Sub-90 Minutes for the Half Marathon (2011) (Read 6744 times)

Prince of Fatness

Bump.  You ready, Nads?

Not at it at all. 

As enticing as racing in accessorized shoes may be for some, I'll likely wait 'til the Spring.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Dspeer is up tomorrow.  Relax, focus and bring it home. 

Joining in for the 90 minutes. Holiday Half 2nd weekend in December. Its a small race(less than 300 last year) but nice course along the Gulf Coast. My focus is on Atlantic City in October. If I do there what I want to do, I should be in line to hit the 90. Or maybe more.

Nice, man. Maybe I'll catch you down there. 

Nader-

It’s probably way too early to think about since I have only one month of slow running after almost a year off but I’m setting this as my most important goal for 2011.

Can you put me down for Clarksburg HM on Nov 13? I will need a lot of time.

I see you’ve improved a bunch since we were last in contact!

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Just building on what I've learned from you, Jim.  So happy to see you at it again!

jpdeaux

New Bedford Half Marathon, 03/20/2011, New Bedford, MA

Nader-

It’s probably way too early to think about since I have only one month of slow running after almost a year off but I’m setting this as my most important goal for 2011.

Can you put me down for Clarksburg HM on Nov 13? I will need a lot of time.

I see you’ve improved a bunch since we were last in contact!

Hi Jim - how's it going?  welcome back to the running scene!  I also took most of 2010 off from competitive running and just ran for fun on the trails up on skyline - good for my mind and basic leg strength, but not good for speed and racing.  so now i'm trying to get back into PR shape, and shed the 15 pounds i seem to have collected.  just did kaiser half last week which was a crash and burn after 8-9 miles following a stupidly optimistic fast start.  guess i haven't learned much!

i'm thinking a fall marathon is the goal, maybe CIM, so the clarksburg half could be a good final tuneup race.

anyway, good to see you again and hope to see you on the trails/races sometime

- alan

- the grisly details http://alansmiles.blogspot.com

Any news from dspeer?  

Hi Jim - how's it going?  welcome back to the running scene!  I also took most of 2010 off from competitive running and just ran for fun on the trails up on skyline - good for my mind and basic leg strength, but not good for speed and racing.  so now i'm trying to get back into PR shape, and shed the 15 pounds i seem to have collected.  just did kaiser half last week which was a crash and burn after 8-9 miles following a stupidly optimistic fast start.  guess i haven't learned much!

i'm thinking a fall marathon is the goal, maybe CIM, so the clarksburg half could be a good final tuneup race.

anyway, good to see you again and hope to see you on the trails/races sometime

- alan

Hi Allen,

Every runner should do what you did--taking a break from competition and hard training just to give the body and mind a break. This won't hurt the competitive side of running and will most likely help it. Trying to maintain peak condition indefinitely is usually not a good idea. Preventive medicine is a better alternative than waiting until something bad happens.

I didn't think I'd be running again without going under the knife, so I'm happy with my progress these past couple months. I still might need some kind of procedure but for now the aches and pains are no worse than when I was running well a couple years ago.

Good to hear from you again and that you are still at. I have a feeling that we'll run into each other again before long.

Jim

Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

L Train is up tomorrow.

MandyS is up in about 2 hours and 10 minutes.  GO MANDY!

Thank you :-)  Just about to head out and walk down to the start - the advantage of a race in your hometown.  According to the paper there are 1500 in the half and 8500 in the fun run so the start might be quite busy.  

L Train

Thank you :-)  Just about to head out and walk down to the start - the advantage of a race in your hometown.  According to the paper there are 1500 in the half and 8500 in the fun run so the start might be quite busy.  

Come on Mandy, give me something to shoot for. 

Forgot to throw this in here, so just in case, I'm also running Half at the Hamptons tomorrow. A miracle could happen.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.