BAYSTATE - who is running? (Read 1234 times)

nkeliher

Running nut

A little chilly but generally favorable weather. Heading to bed soon and won't watch the rest of the Sox game. I wish you all a great race and look forward to hearing how you all did. Good luck!
      I just thought I'd drop in to say good luck to all those running BayState tomorrow. I've been hearing about the preparation at work all week, let's hope I get to hear about some great races for the next couple weeks.
      jeffdonahue

My # is 235 ... here's to finishing the Grand Prix Series! Roll eyes
        Hey, me too - we should have gotten together at one of the earlier events. Smile Remember that long hike to RI to run a 5K?
        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

3:05:47 (watch time) Going to Boston! I had a great race. No wall, very steady splits. This just proves to me that long-term consistency matters more than any particular training program -- I took three weeks off at what would have been peak training, and my longest training run was 16 miles. Looking for sub-3 in Boston on Patriot's day. Smile
          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
          mikeymike

Congrats, Ed! See you in Hopkinton in April. 2:49:19. Today I ran the race of my life. That's about all I can say. Half splits of 1:24:40 / 1:24:39. I shit you not. Hope everyone had a good one. Great day, a bit windy but hey. Great day. Many beers now.

Runners run

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Mike, that is awesome. Yes, many beers.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              nkeliher

Running nut

Mike and Ed, you guys are pros! Congrats on the great times. This was my first marathon and I finished in 3:41:52, better than my predicted range of 3:45-3:55. This gives me a baseline to improve on. Who knows, with a bit more training (like 52 weeks) I could get dangerously close to the 3:10 BQ mark. Congrats and thanks to all who ran, cheered, handed out water and offered online support. It was greatly appreciated and made this first experience a really special one. No other sport offers such camaraderie - makes you want to come back for more. Off to shower, eat, rest and watch football.

Me and my gang in Breck

Congrats, Ed! See you in Hopkinton in April. 2:49:19. Today I ran the race of my life. That's about all I can say. Half splits of 1:24:40 / 1:24:39. I shit you not. Hope everyone had a good one. Great day, a bit windy but hey. Great day. Many beers now.
                  Nice job Mikey. You were flying when I saw you at mile 24.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Congrats MikeyMike! Way to set a new PR!

Flat footer

Great runs Mike, Nat and Ed. What great weather for a marathon! A little chilly at the start but very comfortable after warming up. Well I ran my first HM. I did better the expected. I was thinking I could do 2:15 - 2:20. I ended up doing 2:08. My foot pod shit the bed at mile 10 so I think I could have pushed my self more at the end if I knew my pace... I think I did pretty good for a 42 year old who has only been running for 5 months.
                      TJoseph

