Alternatives to Asics Nimbus (Read 4667 times)

an amazing likeness

Anyone care to recommend alternatives for the Asics Nimbus? I'm looking for another brand / model to mix into the rotation. I'm ok with the Nimbus, it has been my primary shoe for the last couple years, but I like variety to surprise my feet and keep them from getting into a rut. Happy and engaged feet...that's my goal. I'm a high-arch, neutral. The Nimbus is on the verge of too heavy and too cushioned for my tastes, but a good workhorse for me.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Coincidence for sure,,, I was driving in today and was going to post the exact question, for basically same reason. So I dont have an answer but want to keep this on top to get some suggestions. I have about 350 on my current pair and want to mix something in to see if there is something out there I like better. I'm happy with now my second pair of Nimbus (9's),, I moved up last year from Cummulus because I could use the cushioning (200lbs). But I would like something a bit lighter. My daughters XC coach always swore by Brooks, not sure which shoe. It's probably about 6 or 7 years since I ran in anything but Asics,, before that it was New Balance, and I like them.
      xor

Brooks Addiction might be one to try. Mizuno has several cushioned/neutral models. The sturdiest one used to be (and probably still is) the Wave Creation. I always loved my mizunos, but they aren't nearly as durable as brooks. For me. Disclaimer: I wear stability shoes, so this info is based on friends and shoe store loitering.

Oh Mighty Wing

I wore Nimbus 9 and 10. I'm currently in Asics Landreth and Brooks Defyance. I like both of them.

an amazing likeness

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll check out the Brooks stuff. I have to add that I do like the Nimbus just fine. I'm on pair # 5 and 6 right now. Just searching for some variety. Sincerely, El Trucko de Milk-o

Anyone care to recommend alternatives for the Asics Nimbus? I'm looking for another brand / model to mix into the rotation. I'm ok with the Nimbus, it has been my primary shoe for the last couple years, but I like variety to surprise my feet and keep them from getting into a rut. Happy and engaged feet...that's my goal. I'm a high-arch, neutral. The Nimbus is on the verge of too heavy and too cushioned for my tastes, but a good workhorse for me.
              Nimbus is a high cushion neutral shoe. Have you tried the Cumulus, Asics version of a standard neutral training shoe? Other neutral options: Nike: Pegasus (standard neutral), Vomero (High cushion) Mizuno: Wave Rider (standard neutral), Wave Creation (High cushion) Brooks: Defyance (standard neutral) NB: 757/758 (standard neutral), 1062/1063 (High cushion) Saucony: Rider (standard neutral), Triumph (High cushion) Adidas: Supernova Glide (was Snova Cushion), Adistar Cushion (High cushion) Good luck
                I have stuck with the 9's because they rescued me from my IT issues during my return to running, but I now want to feel more of the road and get away from excessive cushion. I settled on the lightweight trainer category and, as such, I am currently trying out Asics Speedstar 3 and Brooks Ghost (still in experimental stages). I already love the responsiveness of Brook's Mogo material, though, so I may end up scrapping my affinity with Asics altogether (Solyte-based Asics).

Imminent Catastrophe

Disclaimer: I wear stability shoes, so this info is based on friends and shoe store loitering.
                  Shoe store loitering is a misdemeanor in Texas.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Beginner all over again

I like the Nimbus 11's and I've owned several pairs.

I own the 12's but haven't taken them out of the box yet  

But yeah $125 gets pricey, but I love the ....Cushy.... shoe that it is.

Did you ever try something else yet??

an amazing likeness

Old thread...don't know if you're asking me as the OP, or someone else   I got hurt (unrelated to shoes) and have stayed primarily with the Nimbus while getting back to running steadily. First because I have a bunch of them on hand, secondly because my injuries benefit from the cushioning ride they provide.

I tried Brooks Infinity 2 (yuck!), Brooks Defyance (ok but not good fit for me), Asics Cumulus (too loose in forefoot). I was transitioning to the lighter Asics Speedstar (like 'em) at the time I got injured.

Brooks are good but not really to my liking.

I used to wear the Nimbus but have since gone to the Mizuno's as my go to shoe.

I am a mid to high arch neutral guy and have had great success with Mizunos.  I absolutely love the Wave Rider and just bought a new pair yesterday.  I would also recommend the Wave Precision as an option.  I visited a Mizuno shop and the way they and the website define it is Wave Precision for a lighter faster runner ( I am not and wear it all the time) and the Wave Rider for the average guy, and finally the beast of the Creation for the heavier needing more runner.  The Wave Creation is not the most comfortable walking shoe but running causes it to use its design in full motion so it is a very nice fit.  Again I am a Mizuno guy.

I also wear one of the 700 model New Balance which is okay but a bit too cushy for me, as well as the DS Trainer from Asics.  It is defined as a support shoe but it has a very nice ride and does not seem restrictive to the neutral runner I am.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

xhristopher

I've got a couple pairs of Asics Cumulus and like them more than my other Asics. I tried them agains the Nimbus and think they are a bit cushier and more flexible.

The King of Beasts

I put a bunch of miles on my Nimbus but also really like the DS Trainer, the Speedstars mess with my right IT band for some reason.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

I'm Betty if you're Al

I used to only run in the Asics Gel Nimbus', and when I went to (undisclosed) running store and said I prefered Asicis I was told by the salesman that Asics tend to wear out quicker than other brands.  When he had me try on new sneakers Asics wasn't one of them, it was between a pair of Brooks, Mizuno Wave Inspires and well I forgot the last pair.  Anyways, I chose the Mizuno's and have had nothing but good luck and PR's with them.  Also, Asics tend to be on the heavier side, at least for a training shoe.

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB

Beginner all over again

Well, I went out and bought another pair of Nimbus 12's

I ran in the 12's today for the first time.

I heard they were cushy-er than the Cumulus ?? are they???

I like Cushy shoes  

I might buy another  shoe and maybe try the Mizuno shoe ya'll are talking about too.