Flu shot (Read 914 times)

AroundTheHorn

Yay or Nay?
    Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
    JakeKnight

Yay or Nay?
      I predict Trent replies to this thread in approximately 42 seconds. Oh - and not only nay, but hell nay. I just had my first flu shot in two decades, and was promptly sick for three days. Now I'll probably get the flu. Because God loves irony. WTF this has to do with running I have no idea. I still vote nay.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Cause I CAN

I had one, was mandatory because of my transplant....not sure if your asking if it works or if it'll hender your running? I had one last year, I still got the flu but it wasn't nearly as horrible as it would have been, felt more like a bad cold. After the shot, I felt tired the next day but that was it.
        Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
        http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
        AroundTheHorn

I predict Trent replies to this thread in approximately 42 seconds. Oh - and not only nay, but hell nay. I just had my first flu shot in two decades, and was promptly sick for three days. Now I'll probably get the flu. Because God loves irony. WTF this has to do with running I have no idea. I still vote nay.
          Well, everytime I run during the winter I get a cold....it blows (no pun intended).
          AroundTheHorn

I had one, was mandatory because of my transplant....not sure if your asking if it works or if it'll hender your running? I had one last year, I still got the flu but it wasn't nearly as horrible as it would have been, felt more like a bad cold. After the shot, I felt tired the next day but that was it.
            Yes, As Jake pointed out after he got the shot he felt sick for a couple days after. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the initial cold you get from it is worth the chance of not getting the cold at all.
            mikeymike

You will still get colds. You will just be *somewhere between significantly and slightly* less likely to get actual influenza and to pass it on to your family and, if you do still get it, allegedly your symptoms will be less severe. In practice I've never seen this work. My kids get theirs every year. I have gotten the flu shot when it has been free at work or convenient to do so (it is not, presently so I'm debating researching where and how to get one myself) but there seems to be little to no correlation between my getting a flu shot and either getting or not getting the flu.

Runners run

JakeKnight

Yes, As Jake pointed out after he got the shot he felt sick for a couple days after. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the initial cold you get from it is worth the chance of not getting the cold at all.
                And the irony is that I'm one of those people who never, ever gets sick. It had probably been 5 years since I felt that bad. I was really knocked off my feet for a good 2 days after that stupid shot. Then again, I know some of the other people who got it at the same time I did weren't affected at all. And maybe those people will avoid the flu this year when they would have gotten it otherwise. So ... my answer, for me, is forever nay. Screw flu shots. For you? Maybe you're one of those other kind of people who allegedly benefit from the things. Supposedly those people actually exist. Supposedly.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

I'm 53, live in Canada had the flu shot twice but I haven't had a flu in 30 years. So I'd say, don't need it.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

xor

I know some people who feel somewhat crummy after getting a flu shot. I also know of a few people.... elderly... who have died from the flu and complications. So I make sure that every year my dad... 78th birthday yesterday, happy birthday dad... gets a flu shot. He's never felt too crummy afterwards, so far at least, and it seems like a good thing to do.

I missed my free flu shot at work this year because I was sick. I blame working in a windowless office with no ventilation now that they shut it off.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I'm getting a flu shot this Friday at my work. Last year I didn't have a job at this time and got a flu shot with the County. I got sick anyway in March and missed two weeks work. I hope this years flu shot works.
                          Yea, if you're in the groups that are most at risk. The young, the elderly. My parents' are in their late 70's & they get it every year. If you're in the health field, yes. If your company gives the shot for free, like my wife's, why not? I read something last year that they develop each year's shot by making an educated guess which type of influenza is going to be making the rounds each year. It's kind of crapshoot. I don't get the shot because I very rarely get sick. I'm also cheap. If I get my ass kicked by the flu this year I'll be singing a different tune next year.
                            Flu shot good idea. I hope it works this year. Tongue
                            jeffdonahue

I started getting them a few years back wehn my daughter was diagnosed with Diabetes. It is pretty much a given because if she does get the flue (the throw-uppy kind where she cant eat) she will end up in the hospital.
                              AroundTheHorn

The company is giving them out at work for free. Damn these decisions.