but I still find it pretty implausible to call it stealing. Feel welcome and invited to argue and critique. Or even to just scold (but I'm not sure how useful that is).
            You're stealing the race. It's stealing. Just because you in all likelihood would never be prosecuted for it doesn't change the fact it's stealing. If I take an apple off the ground under an apple tree in someone's front yard by reaching in with my feet still on the sidewalk, I'm stealing. Is it the worst thing in the world? Hell no. Are there many, many homeowners who wouldn't care at all and would even offer you an apple right off the tree? Sure. But unless I have permission, I'm stealing. And thanks for the invite to argue on a message board. 'prec.

Runners run

Imminent Catastrophe

theft of services.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Slo

Why does this race cost $85 dollars and not $20,000..........Because all the legit racers / participants shared the cost !
                  Family members and friends of people who ran stealing food and water near the finish line is much more prevalent than people running bandit in the races I've been to. As long as you run without getting in the way of paying customers then it doesn't bother me.
                    Sure it's stealing, but you'd probably never get convicted. They'd plea bargain it down to douchebaggery. Not something I'd want on my record.
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

theft of services.
                      Hm, this sounds reasonable -- but are all the spectators also stealing the road closure service? Actually, you're about to convince me that they are also stealing it....

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Sure it's stealing, but you'd probably never get convicted. They'd plea bargain it down to douchebaggery. Not something I'd want on my record.
                        Yeah, I think you end up on the National Douche Bag Registry for like 10 years or something...not cool...

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

mikeymike

People get hung up on the road closure bit. Forget that part. Lots of races don't even close the roads. The race itself is a service. The whole thing. Lets move on.

Runners run

xor

Banditry threads are always somewhat fascinating (and annoying), but one that starts with 'in need of a moral compass' is very special. Look, you don't need people here to give you a moral compass. You got some of that from your family and perhaps your faith... but mostly, it's that thing that already exists within you that makes your brain say "huh, there's something hinky about this". In those situations, it's easiest and sometimes best just to follow that through and not do the hinky thing. But if you CHOOSE to do it anyway, have at it. The consequences may be minimal. Point being, you already know it is not-quite-right. And it would seem that you are here so that people will tell you that it is not as bad as other not-quite-right things. Does that really matter? As for stealing, I'll take AP's bait. It's theft of services. This is a little different than kiping an apple at the grocery store. I'm not sure that the 'duck into the store to escape the rain' analogy works. It's more like ducking into an ER because you have the sniffles... getting them to take your vitals and such... and then bailing (admittedly my analogy doesn't quite work either because these days you don't get to the triage nurse unless you are near death or have already given some form of insurance/pmt stuff). Are you really taking anything away from other runners by being there? Does it really matter that you are using closed roads which are gonna be closed regardless of you? Is it wrong to be there simply to soak up the vibes of fellowship with the other runners and have a much more pleasant long run than if you did it by yourself? Yes, in my opinion. Not because 'you are in the way'. Although maybe you are. That's too hard to prove unless you are specifically holding up an ambulance or something kooky which you wouldn't do. But simply because every other person around you has paid for the same experience. They all paid. You didn't. Moral compass, like Peter, points North. If you run in a crowd of 10 registered runners and they know you are banditing, one might be of the 'stick it to the man' mindset. A few won't care. A few will care a little. One or two might want to kick you in the nuts. Is it wrong? Sure. But you already know that, or you wouldn't have posted this. Should you not do it? That's for you and Peter North to decide.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

After briefly glancing over a few seach results, I'm amazed at how much the state definitions of theft of services vary -- clearly this is not theft of services in some states -- I suspect there are some in which it qualifies but I didn't encounter them, but then again, my attention span didn't last all that long...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

And BTW. Do not image google 'Peter North' if you have safe search off and are at work. Especially do NOT do this if you have no idea who Peter North is. And for the record, I ignore my moral compass all the time. Another reason the "duck into X to escape the rain" analogy doesn't work that much is because you aren't going into X with the intention of doing what other people are paying to do, but without paying. It's really that simple. Everyone else is paying to do the thing you want to do for free. Maybe that makes them suckers, but the event was set up as "you get to do this if you pay us" and you want to do it without paying. The End.