My lame ass Boston Marathon race report. (Read 1533 times)

mikeymike

I'm too weary to write about it but I don't want to listen to any more of JK's begging so here's a cut and paste job...I appologize in advance for the lameness of this race report. Actually the weather was perfect. It got a bit warm at times in the 2nd half but nothing that affected my performance. I just didn't have it. My training had been pretty lackluster most of the winter even before I got the flu in March and then I just don't think I had time to recover from that and squeeze in any really productive training. I had a lot going on this winter; traveling most of January with a new job, my kids getting sick ea bunch of times, and the flu slamming our whole household in March. Still, encouraged by my 1:20 HM in March, I just sort of went out on PR pace and took a shot at it. I went through half at 1:27 which should have been really easy but I knew by then that this wasn't going to be a good day. I was already forcing turnover at that point and my legs were feeling heavy. The 2nd half was very rough but I tried to enjoy it as much as possible and remember as many details as I could. It was a great day--Boston really put it's best foot forward. The crowds were amazing. I don't think I've ever known that early in a marathon that it was all over. Really by halfway, about when Lance went by me for the last time, I was about done. My legs actually hurt already, and the hurt just kept getting worse and worse with every mile. This was probably the worst my legs ever hurt during a marathon. My quads are really messed up and it will be a while before they're back to normal. I'm having a hard time finding a positive in this one. I mean if I was going to go out and run 3:03 there are certainly easier and much less painful ways to do it than to go out in 1:27 and come back in 1:36. Damn. Boston, more than any other marathon, demands that you show up really, really fit. I wasn't. End of story. The marathon is a tough business. Especially this marathon. I'll pop a good one at this stupid race one of these days. Here's a picture from mile 1, before I knew my house of cards would be crashing down. I'm in the green and white top with black shorts, #1975. Thanks to everyone for their encouragement--the thread in which you were tracking us was really humbling to read. I'll be back. There will be other races.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The flu is truly evil--and you guys had it BAD in you house. That can definitely take the wind out of a person's sails, especially with all of the other obstacles you had to perfect training. I think you still did awesomely (hey, that's apparently a word, as my browser is not tagging it for spelling...woot!). Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks for posting. It was a ton of fun tracking all of you guys.
          I'll post. Travelling. Will read and post.Promised. I missed this place. In short: PR met. Super A++++ goal not met. But, pleased. Crowd/fans were the effin shanizzle. Yeah, I'm that dorky. Fishing tomorrow. And driving a couple/few hundred tomorrow. Wish me luck fishing.
            I asked Eric (Mile Collector) where the Shamrock singlets were, and he mentioned that you (and 41 others) were out there on the course. You guys are sneaky, I didn't see a single one among the masses. I know you're in the "HTFU is overused" camp, but sorry that sounds like an HTFU effort to me. Especially since events conspired to keep you from MTFUing. You're still an honorary Kenyan in my book, nicely done.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Me and my gang in Breck

