FR305 and Issues With "Courses" Function (Read 388 times)

My first 305, the Courses functionality didn't work.  It tracked my run just fine; it mostly uploaded all info to Training Center/SportTracks/RA without incident, although it did give me the occasional "Course Transfer Failed" message.  It would NOT successfully download courses to the device.  Even if the course did actually make it to the device, starting a "Course" workout would result in the device powering itself down almost immediately.

I'm running some new distances and in some new areas, so I'd like to be able to either pre-map the run or use the "take me home, country road/retrace my steps" feature.  Preferably without it shutting off and laughing at me, standing lost in a McNeighborhood or on a fire road in the national forest.

And so I went through troubleshooting with Garmin, and they eventually had me send it in for replacement.  Got the "new" unit last week.  Worked great on uploads, but it still won't download courses from TC to the unit.  I'm about to try doing a course workout, since dry runs have not seen the thing self-power down.  On a lark, I installed TC on my work computer (don't tell IT).  Course downloads worked!  Then didn't work!  WTF?!

Maybe it's just me, but ... is/has anyone else had trouble using the Courses feature of their Forerunner?  Or 305 in particular?  Not looking for The Solution per se, just trying to pin down if it's somewhat common or if it's perhaps a n issue with my specific hardware/software/drivers/butterfly-in-China-beating-its-wings

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau