Sub 2:00 Half Marathon thread (Read 2396 times)

miele

Godzilla

Hi everyone!  Just checking in to see what's going on.  Lots of new posts and posters which is great.  Good luck to everyone with their training!

Zelanie- How were the intervals?

jan-  Wow.  You're awfully busy with your crystal ball.....I hope you're right.  That would be nice.

Nathan-  You feeling a 100% yet?

me-  Just chilaxin'.  I've put on a couple of pounds from all this inactivity.  Haven't managed to rein in my eating to match the lack of cardio.  Oh well.  Tomorrow starts the carb-fest-a-palooza.  Hi to everyone I missed.  I'll try and do better about checking in more often but right now I gotta go....

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48

pcaharrier

I don't think I've posted in this thread yet, but as you can see from my signature, breaking 2:00 in the half is one of my goals for this year.  I have a race coming up at the end of February and, so far, I feel like I'm on track to hit my goal.  I ran a 2:19 this past September in hot, muggy conditions and ran a practice race about two months later in 2:04:40.

Over the past month or so, I cobbled together a Hansons-esque training plan on my own with LT/interval workouts on Tuesdays (so far, 1 mile intervals @8:00-8:16/mile), tempo runs on Thursdays (@8:30/mile) and long runs of 10-12 miles on Saturdays (9:30/mile); Wednesdays and Fridays are easy runs of 5-7 miles.  Those paces actually would put me at the finish line in just over 1:51, but about a month into the training it feels like I've set a reachable goal.  The weekly mileage doesn't feel like it's draining me (33 last week and 36 for the rest of the way except for the taper).  It's been a little difficult to lock in at that 8:30/mile pace (I've usually been overshooting and going a tad too fast), but I think I'm getting there.

Zelanie

miele- Good luck on finishing out taper madness!

pcaharrier- Welcome!  Sounds like you're in good shape to make this next race the one!

me- Rocked my interval workout tonight!  I had to run on the treadmill tonight because it was dark by the time I got home and trying to do speedwork in the dark seems like maybe not such a good idea.  The plan was for a 2 mile warm up, 5x2:30 at 8:14 with 2:00 recoveries @10:20, then a cool down to get to 5 miles total.  Felt so good after the 1st 4 that I ran the 5th at 7:54 and it still felt great.  So either the treadmill is calibrated incorrectly or I was running these too slow.  As a newb, I didn't want to start to aggressively and have to slow down for the later intervals.  It was hard, don't get me wrong, but just short enough that the fun didn't really wear off.

The next time this workout comes up, it's on a "moderately steep hill".  So I might just try for the same pace, but add the hill, and see what happens.

Miehle - marathon this weekend?  Good luck!!

PC- you seem to be on track with your workouts for sub 2:00.  2/24 will be here soon!

Zel- successful intervals!  I loathe intervals on the treamill, but it's my only option this time of year!  Which half are you doing in April?

Had an easy 6 this morning, but it didn't feel easy at all even though my pace was a minute slower than my normal easy pace.  This entire week, I've felt very sluggish and my legs have felt like heavy concrete.  I'm not sure what is wrong with me.  I was sick a month ago and still have a lingering cough.  I feel fine, unless I'm exercising.  I barely ran last week because I tweaked my knee in soccer so it's not like I've been working super hard lately.  I'm confused!  I've also been running for a few years and have never felt like this for an entire week.

Zelanie

JDoody- I'm doing the Corvallis Half Marathon in Oregon.  Sorry to hear about your sluggish legs.  That was me all last week.  It's amazing how a few days of funk really makes you question yourself!  Hopefully your next week is better.

Jan26.2

miele - Good luck on Sunday!!! I'll be thinking of you - wish I could track you. Hope all the parts are ready to run and the weather gods smile on you. Can't wait for the RR.

JDoody - Sorry about the heavy legs and your not feeling great during your runs. Even though it's been a month since you were sick, maybe the virus is lingering. Have you been running more/faster than usual lately? Sometimes overtraining makes you feel like that.

Zelanie - Woo-hoo on the intervals! Way to nail it. Using incline is a great way to up the intensity of a run, that's for sure.

pcharrier - Welcome! Your plan looks good, and I think it should bring you sub 2. Which half are you doing?

junior - Glad you're here! You're very close to sub 2, and you've got a few months to work on endurance and a little speed. I hope your PF/heel issues are behind you for good.

