place to buy cheap socks? (Read 1755 times)

So I'm poking around on-line trying to find a good place to buy my husband some decent running socks (his are all cotton), and I thought I'd buy my kids some wool socks for the winter as well. 

REI with 10% discount for multiple sock purchase:  $108.00

That's one pair of socks each for 7 kids and 2 adults, plus an extra pair because I have one son between sizes.  Surely I can do better than this, but where?  I tried Sierra Trading Post but their selection is very limited.  Backcountry was worse.  Any others I can check out, or am I really going to spend over $100 to shod my offspring and spouse for the winter? 

"We are not talking about gorse-bushes," said Owl crossly. "I am," said Pooh.

don't buy cheap running socks - buy cheap hats / shorts / jackets / shirts -- but keep your feet [or those of your hubby] free from blisters, etc and make a decent investment is quality synthetics.  Different folks have favorites, but for me it Balega.  MTA - spelling

2012= under-goaled

If you're willing to take a risk, you can go on eBay.  BUT it may be nice to pick 'em up at your local running store. Running stores can be a good place to connect with the local running community.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xor

Oh yes, I'm a huge (unpaid) shill for balega as well.  With one exception... balega roads socks are my favs.  Balega trail socks are entirely different creatures and, in my opinion, not nearly as good.

That said, Jennifer con Siete is asking a compound question that makes things more challenging: where to buy decent running socks AND wool socks for da family (collectively known as 'the baseball team') at a reasonable price.

I dunno.

But I do like Balega socks.  Spendy, but worth it because they are good socks that have lasted me for several years of lotsa-running.  Cheap socks may give you blisters, and might disintegrate quickly (like, alas, the balega trail socks) meaning you wind up spending more.

Some of the online running shoe stores have closeouts on discontinued models. Runningwarehouse would be one suggestion.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

TJ Maxx! They carry some addidas coolmax socks that I like...I also got a pair of Thorlos for $3.99 there last Saturday Smile

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

kcam

Are you ready for the best deal on athletic socks you're ever gonna find??

Well, then click this (you have to be willing to accept 'hip' socks) .... http://shop.nlzwear.com/product.sc?productId=17&categoryId=1

if that's not good enough then this should do it ... http://shop.nlzwear.com/product.sc?productId=12&categoryId=1 

gregw

I wear cheap Champion coolmax socks.  They have them here at $7 for 3 pairs. I think I get them cheaper than that at Costco when they have them.  I have a few pairs of Thorlos and these seem to work just as well for me.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I *heart* my Smartwool socks and generally find good deals on Campmor.com or AmazingSocks.com.  Once in a while SierraTradingPost.com, but that's more hit-and-miss, as you found.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

If you're willing to take a risk, you can go on eBay.  BUT it may be nice to pick 'em up at your local running store. Running stores can be a good place to connect with the local running community.  

I like the Powersox left- and right-specific socks.  They're $7.50 + 7.5% sales tax here -- that six pairs for $48+.  I got six pairs on eBay for $23.95 shipped.  They look, feel and perform just like the ones I got in the Gold Toe/Powersox store.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Target: C9.  I don't know, something like 6 pairs for $15?  Never had any problem.  And to those who might say; "Seiously?"; it's because my shoes fit.

While I occasionally pick up a nicer pair of Fitsok's or something, most of my running socks are C9 from Target.  I have never had a problem with blisters or wear issues. 

"I aim to misbehave."

Target: C9.  I don't know, something like 6 pairs for $15?  Never had any problem.  And to those who might say; "Seiously?"; it's because my shoes fit.

Same here knobby. I actually go to the kids clothing and buy my C9's. I wear a size 8.5 shoes and the kids large fits my foot like a glove and are a bit cheaper then the adult size. 6 pr. for 5.99 

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus