Missed 5K PR by 5 secs :( (Read 555 times)

Go Pre!

5K this morning, first race close to home in a long time! It is Gay Pride weekend in Toronto and this race was a part of the festivities. We couldn't resist and after last weekend's "heat bath almost DNF 10K" , I was raring to get back out there. The weather was perfect, 70 degrees, sunny and it is always nice running amongst the grandios buildings of downtown Toronto. It was a very interesting crowd as you might expect at a Gay Pride event. There were about 1000 runners, but it was also very well attended by familes of all ages so we definately were at a most interesting eace ever! Cam (our 7 yr old) was with us and ran with my wife in his first 5K. Despite his PR of 10:20 for 2K they finished around 35 mins as he kept wanting to stop and walk as his brand new SAUCONY's were tied too tight by yours truly (sorry Cammy!) Anyway he got the first 5K race outa th' way so at least he will be more confident next time around. Th eunfortunate part for me was that the KM s weren't marked. Apparently they were, with paint but no one really noticed! so I couldn't really pace myself as I have yet to win the lottery to afford me the Garmin 305 I want Wink I ran at a comfortable but agressive pace and hoped for the best. I ended up 97th overall, at 22:05, 5 seconds slower than my PR. I feel really good about the run though, as I felt much better during the race than I did during the 22:00 time from 2 months ago. Laughable - the 2 water stations were offering up, the selection of...get this...only full 12oz water bottles! What a waste. Oh well. Great swag though, nice dry fit short, sample colgnes, some new fangled exotic healthy fruit drink, candies, standard race promo parapernalia, and yes, that's right folks...condoms! AFter the race, there were lots of intersting booths selling clothing and stuff as the area was in the heart of the Gay Pride Parade route. The atmosphere was very festive ! Blush So, really, this was one of the more enjoyable races we've been to. Have a great weekend all. Dave
      Sounds like an interesting race, Dave! While you didn't get to PR, at least Cam did! That's pretty weird handing out water bottles at the aid stations, haven't seen that before.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Go Pre!

Sounds like an interesting race, Dave! While you didn't get to PR, at least Cam did! That's pretty weird handing out water bottles at the aid stations, haven't seen that before.
        I felt terrible grabbing one and using 1/4 of it then tossing it!