Wearing right for the weather (Read 1670 times)

mikeymike

I rarely buy cold weather running gear.  If you buy brand name jackets and pants they last forever--I have a Brooks vest that's literally got to be 10 years old.  I wash them infrequently.  Pants maybe once a week or when they stand up on their own from road salt, jackets maybe three times a season.  Under layers get washed every time out unless there's an emergency.

Socks and gloves are the thing I think you can really waste money on.  I find no difference in how warm or cold my hands are whether I'm wearing a pair of $1 cotton gloves or fancy Nike or Brooks high tech gloves.  I had a pair of wind proof Asics mittens that someone gave me once and while they were certainly wind proof the only thing they did was collect sweat once I was warmed up so after a while I'd have ice inside my mittens.  Same for socks.  If my core is warm, my hands and feet will be comfortable so long as they are covered with something.  We had a few low single digit mornings earlier this week and my hands were cold for the first mile or two, but they would have been anyway, and once I warmed up my hands were fine.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Wear something that would feel comfortable just hanging out in (i.e. not running) in weather that's 20° warmer than current conditions.  And for me, the main thing is that ears and hands are warm. 

I'm a big fan of 180s ear warmers.  They're lightweight and wrap around your head.  I tend to overheat wearing a hat or even a headband, so these things are perfect for protecting my ears from the wind/cold.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I got a pair of Mizuno tights at the marathon expo last May and they were around $20.  Now, looking at running at the runningwarehouse site, tights are $60-$100.  Did I just get a spectacular deal?  And, those Champion C9s are out of stock at Target. Sad

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Wear something that would feel comfortable just hanging out in (i.e. not running) in weather that's 20° warmer than current conditions.  And for me, the main thing is that ears and hands are warm. 

Although I see people propose this rule often, we've found running to be much more enjoyable if we dress more warmly. Feeling comfortable and warm 10mi into a run makes it not only more pleasant (than feeling cold the whole darn way), but it also makes us more likely to repeat the experence.

My conclusion is that this rule is not equally applicable to everyone.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Although I see people propose this rule often, we've found running to be much more enjoyable if we dress more warmly. Feeling comfortable and warm 10mi into a run makes it not only more pleasant (than feeling cold the whole darn way), but it also makes us more likely to repeat the experence.

+1!!

I can't imagine hanging out in my balaclava,  2 pair of gloves. 2 Shirts and 2 jackets along with a pair of tights and wind pants, cause that's what I need on these freezing days to keep me warm

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Although I see people propose this rule often, we've found running to be much more enjoyable if we dress more warmly. Feeling comfortable and warm 10mi into a run makes it not only more pleasant (than feeling cold the whole darn way), but it also makes us more likely to repeat the experience.

You're absolutely right.  Everyone has to find their own best fit.  It's just a good starting point if you lack experience.  And I think a lot of runners new to cold weather running tend to dress too warm for the temperature, while not takinig into account how much you'll warm up over the course of a run.

The rule doesn't even completely work for me, but in the opposite direction as you.  I sometimes get too warm following that rule.  Hell, if it's not windy, I'll do a short run in 20-ish degree weather in shorts and short sleeves.  So long as my ears and hands are warm, that is.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I wear this $20 Denali jacket that I got from Marshalls, $15 Ascics running pants, a $10 gaitor, ear muffs, some random running event cap, and $1 cheapo gloves from Walmart.  The jacket I can only wear if it's below 30 degrees as I get too hot in it, and it's really thin (made for wintery conditions).  A couple of weekends ago I ran 10 miles outside without my gaitor and ended up with low grade frost bite on my face.  Overall the key for me to staying warm is to stop the air from getting to my body.  Often I'll wear one of my husband's workout shirts under my jacket, as they're all underarmor and form fitting, and longer than women's running stuff. 

And I think a lot of runners new to cold weather running tend to dress too warm for the temperature, while not takinig into account how much you'll warm up over the course of a run.

it took me a while to learn it, but I have much better running times when I'm a little cold, as opposed to a little hot.  Given the length of my runs, I'm only cold for a few miles, and it's better for me to have 3 cold miles than 15 miles where I'm too hot. 

ive settled into a vest and heavyish long sleeve tech shirt. Im not picky on gloves. I just throw on my regular winter gloves. I usually end up carrying them unless its below maybe 10 degrees. I just got a balaclava. I like it. Usually it ends up as a scarf. And I have a couple of pretty basic rlined running pants. Same pairs ive had for years. The long sleeve tech shirt was fine even below zero.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You're absolutely right.  Everyone has to find their own best fit.  It's just a good starting point if you lack experience.  And I think a lot of runners new to cold weather running tend to dress too warm for the temperature, while not takinig into account how much you'll warm up over the course of a run.

The rule doesn't even completely work for me, but in the opposite direction as you.  I sometimes get too warm following that rule.  Hell, if it's not windy, I'll do a short run in 20-ish degree weather in shorts and short sleeves.  So long as my ears and hands are warm, that is.

Crazy man -- yes, we have some guys like that here too -- for whatever reason, I see more guys (than gals) off that end of the spectrum, who are comfortable in shorts, and sometimes even singlets or bare-chested, in 20s even with wind sometimes. Guys who would overheat if they wore what I need to wear.

I expect you're right about it being a good starting point, kind of a general guess as to the median.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

PS: I use throw away cotton gloves given out at various races (and handed on to me at some point or another) - and I never throw them away. But I think I'd be smart to get something waterproof at some point, b/c one day I'm going to have cold and rain at the same time, and be wishing for something waterproof on my hands.

xor

PS: I use throw away cotton gloves given out at various races (and handed on to me at some point or another) - and I never throw them away. But I think I'd be smart to get something waterproof at some point, b/c one day I'm going to have cold and rain at the same time, and be wishing for something waterproof on my hands.

Oh yeah.  Two dollar gloves from races or 7-11 work great.  I have a drawer full of "disposable" gloves.  They last for quite awhile.

But they REALLY suck when it is wet.  On those days, if I am wearing a jacket or other long sleeve top, I tuck my hands into the sleeves.  It helps that I don't have long monkey arms.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh yeah.  Two dollar gloves from races or 7-11 work great.  I have a drawer full of "disposable" gloves.  They last for quite awhile.

But they REALLY suck when it is wet.  On those days, if I am wearing a jacket or other long sleeve top, I tuck my hands into the sleeves.  It helps that I don't have long monkey arms.

Yeah, I do that too -- that's why I've never gotten around to getting good gloves. That, and/or laziness.

xor

This has nothing to do with warmth, but is an example of spending extra money on a wtf.

While I was at Disney, I bought a pair of those fancy CWX tight shorts (if you've only seen their tights, they also have an above-the-knee version).  They are really spendy.  They are also well constructed.  They could be the best thing in the world.

Except for a really dumbass design decision which I didn't realize until I wore them for about an hour.

They have a longitudinal (vertical) seam that transects your crotch, follows it around and goes up your ass crack.  As I mentioned, they are "well constructed", which means that this seam is heavy duty.  And remember, these are tight by design.

Yes, that's something I want rubbing my boy parts for 1-6 hours.

Ouch.

Glad I spent a ton of money on them.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

duct tape inside it?