In need of a Moral compass - Running bandit. (Read 1203 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hm, this sounds reasonable -- but are all the spectators also stealing the road closure service? Actually, you're about to convince me that they are also stealing it....
    If there was an admissions charge for spectators, then yes. Otherwise, no. It's not complicated. Bandits DO take up room on the course. This year, the Beach to Beacon 10K race filled up in under two hours. A lot of people were really annoyed that they couldn't register online because everything froze with the big rush. Does that make it OK for them to just show up and run, anyway? It's already a crowded race. The race organizers need to plan for the number of people they think can be accommodated on race day. "Moral relativism" is such fun, hearing all the excuses for doing something wrong!
      One or two might want to kick you in the nuts.
      That would be me. The kicker ... not the kickee! Great post. yada ..yada "kick you in the nuts" ... yada ... yada. What else do you need for a good post. It works for americas finniest videos.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

mikeymike

The End.
        Don't we all wish.

Runners run

kcam

Everyone else is paying to do the thing you want to do for free. Maybe that makes them suckers, but the event was set up as "you get to do this if you pay us" and you want to do it without paying. The End.
          No. Everyone else is paying to RACE and obtain a by-gawd-official finish time that they can love and fret over and write RRs and maybe even show off to all their friends on RA. A few are also excited about their finishers medal and Tshirt. This fellow won't get an official finish time, a medal or a Tshirt - he won't even be listed in the results. The Oh-so-ficcial Finish Time is, really, what you're paying for.

You'll ruin your knees!

Ask the RD. If the RD's down with it, then you're all good.
            +1 If you don't have the nerve, desire, whatever, to ask, don't show up.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

The Oh-so-ficcial Finish Time is, really, what you're paying for.
              I think this post ends the debate. If he is only missing out on the finish time then he should just wear a watch and do a 26 mile training run on his own.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

Best Present Ever

Sure it's stealing, but you'd probably never get convicted. They'd plea bargain it down to douchebaggery. Not something I'd want on my record.
                Having had lengthy discussions with several Virginia prosecutors about this, I can say that in Virginia at least, as long as you are not taking any items provided (water, Gu, medals, etc), you are not stealing anything. The roads are closed to cars and not to pedestrians, so you are not trespassing. If a law enforcement officer tells you to get off the route, you have to obey, of course, but the mere fact of being on the course doesn't constitute trespass. The ethics are a whole 'nother point to argue, but the legal argument is pretty weak.
                  I don't think he'll be sympathetic to the cause.. "[RD] is an attorney and counselor in private practice in Pepper Pike, Ohio, specializing in corporate, business and antitrust law. He is also a private investor and an executive in several companies throughout the country."
                  then by all means go ahead. you'd only be stealin' from the man. (I have to admit my bias since I am also a private investor in several companies. For example my 401k tells me I own 0.0000000000001% of Microsoft)

jpnairn

straw man

>Ask the RD. If the RD's down with it, then you're all good. I don't think he'll be sympathetic to the cause..
                    So there you go. Don't do it. You're asking the wrong people here. The people to ask if it is OK are the registered runners, the RD, the charity, all of the parties your decision has an impact on. It doesn't affect me.

He who has the best time wins. Jerry

xor

The Oh-so-ficcial Finish Time is, really, what you're paying for.
                      I'd be willing to bet that many of the folks who pony up triple digits for NYCM, the rnr series, etc are doing it for a heck of a lot more than simply the time, the medal, and the shirt. It's about the experience. I can't quantify "the experience", and it is why these threads suck because it gets people sniping at each other for the dumbassest of dumbass reasons. It is a fucking event that other people paid fucking money to fucking run. If you want to fucking do it without fucking paying, have fucking at it. I don't care. Unless you are the bandit next to me, and then I might kick you in the nuts.

Why is it sideways?

I don't think he'll be sympathetic to the cause.. "[RD] is an attorney and counselor in private practice in Pepper Pike, Ohio, specializing in corporate, business and antitrust law. He is also a private investor and an executive in several companies throughout the country."
                        Why do you think these things would make him unsympathetic? My experience with most RD's is that if you ask them for special treatment that doesn't cost them any effort and doesn't bother anyone else's race experience, then they are happy to oblige. RD's are generally nice and accomodating folks: they give up their Saturday mornings to make cool stuff happen for lots of folk, generally with no compensation--unless you count doing cool stuff for other folks as a form of compensation.
                        "Moral relativism" is such fun, hearing all the excuses for doing something wrong!
                        /geeky philosopher on 'Moral relativism' as a philosophical point of view has absolutely no relation to the practice of making up excuses for doing something wrong. Moral relativism is the belief that what is right or wrong is determined historically and contextually by people and communities working through problems. It is opposed to moral absolutism which thinks that what is right or wrong is determined atemporally through a transcendental faculty of reason, through moral intuition, or by divine command.
                          I kind of like it when srlopez gets all riled up. I don't get to see it often.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

xor

Heh. I'm not riled up, but I did want to throw in the Planes Trains & Automobiles "overuse of the term 'fucking'" for fun. If my posts involve Peter North, I can't be *that* miffed. I really do see this as a simple thing. But like I said, I ignore my moral compass all the time, sometimes in favor of my morale compass.

golddaveberg

This has been most educational. I haven't really heard a good argument either way and a lot of people are only reading what they want to read out of other peoples posts. I'll probably end up paying - but if not, i will be sure to wear a cup.

Why is it sideways?

This has been most educational. I haven't really heard a good argument either way and a lot of people are only reading what they want to read out of other peoples posts. I'll probably end up paying - but if not, i will be sure to wear a cup.
                                What would count as a good argument?