BAYSTATE - who is running? (Read 1234 times)

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

I'll be there as well hope to finish in about 5-51/2hr range. But just want to finish. Hopefully my parents will be able to attend. Doug

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Now that we're six days out, the forecast is showing sunny, high of 55.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      jeffdonahue

Sounds perfect to me. Let's hope that forecast holds.
          Honest question: marathonguide.com lists Bay State as one of the marathons with highest percent of Boston qualifying finishers in 2007 (30.2%) -- third only to Mohawk-Hudson River and Boston itself. For future research purposes, anyone want to venture thoughts on what makes Bay State such a great BQ race?

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I'll be there as well hope to finish in about 5-51/2hr range. But just want to finish. Hopefully my parents will be able to attend. Doug
            Good luck, Doug! I hope it goes well for you.
            xor

Honest question: marathonguide.com lists Bay State as one of the marathons with highest percent of Boston qualifying finishers in 2007 (30.2%) -- third only to Mohawk-Hudson River and Boston itself. For future research purposes, anyone want to venture thoughts on what makes Bay State such a great BQ race?
              Flat course, generally nice weather, not overly crowded. Plus, and don't underestimate this when it comes to those stats, lots of people show up specifically to qualify.

mikeymike

It was originally put on specifically as a low-cost, no-frills marathon for New Englanders just looking to qualify and not really interested in a beautiful course, marching bands, post-race massages and the other frills found at your typical big-city marathon. It's grown over the years and this year will even be part of the USATF-NE Grand Prix, causing the organizers to implement and hit a field limit for the first time, but it has maintained most of it's low-key, New England road race feel. It's fast more because of who shows up than because of the course. Don't get me wrong the course is fast but probably not Chicago fast.

Runners run

Cool ... sounds like a honest-to-goodness "runners race." Best of luck to everyone running this year.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

I like it, yesterday was WAY too warm to be October 12th.

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I'll be there, hoping for a BQ and good weather (and missing the marching bands - hey, I LIKE marching bands). I'm pretty nervous at the moment.

uncontrollable

I have a good feeling that the weather is going to be just right. As long as my mind, my stomach, & my legs stay relaxed this week right into my first few miles Sunday - everything will be great. Let's all rip that course apart! Oh yeah! Wink

peace

uncontrollable

I'll be doing the HM - it's my first race ever and I am VERY excited! dari
                          Nice - good luck & have fun!

peace

thanks and you, too. Is anyone going to the expo/dinner the day before. Having never run a race is it worth attending? dari all these questions - so little time.

jeffdonahue

thanks and you, too. Is anyone going to the expo/dinner the day before. Having never run a race is it worth attending? dari all these questions - so little time.
                              I wont be attending either. I am going to try to make it down to the early pickup place tomorrow to get my bib number and there is just way too much stuff going on during the weekends. I think we have something like 3 soccer games, book club and a 2 birthday parties this weekend along with the marathon.
                              seeEricaRun

Awesome

I never go, but I was debating it this time. My husband is out of town, and going out with my friends for dinner is too dangerous. There be liquor there.