BAYSTATE - who is running? (Read 1234 times)

lostinthenet3

MM#1869

Number 332 checking in and freaking out. Doug.

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."

jeffdonahue

Well, half of me is freaking out - the other half is still in denial that the race is only 4 days away. Wink
      seeEricaRun

Awesome

Temperature is creeping up - hoping it doesn't get over 60.
        mikeymike

Temperature is creeping up - hoping it doesn't get over 60.
          Now you're just getting greedy. It won't be 86. That's fer sher.

Runners run

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Now you're just getting greedy. It won't be 86. That's fer sher.
            If it goes up to 86, I'm watching you guys run.
            jeffdonahue

I did just notice that on the website everyone's bib numbers are now listed.
                Thanks Jeff, I can finish most of the entries on page 1. #851

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

nkeliher

Running nut

Guess that mean's I'm #1091. Now I have a goal to place higher than my bib number Smile
                    I am in Western, MA and will drive in on Sunday AM.
                    I noticed you run for the Greater Springfield Harriers, I assume the Walter Childs Memorial is among your many marathons? How tough is that course?

E.J.
                    Greater Lowell Road Runners
                    Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Hi Bad Dawg--- I haven't run the Walter Childs marathon myself, but know of many folks who have. I love hills, so I may not be the best to ask. I am actually worried a bit about the flatness of Baystate and know that I'll need to change up pacing now and then so I don't get into a rut using the same leg muscles. Anyway, the Walter Childs marathon has a bunch of rolling hills and then the hills at the very end are longer and more of a climb----like the Newton Hills. It's a great race and the volunteers are passionate about supporting it even though it's small and low key (less than 100 usually). The time of year can be more of a factor, since May can bring about 80 degree weather with some Valley humidity. Not great. Hope that helps some. If you don't mind running by yourself for stretches in a small race, this could be the one for you. The hilliest marathon I've ever run was the Stowe marathon. Yowsa..too bad it was discontinued. Karin

uncontrollable

I am going to pick-up my # Sat. at the expo. I am carbo loading at home (going out to dinner Fri. night). I had a chance to stretch & loosen my legs last night by dancing at the Madonna concert! The woman is ripped - I knew she was in shape but last night really made it clear - she is shredded- I was impressed.

peace

jeffdonahue

I noticed you run for the Greater Springfield Harriers, I assume the Walter Childs Memorial is among your many marathons? How tough is that course?
                          If that is the marathon that I am thinking of (Race of Champions) I did that a while back. The course wasnt too bad till the end. We spent the first 9 miles or so running on a path around a reservoir (3-4 laps I think) adn then took off onto the streets. The path was nice because at least you had people every once in a while (even if they were lapping me). LIke CNY said, there are usually less than 100 runners so by the time I hit the half-way mark, there was nobody around and it was like I was doing a training run by myself. The last 2+ miles are a long steady incline and then a really steep section for the last 1/4 mile or so. There were other rolling hills along the course up till then but nothing really bad. Though this was all about 4 years ago so maybe they ahve changed the course or I may be remembering it wrong. The toughest part by far was just the fact that there were so few people.
                            The weather for Sunday is still looking good. Too bad that doesn't stop my NERVES!!!
                            jeffdonahue

The weather for Sunday is still looking good. Too bad that doesn't stop my NERVES!!!
                              I hear ya! Just try to keep busy and keep your mind off it.
                                hi everyone, It's my 1st marathon, I'm #1090. I'm wondering if anyone knows if they supply any food as well at the water stations? Thanks, Tony.