Tips for keeping phone from freezing? (Read 154 times)

BigDaddyJoe

I know a lot of people here frown on running with their phones, but I like it.  So if you're just going to give your opinion on that, please just go elsewhere.

Now that I got that out of the way - last winter, there were several times when I was out running in February that my iPhone shut down on me (it actually said it was shutting down because the temperature was too HOT, I guess there is no warning about it being too cold).  Is there anything I can do to keep my phone warm enough that this won't happen?  Maybe something to put it in?  I thought about using a hand warmer or something, but was afraid that might do damage.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

kilkee

runktrun

I wrap mine in something waterproof and put it in my bra.  But...I think you're a dude.  Can you replicate the same principle by putting it in a pocked in a base layer?  Make sure you put it in a plastic baggy to prevent moisture from accumulating.  Even if you dont' sweat much, the temp differential will cause some condensation.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

My phone did the same thing, and I've found the iPhone 6S to be even more temperature sensitive.  I use a Lifeproof case which is waterproof (and sweat proof) and keep my phone in a FlipBelt around my waist.  Depending on how cold it is, I can keep the belt next to my base layer or just under my jacket.  I can still use my headphones by just stringing the cord up through my clothes.

Leah, mother of dogs

#artbydmcbride

Run here in So Cal.  My phone never freezes

Runners run

muppy

I just put my phone in SPI belt and a ziplock bag, it stays close to my skin so I guess that keeps it warm.  I've run down to about 0° with it that way and never had any problems.

xhristopher

Where do you live? Siberia? I live in New England and always run with my iphone in my hand. I've never had a problem.

L Train

Fortunately there's probably overlap here with the dick hurt in the cold morning thread.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Fortunately there's probably overlap here with the dick hurt in the cold morning thread.

Yeah, maybe guys can insert their phone into some of the equipment suggested in that thread.

BigDaddyJoe

Where do you live? Siberia? I live in New England and always run with my iphone in my hand. I've never had a problem.

I live in New Jersey.  There were 3 days in February where it happened.  I think the temperature was in the 0-7 degree range, but there were negative wind chills.  I run with my phone in my hand also.

The miracle isn't that I finished, the miracle is that I had the courage to start.

obiebyke

Me, not Siberia, but Minnesota. Happens all the time for months in the winter. I often run when it's below zero. Even if I put my phone closer to my body, it shuts itself off.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

BigDaddyJoe

I'm starting marathon training on December 29 for a May 1 marathon.  I can't have my phone shutting down on me on some of my longer runs.  I know my route for a 5k run, and a 5 mile run.  Anything over that, and I have no clue, I just go and keep adding different turns to add distance.

kcam

I can see why they shutdown the phone when it gets too cold.  I was in China during a very cold winter a bunch of years ago and my digital camera locked up because it was so cold.  I'd have rather it intelligently shutdown before the danger zone because when it locked it also corrupted my memory card and I lost a couple hundred photos from that trip.  Learned to always keep my camera inside my jacket on days that cold.  I believe it was below 0F that day.

For short runs maybe try using an app that draws some power, it can keep itself warm.  Now there's an app idea ... PhoneWarmer (AKA BatteryDrainer).  Semi-seriously, an app that regulates your phone temp to be >X deg F using power draw.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Cold does stupid stuff to electronics.  Years ago I was doing photo work outdoors and my SLR's light meter crapped-out.  It ended up more cost-effective to buy a new camera.  That was an entirely manual everything film camera.  I won't even take a DSLR or digital point-n-shoot out if it's below freezing.  Not worth the risk.

Fortunately I've never had issues with a phone.  I don't do anything special.  My 5s is in a Lifeproof case and either a jacket pocket or belt.  I've run <0, too.  Maybe I just put off a lot of heat...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I run with my camera (aka phone) in pants pocket or pocket in insulated top (sporthill fleece, not a puffball). It's in a cheap flip case.  We haven't had particularly cold winters lately (never reached 0F last year, but have gotten down there - or almost there - a couple days this fall), but I've not had a problem with my phone. My ipad, otoh, if left in the car, even under insulating layers, will complain about being too hot when I bring it inside. I just give it time to warm up.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I usually don't have an issue when I keep it in my hand.  But I set it down on a stone wall a few days ago while I tied my shoe and it shut down immediately. I won't do that again.

You can call me Anna