Banana Man goes Sub 40 and beyond............. (Read 667 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Hi folks... Couldnt wait to get posting the result of my race on Saturday! The result... 38:59! (unofficial) I can hardly believe it. Im still on a high. I must thank you all for your support and encouragement over the past while. This was my big race in my home town and I wanted to prove to myself that I could go sub 40. Race conditions were perfect. Cool, overcast and only a slight breeze. I was nervous but had warmed up well and felt reasonably good. I got myself intoo the second row of runners at the start to make sure I wasnt held up and took off at what felt a comfortable pace. I arrived at 1k in 3:30 which frightened me a bit. I wouldnt be able to keep this pace up but I new I couldnt drop off too much. There was a slight climb up to 2k so I dug in to try to keep on target and made it there in 7:15. I was feeling the pace now and had to try and relax without dropping off the pace. There was another rise to the 3k mark and I decided not to check my time and to push on to the 4k mark. 3- 4k was on forest trail but felt fairly fast so i was a bit dissappointed to hit 4k in 16:04. I got talking to another runner just before the 4k mark and he was aiming for 39 we chatted a bit before being jokingly told off by a runner comming up behind us that we were going to too easy if we were able to chat. He invited me to keep up with him. I tried for a few hundred meters but had to let him go or I would have blew it. At the 5k mark it was 19:19. I was pleasantly suprised but knew that with a huge hill between 7 & 8K this is where I had to be to go sub 40. It was dig in time now. I was starting to hurt and I had to try and relax. I let my 39 pacemaker go and tried to focus on my own goals. I know I checked my watch at 6k but I cant remember the time. I started to feel relaxed between 6 & 7 although there were some thoughts in my head at this stage that I might not do it. Maybe this helped me relax, I dont know. At 7k I was off the pace, 28:14! and there was a whopper of a hill coming up. In training this was tough and it could be as much as a minute on your time. It was dig in time now and hope for the best. Ididnt check my time at 8k! 8 to 9 was a fast section and i new this was it. No regrets! I had to push! At 9k I couldn't believe it! 35:04! I was going to go sub 40. and probably well under. I was running out of steam now but just had to keep going. The last 300m were on the running track and I thought about saving a bit til then. But there could be no regrets. I dug deep. I reached the track and I heard my name. I heard it again. Shouts of encouragement from the crowd. with 150 to go I heard my name a gain and i started to lengthen my stride. There was nothing there. I dug deeper! at about 50m to go I could see the clock. 38 something! a bit closer and I could read 38:50. I sprinted on empty! I had to be close to 39:00. I finished gasping. I had given it everything! But what a reward! My wife had photographed me finishing, the clock said 38:58. I was 2m off the line in the photobut I'm going to say 38:59 until I get the official result. Running. The most rewarding sport in the world!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Into the wild

Great job mate. I was out of breath just reading it.

Shut up and run

Slow-smooth-fast

Great job mate. I was out of breath just reading it.
        Me too, that was a great report. Fantastic result. I too am chasing the sub 40. I am ready, but will keep on the MAF training for the moment.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Think Whirled Peas

WELL DONE! Way to dig deep and stay on task when the tank went dry. Enjoy it, Banana Man, you certainly earned it.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

A Saucy Wench

Fantastic!!!! Big grin Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Congrats again, Banana Man. This one is worth two (gotcha on 10k thread too). Just wait until you start training Wink
              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                What a great report, fantastic job, congratulations bananaman.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Right on Hereford...

Awesome job, Banana Man. You killed it, but your pacing was either crazy, or the hills/terrain were responsible for a huge variation in splits. Or the kilometer marks could have been way off, as well. Check out your paces below (if I did the math correctly)... km. time 1. 3:30 2. 3:45 3-4. 4:25 avg. 5. 3:15 6-7. 4:28 avg. 8-9. 3:25 avg. 10. 3:55 That's a range of 5:14 per mile pace (for your fastest kilometer) to 7:11 per mile (for your slowest two kilometers). If this wasn't the fault of hills or mismarked splits, then I'd guess with proper pacing you could go much faster... Smile
                  Eustace Tierney

YoYo

km. time 1. 3:30 FAIRLY FLAT AND MARKER -SEEMS ACCURATE 2. 3:45 SLIGHT CLIMB TO 2K MARK -SEEMS ACCURATE 3-4. 4:25 avg. FOREST TRAIL BUT SHOULD BE FAST- MARKER MAY BE OUT A BIT. 5. 3:15 I TRIED TO FOLLOW A SUB 39'R FOR A BIT HERE. 6-7. 4:28 avg. FEELING THE PACE COMING UP TO 6K- HILL AT START OF 7K 8-9. 3:25 avg. DOWNHILL SECTION AT END OF 8K WOULD HAVE BROUGHT THIS DOWN 10. 3:55 FLAT FINISHING K. -SEEMS ACCURATE quote> It does seem a bit crazy and you are probably right about my pacing. Only my second race in about 5 years. You could count the rest of my races on one hand. Another race next month so maybe i'll have learned a bit. Cheers!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Awesome job, Banana Man. You killed it, but your pacing was either crazy, or the hills/terrain were responsible for a huge variation in splits. Or the kilometer marks could have been way off, as well. Check out your paces below (if I did the math correctly)... km. time 1. 3:30 2. 3:45 3-4. 4:25 avg. 5. 3:15 6-7. 4:28 avg. 8-9. 3:25 avg. 10. 3:55 That's a range of 5:14 per mile pace (for your fastest kilometer) to 7:11 per mile (for your slowest two kilometers). If this wasn't the fault of hills or mismarked splits, then I'd guess with proper pacing you could go much faster... Smile
                      Yes I was scratching my head over this. Maybe you tried to remember splits in your head and do not remember exactly. I don't see how you could run a 3:15 kilometer in the middle of a 10k...that is a 16:15 pace for a 5k race. Either way it looks like you are doing this on very low miles. Put in some training and you will be bloiwing people away. Nice work.
                      Eustace Tierney

YoYo

4-5k doesnt seem right at all. I expect the 4k marker was out as this was on forest trail. On reflection 4-5 seemed a bit short. I dont think I was running any faster here than the first k. Yes I did just look at my watch and try to remember the splits. I was afraid of pressing the wrong button - I forgot to turn the stop watch on in my previous race. All part of the learning curve. Thanks again!

JimR

Nice going! It's not unusual for some of the intermediate course markers for miles or k's to be misplaced. Sometimes they can't put the sign where the marker is and your splits look wonky, but the overall distance is usually right. I normally look for the actual painted marker on the when I mark my split.