Very nice Mike. I'm gonna have time to catch up on reading some threads today because today (Wednesday) I am the sorest that I've ever been and I'm having trouble walking.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Well, I think you rock. You've accomplished something most people will never even dream of doing. Good job!
                  I haven't posted a race report before, but got really into writing about Boston for all the friends and family who were so supportive. I didn't know I'd be running the race until about 6 weeks prior. I found out I'd won the Margaret Bradley Award in honor of my college teammate who passed away in 2004. My goal was to a) honor her memory and enjoy the marathon & surrounding experience b) not go out in 1:31 and come back in 1:54 (true story, Vermont City 2006) c) break 3:20 in the process if possible. I managed to get 1 19 miler in, 2 18 milers, 1 17 miler and 2 15 milers. Without further ado, here is the report: n Monday morning, I kept dropping things and running into doors (a sure sign of early morning grogginess combined with nervous jitters). My dad drove us BACK out to Hopkinton where Cary disguised herself as a racer (not very difficult) and kept me company in the Athletes' Village. We made friends with a Canadian man named George by sharing our permanent marker with him. Lots of people were sitting alone looking nervous, so I was glad to have Cary to distract me until she had to heat off to mile 1 where she was going to jump in to keep me from going out too hard for the first 10 miles. After she left, I wandered around looking for the other friends I had running the race and I warmed up a little. I stood in my coral and tried to avoid the spots of pee collecting from fellow runners using garbage bags to "discreetly" relieve themselves before the start. Having Cary was great. I knew the beginning would be faster than the end, but having her at my side kept me from going crazy on the down-hills. Considering how much my quads hurt now, I can't imagine what would have happened if I'd let loose with all the 7:00 miles I desired. Cary kept me calm, we made fun of the guy with a shirt reading "< 3 hours = sex every day for 3 weeks" running well over 3:00 pace, and she encouraged me to get water even when i didn't think i needed it (thank you). she jumped out of the race at mile 10 where my parents were cheering in natick. they were relieved to see me smiling and waving (as opposed to the scowl-panic hybrid look on my face at mile 10 in vermont) and i tried not to let it bother me that, until yesterday, my primary association with natick was that it was the rest stop kinda far outside boston on the mass pike that served ben and jerry's ice cream. the worst part of the race came almost immediately after natick. my quads were starting to burn from the downhill miles and i knew it was way too early to feel bad. when we went through wellesley, all the men crowded over to the right side of the course where the famous (and underwhelming) "tunnel of love" (which was not a tunnel?) of wellesley women stood screaming and holding signs like "kiss me i'm asian" or "kiss me i'm a senior." at mile 14.5 emily jumped in with me to hand off some gatorade and help me up the hills. i wasn't talking much, but she was wonderful, just occasionally saying, "you look great," (though i'm sure the bloody armpits of my singlet suggested otherwise). in almost all long races, there's a point where i like to say to myself, "you could drop out now and everyone would understand. it would be kind of embarrassing, but your family would still love you and life would go on." i knew i didn't have that option yesterday, so having those "what if..." thoughts were kind of panic-inducing rather than comforting. when i stopped to stretch right after heartbreak hill, a drunk bc student pleaded with me to keep going, saying, "come on, amanda, you're the best runner i know," which i thought was funny since a few thousand runners had just gone past me. i did manage to rally after the hills, though, and somehow, despite walking through the water stops at this point, and stretching out my quads a few times, bring it home in 3:19. i think i even did that arms raised thing when i crossed the finish line (although i was also really concerned with stopping my watch, so i think i my arms were raised as i stopped my watch the second my foot hit the timing pad at the finish--that ought to be an awesome picture.) it was pretty exciting. ten days ago when i still didn't know if i'd get into the race or not, i told myself that boston was over-rated and the new jersey shore marathon would be just as awesome. i'm sure the topography of the new jersey