looking for a spring marathon ... (Read 1067 times)

Otium cum dignitate

I trained through the summer for a fall marathon (either the Hartford or the Breakers) that, for various reasons, I now can't do. Rather than waste the momentum, I'd like to carry on and find a good spring marathon in the northeast. I don't have a qualifying time for Boston, any other recommendations would be appreciated.
    mikeymike

I've always wanted to run Vermont City Marathon, which is in May.

Runners run

Eat, Play, Run

I was thinking about doing Cleveland, which is also in May. It would be my first marathon. Buffalo is also in the spring.

Otium cum dignitate

Burlington is a beautiful place, but I imagine there'd be some painful climbs. Thanks for the suggestion. Anyone have an opinion of the Hyannis Marathon or the National in DC?
          mikeymike

Vermont City is all along Lake Champlain so it's rolling but not brutal, from what I hear. I know a lot of people who run the half at Hyannis. Not sure I'd put all my training eggs into a seaside marathon in February on Cape Cod though. You might get "great" weather and it will just be 32 degrees with 20 mph winds, or you might get a nor'easter.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

In early May there is the NJ Marathon in Long Branch. There's also the Pocono Mountain Run for the Red Marathon which is a point to point ending in Stroudsburg, PA. The Pocono race is the smaller of the two.

Not at it at all. 

I've always wanted to run Vermont City Marathon, which is in May.
                I'm thinking about this one too, after BayState I will have covered NH, RI and MA. Just have to cover VT (VCM), CT (Hartford) and ME to complete a New England circuit (God willing). My brother-in-law has run VCM several times, he says it's a nice course and the hills aren't TOO bad as long as you resist the siren's song of the Taiko drummers. Apparently they play a bit too fast for his hill climbing pace.

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

xor

The hills in Vermont City (Burlington) are not bad, though it isn't flat. What is NOT so fun is that VCM is crowded. For midpackers, the last miles of the course are pretty packed. It's nice having all the spectators at the end hooting for you, but it can get clogged. At the risk of offending people, I did this race because so many of my NE friends told me that it was THE RACE TO DO!!111!! I did it... and... eh... it was a good race, but *not* ohmygodyouhavetodoit. In my opinion. Buffalo is an interesting choice because that course is quite flat. If you do this race, note the magic secret that no one tells you. When you finish, there will be bananas and water. That's it. What NOBODY tells you is that if you know about the secret stairs up into the cloaked building, there's a hella good party with real food and free beer. But seriously, NOBODY will tell you about it at the end. Cleveland is pretty ok. The course is not as flat as some people say... but I've had horrible luck with the weather there. Hyannis. This not really a spring race. It's still winter. It is a small affair. The RD used to be a frequent poster on coolrunning. Interesting dude. I didn't like this one. I've not run National; I may next year. My friends like it quite a bit. Very different experience from Marine Corps. Not exactly "Northeast", but consider Shamrock at Virginia Beach. Same weekend as National. Flat course. Can have a weather penalty of wind, but it is pretty good. The Ocean Drive Marathon that starts in Cape May NJ is a fun race, but it WILL have a wind weather penalty. I thought it was a really cool place, but then again, I'm from the other side of the nation. If you've seen Wildwood, then seeing that area during the offseason might just be boring to you.

Here's another one I've got my eye on, although I'm hoping Boston will be my Spring marathon next year. The Greater Springfield Harriers put on the 47th Annual Walter Childs Memorial Race of Champions Marathon. It's supposed to be a small, friendly race with a challenging course. It don't think it would be all that far for you Stephen. Providence was a hilly course, with some first year hiccups. They'll probably work to improve on the issues, it might be worth thinking about. You can probably find reviews on marathonguide.com for most if not all the races mentioned here.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Dave

I've not run National; I may next year. My friends like it quite a bit. Very different experience from Marine Corps.
                      I've done the half there. Thin crowds (both runners and spectators) compared to the Marine Corps. Slightly different route this year that takes you more into the DC neighborhoods than just focusing on the memorials. Stays completely within the district. Pretty good hill from mile 4 to 7/8 and then back down around 10. Elevation Profile I'm in for the full this spring and got in for $55 for early registration.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Pittsburgh marathon is coming back after a several year hiatus.
                        RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

No No No . . . . Do the Flying Pig in Cincinnati!!!!! It is an awesome course (a little hilly - only in the beginning) with lots of crowd support. You will love it. Once you do this race then you will be ready to start training for the Flying Monkeys! Here are some reviews. http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=508080504
                            2011 Goals:
                            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Otium cum dignitate

The National and the Shamrock look interesting. So does the Springfield BadDawg suggesed - this would be the closest and I used to teach there, so that adds appeal. Thanks to all that responded - see you at the starting line next spring!
                            ajha

I've done VCM twice and it's a great race! Not too hilly depending on what you are used to. A great race for spectators to see you. I highly recommend it.
                                If you don't mind hills and can travel a little farther south, Charlottesville (VA) is a good one. This year it was the same weekend as Boston.