Google Chrome for the Mac is out... (Read 759 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

...and it kinda sucks.

Heck, I can't even manage or import bookmarks from a file.  And the themes are all garish.

Ostrich runner

Which sorta sucks considering I'm really annoyed with firefox and don't like Safari...at that I've been using this Mac for 6 months now and am not at all convinced of its superiority.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Which sorta sucks considering I'm really annoyed with firefox and don't like Safari...

Camino baby.

http://caminobrowser.org/

at that I've been using this Mac for 6 months now and am not at all convinced of its superiority.

A browser is not a computer or an operating system, even though google wants you to think otherwise.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Glad you've already done some guinea-pigging...saves me the trouble. Wink  I probably won't download Chrome.  I have a feeling it won't work all that well on a 2 version old version of OS X running on a 5 year old machine.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

Camino baby.

http://caminobrowser.org/

A browser is not a computer or an operating system, even though google wants you to think otherwise.

I'll give camino a look.  I'm still not convinced on the Mac.  It's pretty and all, but it's still overpriced and more of a hassle than anything I've ever had.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Mac a hassle?  It is (supposed to be) very very easy.  My brand new Windows box freezes from Outlook alone.  Talk about hassles.  Mac?  No worries.  What causes you troubles?

Camino is great.

xor

I was fired (ok... er... replaced) from my favorite job at the borg.  The guy who made the goofy shit call?  He was the former Dev Manager of Outlook.

Sorry, Trent.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dude.

And for what?  A Microsoft application not working in a Microsoft environment on a brand new Microsoft-compatible machine.

xor

I'm sorry you are eating his dogfood. Outlook was always a slightly weird app, though it is much better now.

(this is actually a term inside the borg. "eat your own dogfood" = use your application and live through the pleasure and pain before others do)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Love the phrase.  I developed with a couple others a computerized clinical documentation tool in wide use now.  It is a fine tool, not great, but gets the job done.  It is quirky too.  And on busy weekends in clinic, I get to eat my own dogfood.  Interestingly, it is IE-specific, so I can't really use it on a Mac.
                        Glad you've already done some guinea-pigging...saves me the trouble. Wink  I probably won't download Chrome.  I have a feeling it won't work all that well on a 2 version old version of OS X running on a 5 year old machine.

Probably not, Chrome is 10.5 and above, as well as Intel only.

I've been playing with Chrome most of the day.  I'll try it for the week.  It is definitely "zippier" than Safari.

Ostrich runner

Mac a hassle?  It is (supposed to be) very very easy.  My brand new Windows box freezes from Outlook alone.  Talk about hassles.  Mac?  No worries.  What causes you troubles?

Camino is great.

No HDMI output, no blueray, I've had to download programs to do all kinds of things properly and I often not found the best stuff easily.  Some things, like the finder are sorta useful, but Windows organization is much better for my files.  I haven't used Outlook in a decade, but I haven't had any trouble I couldn't fix within a few minutes on my Windows machines.  I know there are workarounds for almost everything, but this thing certainly has saved me no time.

No HDMI output, no blueray, I've had to download programs to do all kinds of things properly and I often not found the best stuff easily.  Some things, like the finder are sorta useful, but Windows organization is much better for my files.  I haven't used Outlook in a decade, but I haven't had any trouble I couldn't fix within a few minutes on my Windows machines.  I know there are workarounds for almost everything, but this thing certainly has saved me no time.

I have an iMac and a HP laptop at home.  For some things like iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto I love the Mac. Very easy to use and nicely integrated. For other things, I'll take the PC.   Neither are perfect, and both have their place depending on what you're doing.  

I do use Chrome on my home and work PC and I prefer it handsdown over IE, firefox or Safari. 

Ostrich runner

Yeah...I shouldn't be overly negative.  Here I am balanced by a couple scenesters who consider Macs a religion though.  Also, I should have mentioned Quicktime--I see absolutely no redeeming value in its existence.