Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

Hi Jan,

Weather pretty mild in the North EAst for the moment, wish you some of the same

7 miles this morning with 3.5m at tempo (8:22 pace and 154/55 AHR) Actually ran slower than my previous tempo, reason for this being that generally, the difference between actual pace and GArmin displayed pace when I run around the local track is 10 seconds, so if I want to run 8:15, I run 8:05 pace according to watch. But for some reason, today, the difference was 20 seconds, so I thought I was doing 8:12 pace and not 8:22. Anyway, not the end of the world, only ten seconds, heart rate was where it should be, and no tightness afterwards

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

Next races: NYC Marathon, Nov 2014 

miele

Godzilla

jan-  When do you think you're going to run the virtual half?  I know it's coming up but you're flexible as to the date.  Can you run it on the TM?  If not, I hope you get a major break in the weather.

2ft-  I guess I never pay that much attention to the discrepancies between the actual pace and displayed pace.  You still had a good tempo run.  I ran my first tempo-ish run yesterday except it didn't last 20 minutes and it was a bit slower than usual but it was my first speed work and I wanted to keep it short.

me-  Ran 6 yesterday with 2 at about 8:13.  It was tough but felt good.  I didn't wear the HRM so I have no idea what my HR was.   It's about time to start the cooking frenzy for Christmas and we haven't even put up the decorations yet.  Oh well.

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

npaden

Merry Christmas to everyone! I'm slacking on my running over the holiday, but should still get my 100 miles in for December to make 10 months in a row over 100 for me. Going skiing in Colorado so my legs will still get a workout, it just won't be running. Hope everyone gets everything they wanted and stay safe!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Jan26.2

Merry Almost Christmas everyone!

2ft - I don't pay attention either to my Garmin discrepancies. Although it's been a long time since I've run on a track with a watch. Nice pace for your 7 miler!

miele - Let the frenzy begin! I'm not hosting this year, so all I'm "cooking" is a salad and bringing two bottles of wine (one for me and one for everyone else). Big grin We have to run the half before midnight on Jan. 1st, and our weather is supposed to turn much warmer in the next week. We'll probably do it next Saturday. We did one last weekend, but weren't worried about finish time. If we have to use it we can, but I think our time was a 2:05. You had a speedy 2 miles! I'd say you've got the pop back in your legs. What's the date of your marathon again - you know, your very last one ever?

Nathan - Good to hear from you! Have a great time skiing - where in Colorado are you going? I live 100 miles from Denver.

me - Today was my last day of work for 2 weeks. The vacations are the only reason I teach! Our weather is supposed to improve, so I'm hoping to get in some outside miles. My boys will both be home tomorrow - I can't wait!

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

Luke79

Count me in this group.  That's one of my major goals.  I missed our local HM this past Nov because of injury, but I would have run a sub 2:00 I believe.

miele

Godzilla

Nathan-  Have a great time skiing!  Sounds like a lot of fun.  Sometimes it's good to take a break from running, IMO, and the holidays/vacation is a good time for it.  Don't break anything.

Jan-  Now that's my kind of Christmas prep!  Wish I could do the same thing but I don't think that would go over well at all.  Glad your weather is going to cooperate for your HM.  Are you going for a PR?  My very last marathon will be on the 13th of Jan.   I don't have any idea how I'll do.  Today the 14 miler was tough and I was thinking that that used to be my medium long run.   I keep telling myself I'm still recovering and not to let it mess with my head.  I just need to go back to Jim2's page and re-read it every day.  Enjoy the vacation freedom while it lasts!  You know, if your job weren't so miserable you probably wouldn't appreciate your vacation time nearly as much.  Just a thought.  I still wish you had work you loved.  "Choose a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life".  I always liked that and I actually know someone who has succeeded.  One person.  That's it.  How long can your sons stay with you?

Luke-  Glad you joined us!  If you feel like sharing some details that would be great.  Like:  What was your injury?  Are you using a training plan?  Which one?  What's your mileage look like?  Is your next HM the trail race written in your sig?

me-  Ran 14 today.  The weather was beautiful!  Can't say it was easy but I did it.  Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukahn (although that's finished now)  to everyone!!!  Hope you're surrounded by loved-ones!

Jan26.2

Luke - Hi! Like miele said, we'd love to know more about your training and injury. Hopefully it's resolved by now.

miele - Wow, Jan. 13th. That really close. Do you think the humidity had anything to do with your 14 miler feeling harder than what it used to? I definitely agree that you're still recovering - it hasn't even been a month since your last one, and running in the conditions you had for CIM probably took more out of you than what a decent weather marathon would. I've noticed the same thing about my LRs - 10 miles used to be the length of my mid-week runs, Lately some of the 10-13 milers I've done have sucked the life out of me.

me - I managed to stay on the TM for 11 miles yesterday. I've noticed when I do my LR on the mill that I run most of it faster than what I should for long run pace. Good or bad, who knows? Guess we'll see on Jan. 20th, although I've thrown any thoughts of a PR out. This training cycle has just been too weird and disjointed because of the crappy weather.

