Race for Multiple Myeloma 5K (with a cameo from an Olympic runner) (Read 815 times)

Had a 5K fun race yesterday to tide me over until my 10K race on 10/11. It was a lake loop route with a good turnout. There were just over 200 runners and a bunch of walkers. All proceeds go the MM Research Foundation. We had a "celebrity" participant in 2004 1500m Olympian Carrie Tollefson running the event. She did not log an official time, but ran the race and spent the duration of the event. I just didn't "have it" today. Angry I have run my 3.4 mi training loop at a faster pace on tempo and pace runs this year. That loop is much hillier than the race course was, too. I think it is a matter of me working on upping weekly mileage and long runs at the expense of speedwork, lately. 5K is all I used to run, and I am stretching it out. Anyway, I finished about a minute off of goal pace because I just didn't feel up to bumping the pace after the first mile. I ran a pretty good last half, so I had plenty in the tank, but just did not fee like it. Having Carrie at the race was cool. She's a pretty big running name from the Twin Cities area, and was on the Runner's World cover this month. (She's a rather fine looking woman, too.) Blush At that small an event she took lots of time to talk to anyone and everyone. She was the official starter, and then waited until everyone else went through the start before she took off. Then she passed almost the entire field and chatted as she went by. It's kind of awe inspiring to watch someone give the field a few minutes head start, and then catch virtually all of them while talking with everyone she passed. After that she cheered every runner on through the finish. Her grandfather had MM, so it is a personal cause for her. Although it was not a good race for me personally, it was a good event for a good cause. It may become a yearly event for me. Smile

"I aim to misbehave."

Run the race God set B4U

Sounds like alot of fun and that you had a great time, Thanks for sharing Smile
      5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)

Slow-smooth-fast

You look so fit, great runners body. Looking at your pic I was ready for a 15 miute 5k!............................................................Sorry just realised that wasnt you

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

You look so fit, great runners body. Looking at your pic I was ready for a 15 miute 5k!............................................................Sorry just realised that wasnt you
          Yep, she could probably have run it backwards and beat me by 5 minutes. Oh well. My wife, who was also at the race commented that she would love to have Carrie's body. Not sure either of us will be approaching her training regimen anytime soon, though. It was an experience to have a truly world class runner go breezing past during a race though. Typically the world class types start out ahead of me and I never actually see them running...

"I aim to misbehave."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mike, I am so glad you participated in this event, even if it wasn't quite the race you hoped it would be. My folks lost a dear friend a few years back from the after effects of MM. He struggled for years with the disease, nearly died, went into remission, then died from heart attack as the result of the toll the MM treatments took on his body. He was fortunate enough to see at least 2 of his boys marry and have children, though, which he never thought he would see after his initial diagnosis and prognosis. I assume that the race was somehow connected to Mayo? I know he had the bulk of his treatments there. I'm glad that there is research going into such a horrible disease. I wouldn't wish that kind of anguish on anyone.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I assume that the race was somehow connected to Mayo? I know he had the bulk of his treatments there. I'm glad that there is research going into such a horrible disease. I wouldn't wish that kind of anguish on anyone.
              They do a series of races around the country... http://www.mmrfrace.org/find_an_event.html Celgene is the big national sponsor, but Mayo HS sponsors the local race, along with many others. Hopefully it will continue to grow.

"I aim to misbehave."

xor

My folks lost a dear friend a few years back from the after effects of MM. He struggled for years with the disease, nearly died, went into remission, then died from heart attack as the result of the toll the MM treatments took on his body.
                A very similar thing happened to a friend of mine two weekends ago (his picture is on the maniac home page currently), although it was CLL instead of MM. This struck extra close for me because I live with a similar condition, in my case AML. Chemo, radiation, and other beasties are rough stuff. Sigh. What a great cause. I hope they offer a similar race out here. As for your day, some days are just like that. CT seems to make the RW cover *a lot*. This is ok. I know I'd rather see her 20 times for each time DK makes an appearance Big grin. Two more made up acronyms: LMNOP and EIEIO.

De-slacking in progress

They do a series of races around the country... http://www.mmrfrace.org/find_an_event.html Celgene is the big national sponsor, but Mayo HS sponsors the local race, along with many others. Hopefully it will continue to grow.
                  That what I lost my FIL to. Have to look into this

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14