shore marathon would have been even more awesome, but the crowds at boston really were as cool as i remembered from when i used to go watch in high school. the whole city was involved--runners congratulating each other at the finish, faces caked in salt, and legs stiff like zombies, recognizable even far from the finish line as we walked down the stairs to the t backwards. even when we stopped at a gas station an hour west of boston on the way home, the parking lot was filled with limping runners wearing jeans and their race shirts, smiling at each other and grimacing as they slowly made their ways to the bathroom. so now i'm home, and i'm tired, and i want to do another one. 3="" hours="sex" every="" day="" for="" 3="" weeks"="" running="" well="" over="" 3:00="" pace,="" and="" she="" encouraged="" me="" to="" get="" water="" even="" when="" i="" didn't="" think="" i="" needed="" it="" (thank="" you).="" she="" jumped="" out="" of="" the="" race="" at="" mile="" 10="" where="" my="" parents="" were="" cheering="" in="" natick.="" they="" were="" relieved="" to="" see="" me="" smiling="" and="" waving="" (as="" opposed="" to="" the="" scowl-panic="" hybrid="" look="" on="" my="" face="" at="" mile="" 10="" in="" vermont)="" and="" i="" tried="" not="" to="" let="" it="" bother="" me="" that,="" until="" yesterday,="" my="" primary="" association="" with="" natick="" was="" that="" it="" was="" the="" rest="" stop="" kinda="" far="" outside="" boston="" on="" the="" mass="" pike="" that="" served="" ben="" and="" jerry's="" ice="" cream.="" the="" worst="" part="" of="" the="" race="" came="" almost="" immediately="" after="" natick.="" my="" quads="" were="" starting="" to="" burn="" from="" the="" downhill="" miles="" and="" i="" knew="" it="" was="" way="" too="" early="" to="" feel="" bad.="" when="" we="" went="" through="" wellesley,="" all="" the="" men="" crowded="" over="" to="" the="" right="" side="" of="" the="" course="" where="" the="" famous="" (and="" underwhelming)="" "tunnel="" of="" love"="" (which="" was="" not="" a="" tunnel?)="" of="" wellesley="" women="" stood="" screaming="" and="" holding="" signs="" like="" "kiss="" me="" i'm="" asian"="" or="" "kiss="" me="" i'm="" a="" senior."="" at="" mile="" 14.5="" emily="" jumped="" in="" with="" me="" to="" hand="" off="" some="" gatorade="" and="" help="" me="" up="" the="" hills.="" i="" wasn't="" talking="" much,="" but="" she="" was="" wonderful,="" just="" occasionally="" saying,="" "you="" look="" great,"="" (though="" i'm="" sure="" the="" bloody="" armpits="" of="" my="" singlet="" suggested="" otherwise).="" in="" almost="" all="" long="" races,="" there's="" a="" point="" where="" i="" like="" to="" say="" to="" myself,="" "you="" could="" drop="" out="" now="" and="" everyone="" would="" understand.="" it="" would="" be="" kind="" of="" embarrassing,="" but="" your="" family="" would="" still="" love="" you="" and="" life="" would="" go="" on."="" i="" knew="" i="" didn't="" have="" that="" option="" yesterday,="" so="" having="" those="" "what="" if..."="" thoughts="" were="" kind="" of="" panic-inducing="" rather="" than="" comforting.="" when="" i="" stopped="" to="" stretch="" right="" after="" heartbreak="" hill,="" a="" drunk="" bc="" student="" pleaded="" with="" me="" to="" keep="" going,="" saying,="" "come="" on,="" amanda,="" you're="" the="" best="" runner="" i="" know,"="" which="" i="" thought="" was="" funny="" since="" a="" few="" thousand="" runners="" had="" just="" gone="" past="" me.="" i="" did="" manage="" to="" rally="" after="" the="" hills,="" though,="" and="" somehow,="" despite="" walking="" through="" the="" water="" stops="" at="" this="" point,="" and="" stretching="" out="" my="" quads="" a="" few="" times,="" bring="" it="" home="" in="" 3:19.="" i="" think="" i="" even="" did="" that="" arms="" raised="" thing="" when="" i="" crossed="" the="" finish="" line="" (although="" i="" was="" also="" really="" concerned="" with="" stopping="" my="" watch,="" so="" i="" think="" i="" my="" arms="" were="" raised="" as="" i="" stopped="" my="" watch="" the="" second="" my="" foot="" hit="" the="" timing="" pad="" at="" the="" finish--that="" ought="" to="" be="" an="" awesome="" picture.)="" it="" was="" pretty="" exciting.="" ten="" days="" ago="" when="" i="" still="" didn't="" know="" if="" i'd="" get="" into="" the="" race="" or="" not,="" i="" told="" myself="" that="" boston="" was="" over-rated="" and="" the="" new="" jersey="" shore="" marathon="" would="" be="" just="" as="" awesome.="" i'm="" sure="" the="" topography="" of="" the="" new="" jersey="" shore="" marathon="" would="" have="" been="" even="" more="" awesome,="" but="" the="" crowds="" at="" boston="" really="" were="" as="" cool="" as="" i="" remembered="" from="" when="" i="" used="" to="" go="" watch="" in="" high="" school.="" the="" whole="" city="" was="" involved--runners="" congratulating="" each="" other="" at="" the="" finish,="" faces="" caked="" in="" salt,="" and="" legs="" stiff="" like="" zombies,="" recognizable="" even="" far="" from="" the="" finish="" line="" as="" we="" walked="" down="" the="" stairs="" to="" the="" t="" backwards.="" even="" when="" we="" stopped="" at="" a="" gas="" station="" an="" hour="" west="" of="" boston="" on="" the="" way="" home,="" the="" parking="" lot="" was="" filled="" with="" limping="" runners="" wearing="" jeans="" and="" their="" race="" shirts,="" smiling="" at="" each="" other="" and="" grimacing="" as="" they="" slowly="" made="" their="" ways="" to="" the="" bathroom.="" so="" now="" i'm="" home,="" and="" i'm="" tired,="" and="" i="" want="" to="" do="" another="" one.=""></ 3 hours = sex every day for 3 weeks" running well over 3:00 pace, and she encouraged me to get water even when i didn't think i needed it (thank you). she jumped out of the race at mile 10 where my parents were cheering in natick. they were relieved to see me smiling and waving (as opposed to the scowl-panic hybrid look on my face at mile 10 in vermont) and i tried not to let it bother me that, until yesterday, my primary association with natick was that it was the rest stop kinda far outside boston on the mass pike that served ben and jerry's ice cream. the worst part of the race came almost immediately after natick. my quads were starting to burn from the downhill miles and i knew it was way too early to feel bad. when we went through wellesley, all the men crowded over to the right side of the course where the famous (and underwhelming) "tunnel of love" (which was not a tunnel?) of wellesley women stood screaming and holding signs like "kiss me i'm asian" or "kiss me i'm a senior." at mile 14.5 emily jumped in with me to hand off some gatorade and help me up the hills. i wasn't talking much, but she was wonderful, just occasionally saying, "you look great," (though i'm sure the bloody armpits of my singlet suggested otherwise). in almost all long races, there's a point where i like to say to myself, "you could drop out now and everyone would understand. it would be kind of embarrassing, but your family would still love you and life would go on." i knew i didn't have that option yesterday, so having those "what if..." thoughts were kind of panic-inducing rather than comforting. when i stopped to stretch right after heartbreak hill, a drunk bc student pleaded with me to keep going, saying, "come on, amanda, you're the best runner i know," which i thought was funny since a few thousand runners had just gone past me. i did manage to rally after the hills, though, and somehow, despite walking through the water stops at this point, and stretching out my quads a few times, bring it home in 3:19. i think i even did that arms raised thing when i crossed the finish line (although i was also really concerned with stopping my watch, so i think i my arms were raised as i stopped my watch the second my foot hit the timing pad at the finish--that ought to be an awesome picture.) it was pretty exciting. ten days ago when i still didn't know if i'd get into the race or not, i told myself that boston was over-rated and the new jersey shore marathon would be just as awesome. i'm sure the topography of the new jersey shore marathon would have been even more awesome, but the crowds at boston really were as cool as i remembered from when i used to go watch in high school. the whole city was involved--runners congratulating each other at the finish, faces caked in salt, and legs stiff like zombies, recognizable even far from the finish line as we walked down the stairs to the t backwards. even when we stopped at a gas station an hour west of boston on the way home, the parking lot was filled with limping runners wearing jeans and their race shirts, smiling at each other and grimacing as they slowly made their ways to the bathroom. so now i'm home, and i'm tired, and i want to do another one. >
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Even when we stopped at a gas station an hour west of Boston on the way home, the parking lot was filled with limping runners wearing jeans and their race shirts, smiling at each other and grimacing as they slowly made their ways to the bathroom.
                    That is SO cool! Nice race! Enjoy your recovery. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Awesome reports!! Great pace, Amanda !!!! You are unbelievable !