Merry Christmas to everyone, and I hope the coming year is filled with many happy, healthy miles!

Luke79

My injury was PF.  It flared up pretty bad after a 15k I ran in October, and I was on very low mileage after that.  Right now, I'm still only at around15-20 mpw, because the PF won't completely go away.  I'm just glad to be able to run some.  I've also had runner's knee for about a year.  I wear a knee brace and there is no pain.  I constantly have to pop it though, and it's annoying.  All my running issues have been in my right leg...my left leg is apparently bionic.  No issues there, ever.

My first planned HM is the one in my sig.  I don't intend to follow any sort of "training plan".  That's a foreign concept to me and I believe it would turn me off to do such a thing.  I think it's great for other people though.

As info, I started running consistently in spring 2011.  I had my "I'm fat" realization and tried P90x at first.  It wasn't really my thing  but I stuck with it for about a month and a half.  Then I tried running and the rest is history.

Hi Luke79,

Welcome! Eugh, the dreaded PF. Suffered from that for a long time, despaired of ever running more than 2 or 3 miles ever again, but I seem to have it under control (knock on wood) PF is a funny thing, it can come and go without much logic, once you had it, it's a little like having been an alcoholic...."one day at a time". Feel free to send a PM to me to let me know what solutions you have tried, I've tried every remedy under the sun....

For me, 8m general aerobic with strides on Saturday, and 12m medium LR on Sunday today.

Got an e-mail confirming entry into NYC Half on March 17th. Would like to make this a bit of an objective, and would seek some advice:

- my Training  plan up to now was to start a Pfitz 18/55 on december 31st, takimg me through to the NJ Narathon on May 5th.

- NYC Half falls on week 11 of the program

- in order to race this HM in good conditions and not jeopardize ny full marathon, I am thinking of doing the following:

1. make the 18/55 a 20/55, which means I started already on December 17th, and the HM moves from week 11 of 18 to week 13 of 20

2. stick to the 18/55 plan (now 20/55) with the exception of week 13 and week 14 which I will use for HM taper and HM recovery

Does that sound reasonable? Can I run the HM all out without jeopardizing the Marathon by doing things this way?

Personal bests (bold = this year): 5K - 23:27 / 5M - 38:42 / 10K - 49:31 (track) / 10M - 1:24:26 / HM - 1:51:17 / M - 3:58:58

doctorjen

2foot - I think that plan will work well.  FWIW, I did a half marathon week 14 of 18 before my last marathon and did race it all out.  I did just a mini taper, cutting out the speed work the week of the half, and the first hard workout scheduled after - but I did run 20 miles the weekend after the half as planned (3 weeks out from the marathon.)  I PR'd in the half by 6 min, and the full marathon by 32 min.

Jan - I thought of you today as I was running icy roads with a group of girlfriends.  It wasn't too cold out (I think 23F, but sunny and only a little breeze) but there was ice and snow off and on.  We slid around and giggled a lot.  Also thought of you as I filled my grocery cart today.  A salad and 2 bottles of wine is sounding very appealing ...

miele - What Jan said about it being < 1 month since your marathon.  I think you'll be fine in 3 weeks.   I think you need to recover adequately most importantly, and keep your training at marathon level secondly.

Luke - Glad you stepped in.  Injuries suck.  Hopefully you're done with them now.

me - had a nice run outside this am.  Ran the first 5 with a group of friends (we were 3 Jens and a Julie today.  I swear every third woman my age around here is named Jen.)  They were headed back at that point, and I wanted to go long, so I turned off on my usual path.  I totally effed up the math in figuring out how far to run out and back, though - I forgot that I'd still be 1.5 miles from home when I got back to the turn around, so I ended up running 13.77 instead of the 12 I planned.  The roads and sidewalks were icy, and on the multi-use path it was icy under every overpass, but overall it was kind of fun to brave the elements.

The streak stands at 31 days and 209.7 miles.  Week 1 of Pfitz 18/55 is done, too.  The rest of my birdies will be back in the nest tonight when my son and daughter-in-law arrive (and the granddogs.)  They're staying until Wednesday.  I'll have to brave it and run outside, or treadmill it later in the day while their here so I don't disturb my teen son who'll be sleeping in the basement.  I'm off work until 1/2, though, so I should be able to fit the runs in!

Jan26.2

docjen - Three Jens on one run - I think anyone not named Jen should have had to run extra miles! Your streak is really getting up there - nice job! Are you going to keep going after New Years? It's awesome all your children make it home for Christmas. The best part of my Christmas is having both of my boys home.

Luke - PF can be a devil to get rid of. I've never had it as bad as what you do though. I have the same issue with injuries on only one side of my body (mine's the left). Sure makes you wonder what we're doing to make that happen. The name of your half looks ominous - I hope it's not that bad in reality!