FlatFT - Welcome to you too! My half PR came during marathon training, like I think a lot of runner's do. Following a marathon plan for a half should definitely get you the mileage you'll need.

me - One week from Sunday until my half in Phoenix. Right the forecast is sunny and 71, no wind. I hope it stays that way. I know 70 is a bit warm for a race, but after our temps lately I won't complain a bit. Not to mention this one is for fun anyway. I got outside twice in the last 3 weeks, so I hope TM training will carry over. Tomorrow is an 8 miler, which I was planning on doing outside. Well, mother nature is a b*tch! Today we got 6 inches of snow, which started as a foggy sleet, so the streets and sidewalks are so, so slick. Right now our temp with wind chill is -15, and it's going to be even worse tomorrow. Hello, TM! When I registered for a race in AZ I kind of forgot I had to train in Wyoming. Roll eyes

PR's: 5k - 23:33/ 10k - 48:30/ 5 mi. - 39:21/ 13.1 - 1:53/ 26.2 recent - 4:34

Upcoming races: Resolution Run HM 1/1/13

Phoenix R&R    HM 1/20/13

npaden

Good luck Miele!  You are going to smoke this one!

Jan - I'm going to be in Tucson on Thursday and then back again the next Monday, but I'll be spending the weekend at home instead of running the half marathon in Phoenix.  It sounded fun, but this time of year being home on the weekend is more important to me than running a race.

me - I've got a running club 2 mile race tomorrow.  This will be my shortest race since Jr. High I think. They have only been running the 2 mile version of this race for 5 or 6 years so the course record is pretty soft for the fat boy division so I'm going for it.  My "A" goal is 14:00 which would smash the record, but my "B" goal is 14:30 which would still break the record.  Even my "C" goal of 15:00 would set the record so that kind of tells you how soft the record is.  I'm still excited about trying to set a course record though!

I've been hitting all my paces on my marathon plan although my HR has been running higher than I think it should be at those paces, which I think tells me I'm still not 100% over being sick which means I won't be terribly upset if I don't hit my A goal tomorrow.

Good luck to anyone else racing this weekend!

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

doctorjen

miele - good luck this weekend!  Can't wait to hear about it.

Jan - ugh, I cannot imagine training in Wyoming in the winter.   I complain about KC, and our weather is downright balmy compared to yours.  I'm going to visit my mom in the Phoenix area in March.  I'm hoping the early morning weather won't be too warm as that will be week 14/18 on Pfitz.

zelanie - great interval workout!

nathan - Good luck tomorrow.  I haven't raced that short since freshman year of high school, but I think it would be a lot of fun!

me - Well, here lies my streak.  Today is the first day I haven't run since Thanksgiving.  Total was 49 days, and 348.2 miles.  I'm doing our inpatient medicine teaching service this week and it's kicking my butt.  I've managed to run the first 4 days, but I'm tired and decided it was time to let the streak go.  I did run 8.7 last night, with 10 x 100, and did a 10 mile general aerobic run on Tuesday, too.  Pfitz only calls for 5 days of running this week anyway so I'll still be over the weekly milage.  The streak was fun, and maybe I'll start another one at some point.

Luke79

Okay, I'm registered.  Barring any major injury (oh please don't get injured), I will be running my first HM on Feb. 17th.  I'm excited for sure.  It's in my sig now, so I'm publicly committed lol.

Luke79

Okay, so McMillan says my HM should be 1:54:27, based on my 15k time.  That's an 8:44 pace.  I ran an 8:34 pace in the 15k.  I can do this!

Zelanie

Jen- Congrats on your streak!  I'm assuming you're using a Pfitz marathon plan?

Luke- Hooray for getting registered!  With that recent 15K you should be in good shape for your HM.

me- My LR went so much better this time!  I tried to win the mental battle by setting a range of miles I wanted to run, and running an out-and-back instead of loops.  But there wasn't really a mental battle at all today.  It was a great run, even though I had to finish up in the dark because my knuckle light doesn't seem to be working.  I'm hoping I'll be able to exchange it.

I ended up with 10.29 @9:48, mostly stayed around 10:00 until the 7th mile, then stepped it up.  Next week if I'm still feeling good I will go to 11 mi.  But anything in the 9-11 range will work, I think.

npaden

Hopefully miele has a great race report for us on her marathon!

