Positives of cold weather running (Read 1059 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Winter is a sucky place to run in a lot of parts of the world thanks to ice, snow, and arctic temps. But what are some of the benefits to outdoor running in the frigid North? My list: less need for Body Glide or SportShield, since there are fewer areas of skin to rub other areas of skin long pants/tights = less frequent leg shaving fuzzy fleecy stuff no pollen floating around in the air HTFU points

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Weird looks from the community.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Weird looks from the community.
        Oh, yeah...I love it when the snowmobilers look at me like this: ShockedConfused

~ Sarah Kay

I really don't see any benefit, lol, but god bless you, zoom, for trying to find some.
          And who am I anyway?
          Just another fat jogger, evidently.
            Cold weather running for me is the very best time to build and maintain miles. Long slow distance running in cold weather (if your properly dressed) is great.......much better (at least for me) then doing the same in on the hot humid summer days. Smile Big grin Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, I forgot another one...running on loose snow and ice makes my legs REALLY strong.

~ Sarah Kay

an amazing likeness

Shoes not squishy with sweat. No need to head out early and stash fluids. That cool, crunchy sound your feet make in the dry snow.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

In winter darkness here comes early, but very, very slow... . And on those freezing cold evenings, it is so beautiful outside. You're almost the only person outside, the haze appears above the meadows and the waters, the first stars start twinkling in the darkening sky. Often there is the moon, that shines so bright I don't even need a flashlight. OK, it's cold, but as my mother always said: it's easier to dress for the cold than for the heat... And then coming home, and jumping under a steaming heat shower, putting on the most comfortable things, and curling up in a seat with a nice cup of tea and a good novel...

Running in Belgium
                  Ann

#artbydmcbride

Less sweat falling in my eyes, ....that's it...I got nothin' else. Big grin

Runners run

Less sweat falling in my eyes, ....that's it...I got nothin' else. Big grin
                      You're lucky. I sweat just as bad in the winter. Another benefit is that you're quicker to wash loads of laundry, because you have more sweaty clothes that you don't want to stink up the house.
                      AroundTheHorn

I hate running in the cold.
                        Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
                        PDoe

No deer flies to swat.
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

Cold weather running for me is the very best time to build and maintain miles. Long slow distance running in cold weather (if your properly dressed) is great.......much better (at least for me) then doing the same in on the hot humid summer days. Smile Big grin Wink
                            +1. I love running in the cold! Natural air-conditioning. Running in the heat sucks.
                              I really don't see any benefit, lol, but god bless you, zoom, for trying to find some.
                              Echoed.

Menace to Sobriety

Well there's cold and then there's f'in' Michigan cold. Here in SC, its rarely below 30 even before daylight, and we almost never get snow, but maybe sleet 2 or 3 times per year. I love winter running here, maybe an extra layer on top, gloves and hat, and out the door. Originally from Milwaukee, but lived in points south too long to ever want to go back other than a visit.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.