2ft - I also set my half PR right before my marathon (3 weeks out). I think your plan looks good, and you shouldn't have issues running the half all out. During the race, if you start to feel anything worrisome you can always reign it in and finish as a training run. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what marathon training will do for your time.

miele - I hope Santa brought you rested legs and low humidity for Jan. 13th! How's the training coming along?

me - For Christmas we got another 4 inches of snow and arctic temps - lucky us! Yesterday's high was 12, and today we're supposed to climb all the way to 15. If the United States was a human body, the place I live would definitely be located in the rear posterior portion! Having my sons home has been amazing - I've loved every minute!

miele

Godzilla

Luke-  I can only guess that any race called 'Hell's Hills' can't be an 'easy' course.  So you picked a doozy of a first HM.  Hopefully the PF will be completely under control soon.  What a pain.  Everyone is different so if the 'no plan' plan works for you then I say go with it.  Personally, I like a plan for the structure (left to my own devices no telling what I'd come up with) plus I get great satisfaction out of crossing off a workout.  Simple pleasures....

2ft-  I like #1.  I added a couple of weeks just so I wouldn't feel guilty about missing the speedwork and mileage leading up to the tune-up races.  Looking back, I think I should've cut more miles off the week leading up to the HM but that's hindsight.  I also used those weeks as 'recovery' weeks instead of the ones designated in the Pfitz plan.

doc-  Now that you mention it, I have two neighbors in your AG who are Jens.  Ok, they're Jennifers but everyone calls them Jen.  Have you been able to keep up the streak with your kids there?  What's the minimum you have to run every day?  You might have mentioned it but I don't remember.  Nice running, as always!

Jan-  Training is going well and the legs are feeling good, thanks for asking!  Are you going to run your virtual half?  I get the feeling you're not very attached to your home town.  I don't know why.  Although I do believe you showed great restraint in describing it as being in the rear posterior portion.  You must've written that pre-wine.   Are your sons still with you?

me-  Ran 6 w/5x600 today.  First intervals and they were so hard!  I think I was supposed to have run them at 6:50 pace (according to McMillan) but only managed a 7:30.  Although, now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever run a sub-7 pace except for when I do strides.  Still was fun running a bit faster than usual.  And I went to the gym today for the first time in 5 weeks. It was good but I have to build up my pull-ups again.

Zelanie

Hello everyone!  I'm training for my first HM in April, and while it's still far too early to say for sure, I'm hoping it will be sub-2:00.  I just started running this past year, but am enjoying it so far!  I am going to be following Pfitz's "B" HM plan from his book Road Racing for Serious Runners, starting this Monday.  I do have a 10-mile race in March, so I will use that to set my "real" goal time, up or down.

Zelanie: welcome to the thread, and good luck with the HM goal. Based on your 10K time, he McMillan running calculator gives you 2:10 for the half. But given that you are relatively new to running and will naturally progress in strength and endurance, allied to the Pfitz plan, you shoud be able to at least come close to the 2:00 mark. My fist half was 2:03 or so, but improved that time by 9/10 minutes for my second, so you shouldn't beat yourself up if you don't make sub-2 first time

Miele: When I saw 6:50 pace, I said to myself straightaway, "wow, that's fast". Maybe because it's just for 600m, but even so.... I did 5 x 800m this week, at 7.45 (5K pace).

DrJen: How ws week 2 of Pfitz. It doesn't really get serious for quite a few weeks. I'm curious to see how I will handle the 50-mile weeks. You are already running 50 mile weeks, I see. How are you going to reconcile the training program with the daily run streak you are on? Are you doing 18/55 or 18/70?

Me: besides the 5 x 800m, did a 13m run this morning with 10 at GMP (9:06). It was supposed to be 13 with 8 at GMP, but it was pretty cold, so the body went into auto to generate some heat (ok, Jan, I know it's not 12 degrees!). Right achilles was giving some grief at the end: taping and stretching will be necessary this week! Also made it to the gym for a good workout, overall mileage for the week wil be 36 afte 4-mile recovery run tomorrow. Monday will be a total rest day, and a Hangover 5K on Tuesday

Jan26.2

2ft - Nice running today! Hopefully the achilles isn't going to bother you too much - taping and stretching should help, maybe a little icing too. The Hangover 5k sounds like fun, and to do it justice, I think you should be a little hungover yourself. Joking Let us know how it goes.

Zelanie - Hi! Glad you're here. Your 10 mile race should give you a good idea of what you can do in the half. Like Two-Foot said, don't be too bummed if you don't go sub-2 your first time. I missed it by one minute in my first half, and it kind of spoiled the feeling of accomplishment for me. Just completing the distance the first time should make you awesomely proud of yourself! Keep us posted on how your training is coming along.

miele - 6:50 pace? Shocked Now those are some fast intervals! You're right about it feeling good to run faster, though. You're right about me not being attached to my hometown. When I finally move away, I doubt I'll come back very often. My oldest son left on the 26th and my youngest left yesterday. It's so lonely around here without them!

docjen - How the streak? Hopefully you were able to keep getting the miles in with all the kiddos home for the holidays.

me - Thursday I did 12.5 on the TM, and that was plenty. Yesterday was 5 and today was 7. I seriously doubt I'll remember how to run without a moving belt underneath my feet. Our temps are more bearable, but all the running surfaces are still covered in ice. I learned my lesson a couple years ago about trying to run on ice, so I'll stick to the mill until it thaws.