Sunglass recommendation(s)? (Read 2049 times)

I have seen mention of ultraviolet rays in sunlight causing increased risk of developing cataracts and macular degeneration.  What do people here recommend for decent running sunglasses- either standalone or clip-ons if a person already wears prescription lenses?

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I usually only spend at most $15-20 on a pair as I tend to break them, lose them, whatever.  Usually I find some nice stuff at Target either Champion or I just bought I think it is, Foster Grant, Ironman shades.

Most glasses will have a little sticker on one of the lenses that states the UV protection.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have seen mention of ultraviolet rays in sunlight causing increased risk of developing cataracts and macular degeneration.  What do people here recommend for decent running sunglasses- either standalone or clip-ons if a person already wears prescription lenses?

Yep.  I run with sunglasses unless it's raining.  They provide obvious protection from sun, but also wind-driven things like snow and dust.  My faves are a pair of reasonably priced Optic Nerve Eyeque shades.  They retail for $69 (I think I found a code somewhere that got me 25% off).  They are photochromic with a really good range of light-to-dark, so I can run on overcast days and they are a very light tint, or bright Winter days and they go very dark.  They have effective vents in the lens and wrap my face well, so minimal light sneaks around the sides.

Mine are the gray ones:

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm a bit of a sunglasses whore, but I loves my Oakley Flak Jacket with the XLJ (larger coverage lens).

I recommend looking for polarized lenses, which are great at reducing reflected glare.  Polarized is also great for driving, because you won't see the reflection of the top of your dashboard in the windshield.

But these are pricey.  Rei.com has the Chili's brand sunglasses, which are polarized and range from about $15~$25.  Worth looking in to .

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

What do people here recommend for decent running sunglasses- either standalone or clip-ons if a person already wears prescription lenses?

I recently started wearing contacts again solely so I could wear wrap-around sport sunglasses while running.  No slippage, much better eye coverage.  Now, I do have a polarized full-UV clip for when I do have to wear my glasses, but the sport sunglasses are a much better experience, because you don't have to think about them -- if they're your glasses, it's always a potential headache.

If you can't wear contacts, many of the sunglasses manufacturers (including Oakley) can do some prescription lenses.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

A Saucy Wench

Marshalls/TJMaxxx...that's my source.  Or marathon expos.  But I got some nice champion glasses at Marshalls last week for $7.99.  That is my speed.  I break them/lose them all the time.  Cheap cheap cheap.  And I wear a hat with a brim pulled low for more UV protection.

My husband has prescription glasses for cycling, it's too important to have clear vision while riding to mess with clipons and contacts can be problematic on a bike.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Horsecraziii2011

I just got a pair of Champion sunglasses from target for $18 and they work great.  They have cushion where the glasses sit on the nose which is really nice.  They also are soft around the ears which helps them stay on.  They fit great and stay put.  I ran in them twice and both times I forgot that they were even on.
                  Just make sure you don't buy the ones advertised in the goody bag at your local 5k race.  S-C-A-M.

Best Present Ever

I have some Peformance brand sunglasses that I got on sale (they seem to almost always be on sale.)  They come with 3 different sets of lenses and a nice hard case so  I don't sit on them in the car.  They don't bounce, so I like them fine.  (Actually, someone recently said they made me look cool, now that I think about it.  Maybe they have magic powers I didn't know about).   I think I paid about $30 for them.   

But I just re-read your post -- are you looking for something to wear over your glasses? I wear contacts with mine.  I'd do what jeff recommended and get prescription sport sunglasses if you wear glasses. 

Area Man

As a side note, the photochromic ones are good for fall and winter races that start early in the morning (aka in the dark.)  I can wear them and still see and have one less thing to worry about forgetting or losing before the start of the race.
                      JerryBZA

Runs with the pack

Oakley Half Jacket here.  Usually don't spring for the good stuff but I have a "hook-up".  Really like them.  They are definitely a popular choice as well.

Crash

A good pair of glasses can make all the difference in the world while on a run. It really takes the stress out of your eyes during those high glare days when the sun is just beating down on the road.

I have never believed in the high $ sunglasses that many people seem to wear, HOWEVER, HOWEVER, after using many, many pairs of inexpensive glasses, I never found any that worked well for me until I tried a pair of Under Armor Draft Multiflection glasses. They are designed for running specifically and work phenomenally. Here are the two most important factors for me:

1. Vented at the top of the eyes. If you google the name, you can find a pic and it will show you that they are vented at the top so that air gets in and prevents the tops of the glasses from fogging when your eyes/face/forehead gets hot. This is huge for me. All glasses I had previously worn would always fog up, which was bothersome at best, distracting at worst.

2. Light. These glasses weigh about as much as a $5 bill. I cannot tell you how many other runners have commented on how incredibly light they are. This is also a big, big deal for me.

Now, the only drawback is the cost. I will say that I found mine somewhere online for less than $90, which is still alot of $$$. One thing to note though, I have found that I now take much better care of my glasses than the I ever did the cheap ones, and I'm not nearly as likely to break them. Also, UA provides a two pair replacement policy for the accidents that invariably happened.

I don't spend money needlessly, but I swear by these glasses. I really do.

-Chris

http://www.runningafterdaylight.com

I have a pair of Native Hardtop XP.  They came with three sets of lenses and another set of arms with a strap.  Also a lifetime warranty.

"If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                            wyerock

I second the Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ recommendation. I used to use Eye Jackets, then EJ 3.0, and the Flak Jackets are the next best thing.  I would suggest rinsing your glasses off after a sweaty run though.  Maybe I'm part Alien and I have super acid sweat, but it tends to make the lens coating flake after a few years.  Now that I've started rinsing them off better I don't seem to have the issue.

Before the Oakleys, I wore cheap sunglasses and would get headaches from distortion.

If any of you are military or a government employee, you can get a matte black with grey lens set for about half price at US Standard Issue.

For those of you wearing contacts, you can also look into the Nike MaxSight contact lenses that came out a few years ago.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Depending on conditions, also consider using a hat.  I really only use sunglasses when I'm running directly into a low sun, or when there's lots of glare off of snow or water.  When the sun is coming mostly straight down, a hat can be all you need, and it keeps your face from getting burned, too.
                                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.