Congratulations Mike, Ed, and Nathan!
                          Well, I did it! I'm no longer a race virgin. Today was my first race of any variety so it was a much bigger deal to me than I would have let on to anyone. My goal was a < 2:00 finish and i did it. my official time was... 1:59:58. i can honestly say that this ranks up there as one of the top days of my life. i learned a slew of lessons today that i'll chew over in the days ahead - not the least of which is a slow start saves races and i'm proof of that. i was so concerned about going out too fast that i under-ran (if that's a word) fearing the worst. when i do my training runs daily i usually run a 8 - 8:30 mile. as a novice runner, i had heard so many horror stories about finding yourself at mile 8 or 10 or 12 feeling like death and i was desperate to finish at all cost. i can honestly say that i never ever felt fatigued or crappy in anyway. at the halfway point, i was at 1:01:40 or something and i knew that i could increase my speed because i still felt amazing - way better than i have ever felt having just run 6.5 miles. though i will admit my hope of reaching my goal was shot. even with that realization, though i never increased it much just waiting for something yucky to happen which never did, and the last 3 miles - i kicked it. when we hit the arena and the guy said over the loudspeaker, "if you plan on an under 2:00 finish - you have 30 seconds...", i bolted like never before. when i crossed the finish line and saw my time i hope to christ no one got a picture of me because i just know that i look profoundly "special" as in a blackmail opportunity just ripe for the pickin'. my one big lesson learned of many is if you are a mother and a novice runner, leave your ^&*&&$@ apron at home. there is a girl wearing black tights & a red shirt who is drenched and likely very pissed & even more cold because of me. yeah, i know (now) - when at a water station throw your cups to the right... well, what if you are a mother and used to picking up after people in your house and you are sure you see a garbage can just up ahead on the left and your equally sure you can hit it? well, then you hold on to the gatorade that you thought was water that you did not drink because you hate gatorade and didn't train with it... and you peg it at said can and miss by a mile and soak the previously-mentioned 20-something pretty girl in red & black. i'm sorry young girl. i'm even sorrier for apologizing profusely and then speaking to the advantages of not procreating & creating the very progeny that makes you feel the need to throw cup in can instead of on the ground like they do just knowing that you will pick up after them. i may well be one of the happiest humans on the planet today... or least my little plot. :) dari 2:00="" finish="" and="" i="" did="" it.="" my="" official="" time="" was...="" 1:59:58.="" i="" can="" honestly="" say="" that="" this="" ranks="" up="" there="" as="" one="" of="" the="" top="" days="" of="" my="" life.="" i="" learned="" a="" slew="" of="" lessons="" today="" that="" i'll="" chew="" over="" in="" the="" days="" ahead="" -="" not="" the="" least="" of="" which="" is="" a="" slow="" start="" saves="" races="" and="" i'm="" proof="" of="" that.="" i="" was="" so="" concerned="" about="" going="" out="" too="" fast="" that="" i="" under-ran="" (if="" that's="" a="" word)="" fearing="" the="" worst.="" when="" i="" do="" my="" training="" runs="" daily="" i="" usually="" run="" a="" 8="" -="" 8:30="" mile.="" as="" a="" novice="" runner,="" i="" had="" heard="" so="" many="" horror="" stories="" about="" finding="" yourself="" at="" mile="" 8="" or="" 10="" or="" 12="" feeling="" like="" death="" and="" i="" was="" desperate="" to="" finish="" at="" all="" cost.="" i="" can="" honestly="" say="" that="" i="" never="" ever="" felt="" fatigued="" or="" crappy="" in="" anyway.="" at="" the="" halfway="" point,="" i="" was="" at="" 1:01:40="" or="" something="" and="" i="" knew="" that="" i="" could="" increase="" my="" speed="" because="" i="" still="" felt="" amazing="" -="" way="" better="" than="" i="" have="" ever="" felt="" having="" just="" run="" 6.5="" miles.="" though="" i="" will="" admit="" my="" hope="" of="" reaching="" my="" goal="" was="" shot.="" even="" with="" that="" realization,="" though="" i="" never="" increased="" it="" much="" just="" waiting="" for="" something="" yucky="" to="" happen="" which="" never="" did,="" and="" the="" last="" 3="" miles="" -="" i="" kicked="" it.="" when="" we="" hit="" the="" arena="" and="" the="" guy="" said="" over="" the="" loudspeaker,="" "if="" you="" plan="" on="" an="" under="" 2:00="" finish="" -="" you="" have="" 30="" seconds...",="" i="" bolted="" like="" never="" before.="" when="" i="" crossed="" the="" finish="" line="" and="" saw="" my="" time="" i="" hope="" to="" christ="" no="" one="" got="" a="" picture="" of="" me="" because="" i="" just="" know="" that="" i="" look="" profoundly="" "special"="" as="" in="" a="" blackmail="" opportunity="" just="" ripe="" for="" the="" pickin'.="" my="" one="" big="" lesson="" learned="" of="" many="" is="" if="" you="" are="" a="" mother="" and="" a="" novice="" runner,="" leave="" your="" ^&*&&$@="" apron="" at="" home.