first time race ,only a few rookie mistakes ! (Read 644 times)

I wouldn't start another "my first race "thread ,except everyone on this forum is so positive (thanks !) I went to the Hartford ,Ct. Suesan G.Korman 5k race ,on the 7th .OMG was it big ! probably to big for a rookie ,but it is a great cause so I take just a little pride in suporting it. I think I staged a little to far back for a good time ,I was behind the baby buggys and the ladies in pink dresses ! Down side was thru the start line was just walking ,it was packed with people ,at least I didn't blow out early as I had worried about .I trained using the flat roads around my house so the hill was a challange ,should have varried my work out .Only excuse is as a rookie didn't want to risk injury (i'm old and my knees remind me of this fact,all the time ).Now can't wait til my next race ! ok ,32.11 there I said it. not fast but for a guy that couldn't lap 1/4 mile a few months ago a world record .
    jeffdonahue

Nice job! A race for a great cause, and dont sell yourself short because 32:11 is a completely respectable 5K time. And now you see how addicting racing can be. Smile
        32:11 is a great 5K time! Especially for a first race! Great job!! My first 5K was the Race for the Cure (Komen) 5K too. There were like 22,000 people there. yikes!
        -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
          32:11 is not a bad time for a first race. Great job!

- Anya

Nice job! A race for a great cause, and dont sell yourself short because 32:11 is a completely respectable 5K time. And now you see how addicting racing can be. Smile
            you guys (and gals ) are great ,every one is positive .I think this goes along with most runners don't you think? How adictive ? how about can't wait for next race ! I'm thinking fourth of july ,am going to spend next 3 weeks varying workouts ,I know I can do under 30 on a flat course ,well if there are no baby buggys in front of me ! Is it cheating to draft a baby buggy ?ha!

Giant Flaming Dork

you guys (and gals ) are great ,every one is positive .I think this goes along with most runners don't you think? How adictive ? how about can't wait for next race ! I'm thinking fourth of july ,am going to spend next 3 weeks varying workouts ,I know I can do under 30 on a flat course ,well if there are no baby buggys in front of me ! Is it cheating to draft a baby buggy ?ha!
              Hey! I was one of those buggy drivers in Hartford on Saturday!!! Big grin You did a great job!!! That course is one of the toughest 5k courses I've run. You may be able to knock a few minutes off on a flatter course. Asylum hill sucks. For those interested, this course is entered into the RA database. You may want to line up in front of the ladies in dresses next time... of course one of those ladies was a dude. (I think.)

http://xkcd.com/621/

Ya that was me behind you ,thanks for the draft up the hill ,what a great first experince ! I could not belive the swag in the sponsers tents !were those pink dresses cool max ?

Giant Flaming Dork

I din't really like the way they deal with the strollers. They make them all start at the back. Last year there were a bunch of buggy drivers that had to make their way through most of the field. One came in at 21:XX last year! Interestingly, I had a woman draft me all the way to mile 2 last year, only to drop me like yesterday's news - right before the second water station. Not even a "thanks" Oh well. Well, if I cut a path for you, you're welcome! It was a very enjoyable day and the swag WAS awesome!

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Ya that was me behind you ,thanks for the draft up the hill ,what a great first experince ! I could not belive the swag in the sponsers tents !were those pink dresses cool max ?
                    Don't knock the ladies in pink dresses! I have a couple pink running dresses that I bought a few years ago from SkirtSports. They aren't CoolMax, but are made of something similar. They are some of the most comfortable running clothes that I own. Unfortunately the pockets are in my undies, so I have to pull up the dress in the back and apparently reach into my butt to pull things in and out.
                      while I have a local runner on the line ,was thinking of the Springfield ,Ma .forth ofjuly 5k .any word on that one ? Wonder if this is a good #2 race!
                        Don't knock the ladies in pink dresses! I have a couple pink running dresses that I bought a few years ago from SkirtSports. They aren't CoolMax, but are made of something similar. They are some of the most comfortable running clothes that I own. Unfortunately the pockets are in my undies, so I have to pull up the dress in the back and apparently reach into my butt to pull things in and out.
                        no, these were like pink chifon prom dresses from the 60's ,and yes I remember the 60's !

Giant Flaming Dork

no, these were like pink chifon prom dresses from the 60's ,and yes I remember the 60's !
                          Yeah, I have to say... those dresses were heinous. (Is that how you spell heinous?) I've only run in CT, so I'm not sure about Springfield.