Chafing questions (Read 2257 times)

tomatolover

I've started getting major chaffing inside my thighs on 6+ mile runs, despite the fact that I use gratuitous amounts of bodyglide before the run...Do any of you have thoughts on bodyglide or other anti-chafing mechanisms that you use and love?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Body Glide is mediocre and the last few sticks I had crumbled about 2/3 of the way down.  I have found SportShield to work MUCH better.  It's harder to find, but it lasts a LOT longer for the price and works so much more effectively.  Body Glide's effects seem to wear off on me, but I've done 2 marathons with SportShield without even a hint of chafing (at least on the areas where I used it...forgot to put it on my underarms for last marathon and the sides of my sport bra did a # on my arms...I still have light scarring months later).   Their BlisterShield powder is fabulous in socks to help prevent blistering and hot spots, too.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

tomatolover

sounds like i need to try it...thanks for the advice!
          Have you tried compression shorts under your running short or a running skirt(has the compression shorts built in).  I use vaseline with compression short for my longer runs.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sure thing!  The manufacturer is 2 Toms...I order it from ZombieRunner.com.  I think ultra runner Jlynnbob was the one who recommended it to me...I think he recommended the sock powder, at least.  That stuff is golden.

~ Sarah Kay

You'll ruin your knees!

Yup, 2toms makes some really good stuff.  The blister powder is a must for long runs and their SportShield is really good stuff as well.  The only issue I have with the Sport Shield is their packaging is kind of cheesy and I never could figure out how to use it without getting it all over my hands...  But I haven't found anything more effective at stopping chaffing and blisters...

Good luck,

Lynn B

MTA: for the inner thighs, the compression shorts are also a very good way to go... You can even wear them under your normal running shorts if you don't like the look of your bum in compression shorts...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The only issue I have with the Sport Shield is their packaging is kind of cheesy and I never could figure out how to use it without getting it all over my hands...  But I haven't found anything more effective at stopping chaffing and blisters...

Yeah, those roll-on bottles do seem to leak.  Seems they could come up with a better package.  My 2nd bottle (I'm on my 3rd, took me almost a year to go through the first 2 and the first one lasted a really long time) leaked a lot, so I kept it in a ziplock bag.  But it still beats all the crumbled messes of Body Glide that I tossed in the trash with at least a quarter of the product unused.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

MTA: for the inner thighs, the compression shorts are also a very good way to go... You can even wear them under your normal running shorts if you don't like the look of your bum in compression shorts...

I know some gals have good luck with compression shorts, but the only ones I have found that don't ride-up are the Pearl Izumi ones that have leg-grippers...like cycling shorts, but without the chamois...I like them for runs of up to 10 miles.  My best anti-chafing solution has been running skirts with briefs/spankies underneath, instead of compression shorts or traditional running shorts.  A few swipes of SportShield on my inner thigh area and I'm good to go.  Lubed skin against lubed skin chafes a lot less than lubed skin with any fabric involved.  Leads to a lot less wet, sweaty fabric or spandex clinging to one's rear, too.

~ Sarah Kay

Queen of 3rd Place

I know a couple of women who swear by rowing trou

Ex runner

Imminent Catastrophe

As usual, Zoom is absolutely right.

SportShield is in a class by itself. It's the slipperiest stuff ever! I've never seen anything like it--once applied, you can't remove it without multiple soap and water washings, and that's a good thing. It's available in a roll-on or in towelette packs. It is hard to find but like I said, it's in a class by itself, and well worth it.

BTW Zombierunner is a great place to get just about anythng running-related. I am not a shill, I'm just sayin' that I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

In fact, like jylinnbob alluded, SportShield is so slippery that it leaks out of the roll-on bottle. I keep it in a ziplock for that reason. And the towelettes are nice because the TSA won't hassle you about them, and you can use them on the "naughty bits" after you've applied them elsewhere, in places you might not want to use the roll-on. Trust me, you don't want chafing on the "naughty bits", it's extremely painful.

MTA: I'm learning that compression shorts can help too...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I got past the chafing with compression shorts. Don't know if it's the sweat lubricating my runs recently but I've been using them very rarely over the summer and not having a problem since, luckily. But now of course my right ankle is getting chopped up from my shoes even though I'm not wearing my ankle socks. Must of been the trade-off.

Queen of 3rd Place

Thanks Zoomie & Perfesser, I just had a grand ol' time shopping at Zombierunner...really like the towelettes...

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks Zoomie & Perfesser, I just had a grand ol' time shopping at Zombierunner...really like the towelettes...

And the Ginger Chews...friggin' crack!  I like to order Sport Beans from them, too...and I need to place another order.  Guess that means more Ginger Chews.  That shit outta come with a warning. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

tomatolover

now that we're on the topic, do most of you ladies run with compression shorts or running shorts?  I've really taken to landsend's performance sport shorts, but find that they start running up around mile 5  (funny how stuff works up to a certain milage then starts sucking).
                              Dunottar

...and I'll add another question:

LynnB and Zoom - I've used SportShield roll-on for years, but was intrigued by the powder after reading your posts. This may be a stupid question but...how do you put it on? (It looks as though it comes in a big tub and not some sort of 'shaker' container like baby powder. I can't imagine you just dip your hand in there, and if it requires some kind of make-up dauber...I shall pass:-0)