="" there="" is="" a="" girl="" wearing="" black="" tights="" &="" a="" red="" shirt="" who="" is="" drenched="" and="" likely="" very="" pissed="" &="" even="" more="" cold="" because="" of="" me.="" yeah,="" i="" know="" (now)="" -="" when="" at="" a="" water="" station="" throw="" your="" cups="" to="" the="" right...="" well,="" what="" if="" you="" are="" a="" mother="" and="" used="" to="" picking="" up="" after="" people="" in="" your="" house="" and="" you="" are="" sure="" you="" see="" a="" garbage="" can="" just="" up="" ahead="" on="" the="" left="" and="" your="" equally="" sure="" you="" can="" hit="" it?="" well,="" then="" you="" hold="" on="" to="" the="" gatorade="" that="" you="" thought="" was="" water="" that="" you="" did="" not="" drink="" because="" you="" hate="" gatorade="" and="" didn't="" train="" with="" it...="" and="" you="" peg="" it="" at="" said="" can="" and="" miss="" by="" a="" mile="" and="" soak="" the="" previously-mentioned="" 20-something="" pretty="" girl="" in="" red="" &="" black.="" i'm="" sorry="" young="" girl.="" i'm="" even="" sorrier="" for="" apologizing="" profusely="" and="" then="" speaking="" to="" the="" advantages="" of="" not="" procreating="" &="" creating="" the="" very="" progeny="" that="" makes="" you="" feel="" the="" need="" to="" throw="" cup="" in="" can="" instead="" of="" on="" the="" ground="" like="" they="" do="" just="" knowing="" that="" you="" will="" pick="" up="" after="" them.="" i="" may="" well="" be="" one="" of="" the="" happiest="" humans="" on="" the="" planet="" today...="" or="" least="" my="" little="" plot.="" :)=""></ 2:00 finish and i did it. my official time was... 1:59:58. i can honestly say that this ranks up there as one of the top days of my life. i learned a slew of lessons today that i'll chew over in the days ahead - not the least of which is a slow start saves races and i'm proof of that. i was so concerned about going out too fast that i under-ran (if that's a word) fearing the worst. when i do my training runs daily i usually run a 8 - 8:30 mile. as a novice runner, i had heard so many horror stories about finding yourself at mile 8 or 10 or 12 feeling like death and i was desperate to finish at all cost. i can honestly say that i never ever felt fatigued or crappy in anyway. at the halfway point, i was at 1:01:40 or something and i knew that i could increase my speed because i still felt amazing - way better than i have ever felt having just run 6.5 miles. though i will admit my hope of reaching my goal was shot. even with that realization, though i never increased it much just waiting for something yucky to happen which never did, and the last 3 miles - i kicked it. when we hit the arena and the guy said over the loudspeaker, "if you plan on an under 2:00 finish - you have 30 seconds...", i bolted like never before. when i crossed the finish line and saw my time i hope to christ no one got a picture of me because i just know that i look profoundly "special" as in a blackmail opportunity just ripe for the pickin'. my one big lesson learned of many is if you are a mother and a novice runner, leave your ^&*&&$@ apron at home. there is a girl wearing black tights & a red shirt who is drenched and likely very pissed & even more cold because of me. yeah, i know (now) - when at a water station throw your cups to the right... well, what if you are a mother and used to picking up after people in your house and you are sure you see a garbage can just up ahead on the left and your equally sure you can hit it? well, then you hold on to the gatorade that you thought was water that you did not drink because you hate gatorade and didn't train with it... and you peg it at said can and miss by a mile and soak the previously-mentioned 20-something pretty girl in red & black. i'm sorry young girl. i'm even sorrier for apologizing profusely and then speaking to the advantages of not procreating & creating the very progeny that makes you feel the need to throw cup in can instead of on the ground like they do just knowing that you will pick up after them. i may well be one of the happiest humans on the planet today... or least my little plot. :) dari>

Flat footer

If you didnt eat all those candy corns you could have done 1:59:57 Tongue Great job Dari!
                              yeah... well... you should have seen me after midnight at the Doubletree-Lowell last night (or early this morning) when I couldn't sleep and finally got out of bed and had key-lime pie! I have a problem that probably warrants 12-steps and tons of running! Wink

I may well be one of the happiest humans on the planet today... or least my little plot. Smile dari
                                Way to go CDB, that is a GREAT first race. Based on your amazing log, I knew you were going to crush this one Mikey, and you sure did. And Ed, that's an excellent time as well. Nathan, your time was awesome for a first marathon. Sorry to hear about the technical difficulties gumhead, but that's a great HM debut. It was a great day in the BayState, RA's home, well done! If I ever wake up from my nap, I hope to download some pics from my camera and post a report. I'm pretty happy with my 3:22:24, it was good enough to put a BQ asterisk next to my time.

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.