- Anya

And I'll go ahead and post my report of sorts here since this thread has already been labeled "lame ass" in advance for my convenience. However, the opposite of lame ass would be the women's Olympic trials held on Sunday morning. We wandered up near the starting line about an hour before the start and ran into Kathrine Switzer who was working as one of the commentators. Of course, I had to dork out and have my picture taken with her. She, was (luckily) very gracious and accomodating. Famous runners are like rock stars to me. I want to get their autographs and touch them. Poor Kathrine. The trials marathon was probably more excitement and running around than I should have had the day before Boston, but it was worth it. Because of the route, spectators got a chance to see the women about eight times (I think) by dashing a few blocks back and forth. Watching Deena Kastor patiently reel in the frontrunner, who at one point had a nearly 2-minute lead, was amazing. Seeing Joan Samuelson in her last competitive marathon (or so she says...) was meaningful on a lot of levels. Since I started running in 1978, she has always been the runner whose career and achievements I'd followed most closely. Now, thirty years later, it was really touching to see her turn and wave to the crowd in the final half mile. I'd seen her race decades ago, and she still looks like a little kid when she runs. She obviously loves it. Well, enough sap and homage to people who can actually run fast. On to my marathon. Monday morning was cool, windless, and overcast. I made it to the buses in plenty of time and was only feeling the normal pre-marathon panic ( the "I haven't trained enough, I've trained too much, will my watch break?, 26.2 miles is an abnormal distance to run, is that my hamstring?, will I poop my pants?" sort of monotonous hum in my brain). So, so far so good. Does it always take the buses an hour and a half to get to Hopkinton? There seemed to be some sort of colossal traffic jam at the Hopkinton exit (hello, 25,000 runners perhaps?). A string of dozens of school buses inched along forever. And, of course, since everyone drinks water to the point of explosion on race morning, there was some severe bladder angst building in every bus. Finally, one guy on our bus went tearing out to the side of the road and just peed right there in front of, oh, 500 or more people. No pressure or anything. Roll eyes There was some snickering and a lot of "I could never do that" chatter. Within fifteen minutes, however, dozens of people were piling out of the buses and lining the roadside peeing. Men and women. Butts to the interstate. A classic moment in marathoning. As we waited in the athlete's village (aka a big tent), the sun came out. Still, I was determined to wear my 3/4 length sleeve Monkey shirt. Big mistake. Somehow, the race began before thousands of people were even in their corrals (I was one of them). There was a lot of flailing-armed running through front yards which, in retropsect, was stupid since the chip on your shoe doesn't care which corral you start from. But, finally, we were off. The first couple miles are seriously downhill. Then there's some more downhill. I had read about the course and knew all about the error of starting too fast and being impatient. I knew it was better to hold back and be conservative. So, naturally, I took off like a bat out of hell. Like most people, I'm never sure how I feel until at least 5 or 6 miles into the marathon. Six miles in I felt blah. Ten miles in I felt blah-er. Not bad, just flat. I had hoped to maintain about an 8:10 pace the whole way, but I was having the "Hey! I could almost take a nap!" feeling at only 15 miles. I stopped for water more often than any marathon I've ever run. Slowly, my pace trickled away to 8:15, 8:18...Then the Newton hills arrived. I train on a lot of hills (big hills. Monkey hills.), so I had been privately scoffing at the elevation profile of Boston and its weenie Heartbreak Hill. What can I say except: Evil grin I've hit hills late in marathons before, but there's something different about Boston. Something diabolical. I can't explain it. I guess that's the lure to run it again and again in an attempt to figure it out. Anyway, my overall pace ultimately slowed to 8:24. Stupid weenie hill. The crowds. If there was anything that saved my ass during this race and pushed me through even in my lackluster state, it was the thousands, the millions of cheering, screaming, drinking, kissing, high-fiving, singing, drumming, irrevrerent, admiring, proud, wisecracking, inspiring people that lined nearly every inch of roadside from Hopkinton to Boston. The final mile was thunderous. I've never seen crowds so genuinely excited for and proud of the runners running through their streets. And when I turned onto Boylston and could see the finish line of the most famous marathon in the world within reach--well, let's just say it's hard to run and cry. As usual, my finish photo should be a real gem. In the end, I finished at 3:40:16. About 5 minutes slower than I'd hoped for, but still a 2-minute PR. What a great weekend. Boston was the vortex of marathoning (particularly for women) this past Sunday and Monday, and though I think it wore me out before even getting to the starting line, I wouldn't have missed any of it for anything. Thanks Boston! And thanks to the idiots over in the 2000 Mile Swamp. Their encouragement and ridicule is the best coaching I've ever had. Wink

Great reports everyone, thanks for sharing! Smile Reading the reports truly does make me wish I could have been there in person to cheer everyone on. Mikeymike, no gloves? Confused

Michelle

These sound familiar - I went out in the goal pace and fell apart. The weather wasn't ideal, but I can't really blame it on that. My training was good, I thought my taper was OK, I just felt a little flat. I managed to salvage an OK time but I was still 14 minutes off my goal. I passed Lance Armstrong at mile 3 and he returned the favor at 21...I should have just backed off, run with him, and enjoyed the day since I only felt OK and the weather wasn't what I needed to run my goal time. STUPIDSTUPIDSTUPID!! The Trials were great to watch though.

uncontrollable

Thanks for posting. It was a ton of fun tracking all of you guys.
                              Just want to tell you that I LOVE your 'blue steel' shot or is that 'magnum'? That is seriously one of my favorite movies - I've watched it with people who don't think it's funny ... can you believe that? I will never get sick of that movie!

peace

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Just want to tell you that I LOVE your 'blue steel' shot or is that 'magnum'?
                                Actually, I thought it was Le Tigre'.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.