What is your opinion of Alberto Salazar as a coach? (Read 1632 times)

JimR

Roll eyes   oh no, please don't hold back just because I am female.  If you think my opinion is stupid, by all means say so.

Can I do this too?

Ah, Nobby! Great post, but please don't neuter your students!!!!

Teasing, of course, we know you meant "nurture" (at least, we hope we know).

Now THAT is when you guys should just jump in and call me "a dumb foreigner...!!" ;o)

I usually like to keep the original post--that's what I posted; but I think this calls for "fixing".  Ah!!  I'm killing myself... ;o)

Roll eyes   oh no, please don't hold back just because I am female.  If you think my opinion is stupid, by all means say so.

But this is when you should have asked; "How did you know I'm beautiful?" and I'd go on and embarrass Eric further by saying; "It's the way he reacted..." Big grin  But, sorry!! 

Feeling the growl again

Good post Nobby, thanks for the insights.  To be a fly on the wall in some of these interactions....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

ymmv

I don't think this cat is overstriding. I'll bet when those front paws hit the ground, the body has caught up and they land right under the shoulders.

And yet an expert here says, "[M]ost runners have a stride length that is too short..."

Maybe we should define overstriding:

Photobucket

This part of the cat family seems to be "overstriding".

C-R

Game, set and match to Nobby.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

#artbydmcbride

Can I do this too?

of course!  Cool

Runners run

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Hey Nobby,

I think what you wrote is fair; except for the part whereas Salazar is a "student" of running. Students ask questions; Salazar is one of absolutes. And he deems a more efficient running technique to exist as "impossible". Minor detail, its already documented.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200512/23/images/1222_B76.jpg

And he absolutely deems himself the best running coach on the planet. Especially since I was cleared by Nike's Sports Research lab that I know more about running than he does...

When I asked him to improve my "running" technique, since at 9.5MPH I was still walking.

7MPH with absolutely no arm swing necessary, his answer was to turn around and walk away. Especially since it takes walking inline in order to do it.

Not to mention that under his own research lab's verification, that I can easily improve any runner's biomechanic skill.

Students ask questions, jackasses don't.... Given he can't do it, he surely didn't ask me how I could....

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Lane

And he absolutely deems himself the best running coach on the planet. 

I don't know anybody like that on THIS discussion board...

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I don't think this cat is overstriding. I'll bet when those front paws hit the ground, the body has caught up and they land right under the shoulders.

Obviously you've never been around a cheetah. I absolutely love it when people who have never studied a subject at all proclaim to know everything about it...

Better yet, ask yourself the question; why can a cat at 9" in height jump to a 5ft fence, and a dog of the same size can't...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xor

Students ask questions, jackasses don't.... Given he can't do it, he surely didn't ask me how I could....

And yet, from Nobby's post: " I remember several years ago, I ran into him at one of the major marathons and I happened to have this publication about all the top Japanese marathon runners' training.  He was going over it very intensely and asked me if it's going to be translated.".

See what Mr Salazar did there?  He asked a question.

Just because he didn't ask YOU questions does not mean he is incapable of asking questions.  He can be a student.  He can also be a jackass or not.

You don't seem to ask many questions yourself that don't already have some agenda to prove your own point.

This wouldn't make you a jackass though.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I've lived my life asking questions, that's how I came up with different answers....

So how fast can you walk....

xor

I've lived my life asking questions, that's how I came up with different answers....

So how fast can you walk....

The point isn't so much that you ask (or don't ask) questions.

It's that... in the structure of this message board, at least... you don't have a reputation for asking questions as a way to learn.  You only ask questions as a lead-in to promote how amazing you are.

"How fast can you walk?"

You aren't asking me this so that you can learn as a student.  You are ONLY asking me this so that you can tell me that I could improve that speed through your Amazing Methods and/or to tell me that you can walk faster.

Which, well, has the shit/shinola relationship to learning.  At least as it applies to YOU being the learner.

You seem to be miffed at Mr Salazar because he didn't engage you in the manner that you desired.  Which, if you deliver stuff there the way that you do here, is not surprising.  Good luck in Seattle.  Try the fish.

Prince of Fatness

I don't know anybody like that on THIS discussion board...

Damn it you beat me to this one.

Not at it at all. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

My guess is to the contrary -- that it is reaching, and its paws are contacting well in front of its shoulders -- like a person swimming.

Here is a slow motion video -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCUyo2rwq-c

What's funny is that it is still too fast to make out the answer -- plus the grass is in the way. Why don't they chase antelopes on tracks, in front of videographers?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.