Best breathable waterproof jacket for under $100 (Read 1359 times)

Is this a good time to buy a jacket for the upcoming autumn/winter season? I've seen some sound discounts in a couple of online running shops and I wonder if I could benefit from them. I am after my first "good" technical jacket, so I don't have too much experience. I have one, but even though it is supposed to be breathable, all my sweat remains inside when I run, and it STINKS even after 3-4 miles... Are there any *REALLY* breathable fabrics out there? I have planned to spend around ~$100 in this garment, which one(s) would you consider?
    PRs 5K 21:44 10K 51:35 51:09 48:41
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Breathable fabrics like GoreTex really are breathable. They're great for walking around in the rain. They work because water vapor can pass through while liquid water can't. But I've never had one that could keep me dry while running. The sweat can't evaporate fast enough to pass out through the jacket. I find most waterproof jackets are overkill for running and way too hot. Look for ones specifically made for running / high levels of activity, with lots of adjustable ventilation. Soft shells are very nice.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      Sonia04

Dear Sir or Madam, please be advised that I was hoping to provide a longer and more supercilious explanation for this censor. However, the man with the blue car has suggested that any such explanations should be substituted for ones that are ...hold on, please, let me get the exact word for you..."terse." In view of the preceding: "spam."

Get Lost :)

^ I'm not saying that's spam. This is me, saying that might not be spam. Oh, it's definitely spam.
          mikeymike

You've got to admit though, the spambots are getting smarter.  This one dredged up every 2 year old thread with the word "jacket" in it in a matter of minutes.

Quick, Beta, save us all from the dreaded spambot!  These things are dangerous!

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Embrace the weather.

I've never found something both waterproof and breathable.  Wet from sweat or rain, you're wet either way.  I've come to accept that I don't care about being wet, I just don't want to be cold.  In warm rain, I just get wet and wear as little as possible.  If it is cool, I wear a windproof vest that is mostly waterproof but allows sweat etc to escape out the arms and back.  Wind will make you cold more than the rain.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Yay!  Beta to the rescue.

Although Beta, maybe you should leave one of them so we know where not to shop.

Not at it at all. 

Get Lost :)

I wonder if robots would even bother certain places if they knew how relatively small the community is. Seems like a waste for them.

Yay!  Beta to the rescue.

Although Beta, maybe you should leave one of them so we know where not to shop.

I would, but I need to be respectful of the spammers.  Eric is a decent fellow and he's the boss. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Heh.  Now I guess I need to look at dates on posts.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Carl A

Trash bag.

High-class runners worried about their public image on the boulevard should maybe spend extra for a poncho (a trash-bag with a hood).

With each stride, both styles are "breathable" in that they exhale out the bottom and armholes.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Prince of Fatness

Trash bag.

Done that more times than I would like to admit.  Whenever I go out with the trash bag on me, Mrs PH asks me to put a mask on so the neighbors don't know who I am.

The trash bag works, though.

Not at it at all. 

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm just curious why there are four threads about jackets, and it's almost May.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm just curious why there are four threads about jackets, and it's almost May.

Heh. Now I guess I need to look at dates on posts.

'Cause spammers are kinda dumb.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Actually this thread was good timing for me because it is raining outside and I was thinking rain jacket or no rain jacket.  I have an Asics jacket that I love but I don't know what model it is.  All I know is I picked it up at the local running store and it has the flying pig logo on it.  Thought it was cool because it was black and had a big vent in the back.  I think it is about as good as you get for this sort of thing.  However, even on a day like today when it is raining outside and 57 I still wonder if it is too hot for it.  It is not the sweat piece for me here because the jacket works well for that it is just that I like to wear as little as legally allowed

So with that todays big decision is that I will run without the rain jacket but maybe with gloves!

2011 Goals:
                                  Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                                  Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)