Anybody Else Here Doing Chicago? (Read 1125 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For the first time in a marathon, I never had any cramps and it made a huge difference.
    So you didn't drink any water, just sport drink? I had BAD cramps at 20.5 (started feeling twinges at 16) of my first 'thon last weekend...I had no idea that "charley horses" could kick 2 different spots on a single leg simultaneously. I had been on pace for about a 4:35 (assuming no negative splits) at the 20 mile mark, which turned into just under 4:51. I think insufficient electrolytes was my downfall--I sweat out a lot of salty crust that my muscles needed. Nice job, everyone...especially in kind of warm conditions for a Fall marathon! I can't imagine running in such a massive race. My brother and his GF live in the Chicago area and are trying to talk me into running it someday, but I'm not sure I want to deal with those crowds. I kinda like these races of 5k people.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

. I can't imagine running in such a massive race. My brother and his GF live in the Chicago area and are trying to talk me into running it someday, but I'm not sure I want to deal with those crowds. I kinda like these races of 5k people.
      Zoomy, my first marathon was in Anchorage last June, and I think you would LOVE it. It's smallish, about 4,200 people, and its' a beautiful course.
      "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong
        Embarrassingly, this was my third marathon. Those shin splint problems I've been having? Yeah. I walked the entire last half of the race. But you know what? I accomplished something out there
        My fault for thinking it was your first -- I didn't see any other race times on your PR page, so I just assumed. And to be clear, your damned right you accomplished something out there. As I learned in Chicago 2007, when the weather is that warm you can pretty much throw out the clock. If you finish, you win. Kudos to you and all the others who had the guts to toe the line yesterday.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

The Greatest of All Time

Kudos to you and all the others who had the guts to toe the line yesterday.
          I got an email last night with my results and it indicated only 31,401 finished. I know 45,000 were registered but not sure how many actually started, but I think it's safe to assume around 10,000 DNF's or about 22%. That's a lot.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
            I think there were more DNS's than DNF's. I'm pretty sure they reported 33,033 started the race. ETA: http://www.nbc5.com/sports/17697245/detail.html (at the very end).

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

The Greatest of All Time

I think there were more DNS's than DNF's. I'm pretty sure they reported 33,033 started the race. ETA: http://www.nbc5.com/sports/17697245/detail.html (at the very end).
              Wow. 12000 race entries no showed. Thanks for the info. 10000 DNF's did seem extremely high.

mikeymike

Wow. 12000 race entries no showed.
                That's $1.3 million in entry fees that people forfeited. DAMN.

Runners run

DH and I are also among the battered, cramped but unbroken finishers of Chicago 08. My goals were fairly modest (4:45, no walking) but they went out the window by the halfway point. We're from northern CA and were completely humbled by the hot temps and humidity. I know, I know, it wasn't REALLY humid, and it could have been A LOT hotter, but it kicked our respective asses nonetheless. I've never experienced cramping during a marathon before but it just about took me down completely by mile 22. The four miles that followed were probably the most painful that I've ever done, and DH and I finally hobbled across the finish line together at 5:24:59. The second slowest time for either of us (4 previous, not logged here). Despite the less than stellar performance on my part, I have to say that it was a great race. The crowds were just incredible and god bless the people lining the route, spraying water, handing out ice and skittles, and just hollering their hearts out for 33,000 slightly insane strangers staggering by.

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

The Greatest of All Time

I didn't get any candy. What a gip. Big grin

protoplasm72

I didn't get any candy. What a gip. Big grin
                      I could of given you a half eaten power bar.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

heelgrad92

So you didn't drink any water, just sport drink? I had BAD cramps at 20.5 (started feeling twinges at 16) of my first 'thon last weekend...I had no idea that "charley horses" could kick 2 different spots on a single leg simultaneously. I had been on pace for about a 4:35 (assuming no negative splits) at the 20 mile mark, which turned into just under 4:51. I think insufficient electrolytes was my downfall--I sweat out a lot of salty crust that my muscles needed. Nice job, everyone...especially in kind of warm conditions for a Fall marathon! I can't imagine running in such a massive race. My brother and his GF live in the Chicago area and are trying to talk me into running it someday, but I'm not sure I want to deal with those crowds. I kinda like these races of 5k people.
                        That's right, I drank only the Gatorade Endurance formula drink they had and I think it was pretty effective. I have tried doing the gel thing and drinking water but the bottom line for me is the Endurance formula works better at staving off the cramps. I will say that Chicago is a crowded race, but the support there is world class. They had 20 aid stations, that is just phenomenal. Crowd support there was through the roof as well, with bystanders handing out chunks of ice, bananas, water... I have done smaller races like Milwaukee and Atlanta, but this one is a true event.

Craig

Congrats everyone. I left late so I went straight to my second location about a half mile from the finish. I had the HTFU sign up for about the 3 hour - 4:30 hour finishers. I almost pulled out the sign much earlier cause there were 2 people in the top 20 that were walking when they got to me. I'm not sure if I saw any of you guys since a lot of people were commenting on the sign as they went by Big grin
                          Thanks for the sign. I saw it and did not know what to say so I came over by you and yelled "and run". But actually I did not HTFU because of an injured knee. I dropped out at 5k and jumped back in with my friend at 20k then stuck with him as he walked due to stomach issues. By the way, skipping 15k of a marathon is like the best of everything. Ran the start and the second half and also got to see the elites, cheer on friends, there was no wall and the associated soreness.

Craig

I worked at chip help at the expo on Friday and about 700 picked up packets and turned in their timing chips. Probably many more on Saturday and even more who don't even pick up their packet. Congratulations to all the finishers!
                              Wow, it looks like a lot of people had a tough race out there. Count me amongst them. The wheels started coming off at mile 12, and by 18 I was pretty much just walking. I finished in about 4:54, a far cry from the 3:30 I was hoping for or even the 3:45 from my first marathon. The blame goes to the weather, I guess, though I did my 22 mile training run in worse with no problem. Anyway, I was really impressed with the race and the spectators out there, and plan to do it again some day. Congrats to everyone who finished. Extra congrats to those who met their goals and empathy to those who didn't.

-------------------------------------
                              5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                              10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                              1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                              Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Frank4

Tough, tough day out there in Chicago. High temps 80-82 degrees, and humidity in the 50% range. I hope everyone makes it to the finish safe and sound. Results so far: Marcus - 3:04:40 heelgrad92 - 3:18:55 (BQ under tough conditions ... awesome stuff!) Ribbie - 3:53:25 Tcoyle - 4:43:48 (congrats on your first marathon!) Addie - 6:39:39 (congrats on your first marathon!) Frank4 was through the half in 1:34:49, but there aren't any other splits listed. Hope you're ok dude.
                                Although I'd like to be able to say otherwise, the chip didn't lie...I had to drop out at about mile 15 on Sunday. From the start, I just didn't feel good. Had a tightness in my chest that was there from the start. Thought it was a cramp from nerves/anxiety/breakfast...something. But it never went away. Progressively got worse until I had to stop. Pace was right about where I was hoping to be up to that point. Just wasn't my day, I guess. That being said, I agree with the masses here in saying that the crowd support was a big boost. They came out in droves and made themselves heard. Even when I stopped and was contemplating whether or not to try to start up again, they were offering support and encouraging words. Can't say enough about them. Though I didn't finish, I still have hopes of a successful marathon yet in 2008. Not sure when or where yet, but I think I'll just consider Sunday a tempo training run and move on from there. Undecided And congratulations to all who made it through this one...you deserve it. Although not as brutal as last year, it was definitely not October marathon weather in Chicago on Sunday.