Luke - sounds like you have a sub 2 in the bag.  I ran a 15K two weeks before my half and bombed it and I still made my sub 2 hour on the half.  The taper really makes a difference and the crowds helped me as well.

Me - Didn't do as well as I was hoping on my 2 miler.  Official time was 14:55 for a 7:28 pace, but I know I could have and should have done better.  It's hard to push as hard as you can the whole time on a short race like that.  I think I must still not be back to 100% after being sick over Christmas and that had something to do with it.  I knew I was in trouble when my intervals I ran earlier in the week were about 30 seconds per slower pace wise than the ones I ran back in December.  The worst part was that they had to slightly change the course so even though I would have set the course record for the fat boy division it didn't count!  Oh well, maybe I'll run it next year and break 14:00!  Had a good long run today.  10 miles at 9:30 pace and my HR was right in line with where it should be.  It makes me think that I'm close enough to being back healthy again except for when I'm running all out like on the 2 mile race.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

pcaharrier

Jan - I'm running the Colonial Half Marathon in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Jen - Condolences on the end of your streak.  Forty-nine days sounds pretty impressive to me; I don't think I even ran that many days in a row way back in high school when I was doing track and cross country.

Luke - Good luck with your race.  It seems like signing up for that next race usually comes with some fresh motivation.

Zelanie - Sounds like your long run went really well.  The 9-11 range sounds about right and if you can get 7 miles in and be able to pick up the pace, that seems like a really good sign.

npaden - Congrats on the race, even if you didn't quite hit the goal you were looking for.  You and I seem to be at about the same training paces and I'm wondering whether you ever throw any goal-pace miles into your long runs?

Me - I did 12 miles on Saturday and threw in three miles (miles 6, 9, and 12) where I went for goal half marathon pace.  I didn't quite hit the mark on any of them, however (8:44, 8:17, and 7:59).  I'm still having a little trouble locking in at that 8:30/mile pace, but with a month and a half to go I'm really committed to making that pace happen.  Any suggestions or workouts that have helped you dial in at a specific pace?

Edit: Oh, and this also marks my sixth straight week hitting 25 miles or more.  So I'm pretty happy about that too.

Happy Monday!  Glad to say that I got out both days this weekend and I've feeling much better.  Still going to take it easier this week and start to push when my body wants to.

Luke- sounds like you def have sub 2!  Good luck!

Zelanie- glad you had a good long run this week!  Good job!

NP- that's a great time even though you didn't hit the goal - next time!

miele

Godzilla

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for the well-wishes!  I'm at a cafe now so I'll have to catch up with you guys a bit later....maybe Wed.   And I've got lots of catching up to do.   Just wanted to let you know how my marathon went.

Woke up at 5 and the weather was:  71 degrees with 90% humidity.  Fantastic.  I don't do well with humidity at all so I knew this wasn't going to be a good day.  I'd been dreading it, truth be told.

Line up and start at 7:30.  First 4 miles were fine but I could tell my HR was way too high.  Then it dawned on me:  I don't have to run the marathon.  I can turn at the split and run the HM! Hallelujah!  That made me feel better and, in hindsight, was the best decision I've ever made.  Kept chugging along and my pace kept slowing.  I felt pretty bad.  Took the HM split at mile 8.  The very nice cop who was in charge of the split was practically chasing me down yelling, 'Ma'am!  Ma'am!  Marathoners that way!'.  I smiled and put my hands up and yelled back, 'I quit!  I surrender!  I give up!'.  Really, the only way I would have gone straight at that point was if he had pulled a gun on me and forced me to go straight.  Even then I would have considered taking the bullet.  Legs felt like lead at mile 10 and I was patting myself on the back for making the right decision.

Finished the HM in 2:02:15.  When I crossed the finish line the announcer felt compelled to say that he didn't think that was a marathon time.  Yeah, I know, asshat.  I was not in a good mood at that point.

So, my last marathon didn't happen and we went out to a nice restaurant and celebrated!  I don't know what it is about humidity but it feels like it gets into my muscles and sucks the life out of them.  Anyway, I spared myself the torture of running the full so maybe I'll be in shape to run a decent 10k in a couple of weeks.

Ok, sorry I can't stay and chat but I'll be back in a couple of days.  Take care!

10K: 47:12* / 13.1: 1:50:56 / 26.2: 3:53:48