The secret to running fast (Read 2999 times)

MrH

Actually it's more the product of available potential energy (e.g., height available to fall), and drag coefficient.

The OP never made it clear whether he was interested in the macroscopic or atomic/subatomic level. Thus your answer, which ignores quantum mechanical effects, may be overly simplistic.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

WMRunner

When it comes down to it, there's only ONE thing that's different between "fast" runners and "slow" runners--# of excuses you give.  "I don't have good gene" is one of the top of these excuses "slow" runners give.  Why?  Because it's the easiest excuse to give.  I don't know of ANY research or study that had pin-pointed what "genetics" you need to be a good runner.

If you mean that the genetic excuse is the number 1 reason then we might agree.  However I am a long ways away from agreeing that it's the ONLY reason.   What separates a concert pianist from an OK player?  Is it only training or is there an inate talent difference as well?  When I see two runners sprinting the final 200 meters of the olympic 5000 and one overtakes and passes the other, and I know they both trained to the limits of their bodies, then I take the result to mean they have genetic differences that favor one over the other.  (Assuming both pass the pee test.)

JimR

and I know they both trained to the limits of their bodies,

Cool.  So how do you come to know this?

The only thing I know when I see two runners sprinting for the win in the Olympic 5000 meter final is that both are genetic freaks and both have trained near the limits of what humans are capable of.

Runners run

WMRunner

Cool.  So how do you come to know this?

When you used to have hair I'm pretty sure you split them!

Hawt and sexy

I am the prince of a small country in Africa. I have the secret of running fast in a safe deposit box in a bank in Nigeria. Unfortunately, I currently do no have access to that bank. I also have a large account with that bank. I will give you $2 million dollars to go to the bank and get my money. All I need is a small fee of $12,000 to cover the cost of the arrangements....

I'm touching your pants.

Right on Hereford...

When I see two runners sprinting the final 200 meters of the olympic 5000 and one overtakes and passes the other, and I know they both trained to the limits of their bodies, then I take the result to mean they have genetic differences that favor one over the other. 

The winner wanted it more.

The winner wanted it more.

Or maybe a prince from a small county in Africa paid the loser to throw the race.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

hokiemamba

A high school up the road from here and that is in the district my daughter's school is in has 5 girls that run under 5:10 miles.  3 under 5 minutes. 2 of them (twins) have some of the top times in the mile and the 2 mile.  The girls ran and won the hs championship division of the DMR in the Penn Relays. The team is among the best in the nation in cross country.  A second team in the district is also one of the best in the nation in cc.  (both teams went to Nike Cross Nationals and placed.)  These are NOT large schools. I'm talking 1000- 1500 or so students.  The thing is, both of these schools CONSISTENTLY have girls that run really fast.  The seniors graduate and then a couple more come along and take their places.  I don't think there's anything in the water around here (my daughter wishes it were so).  I don't think we have genetic freaks of nature around here, either.  I think we just have some really good coaches who've got a bunch of kids to buy into their systems and who've seen the cool things that happen as a result (full rides to good schools, for one thing).   It's made kids like my daughter work harder and harder and harder and she's starting to get faster and faster too.  So...I guess all this is just to put my vote in the CONDITIONING category.  With genetics playing a role, too. Just not so much.
                      A high school up the road from here and that is in the district my daughter's school is in has 5 girls that run under 5:10 miles.  3 under 5 minutes. 2 of them (twins) have some of the top times in the mile and the 2 mile.  The girls ran and won the hs championship division of the DMR in the Penn Relays. The team is among the best in the nation in cross country.  A second team in the district is also one of the best in the nation in cc.  (both teams went to Nike Cross Nationals and placed.)  These are NOT large schools. I'm talking 1000- 1500 or so students.  The thing is, both of these schools CONSISTENTLY have girls that run really fast.  The seniors graduate and then a couple more come along and take their places.  I don't think there's anything in the water around here (my daughter wishes it were so).  I don't think we have genetic freaks of nature around here, either.  I think we just have some really good coaches who've got a bunch of kids to buy into their systems and who've seen the cool things that happen as a result (full rides to good schools, for one thing).   It's made kids like my daughter work harder and harder and harder and she's starting to get faster and faster too.  So...I guess all this is just to put my vote in the CONDITIONING category.  With genetics playing a role, too. Just not so much.

Sounds a lot like the environment at York HS, IL with Joe Newton.   

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The only thing I know when I see runners is that they are freaks.

+1

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

JimR

When you used to have hair I'm pretty sure you split them!

?

I'm just trying to figure out how you ascertained the roles of both genetics and training for two finishers in a race.  If that's splitting hairs, then I guess that's what I am.

#artbydmcbride

I lean towards this answer

Big grin  

Runners run

MoBramExam

...I don't think we have genetic freaks of nature around here, either.  I think we just have some really good coaches who've got a bunch of kids to buy into their systems and who've seen the cool things that happen as a result (full rides to good schools, for one thing).   It's made kids like my daughter work harder and harder and harder and she's starting to get faster and faster too.  So...I guess all this is just to put my vote in the CONDITIONING category.  With genetics playing a role, too. Just not so much.

Genetics will play less of a role at the HS level.  You get what's walking the halls to condition.  In mikey's example, the last few meters of the Olympic 5000, genetics are much more a factor.  You get a "freak" to condition to begin with.  You're right, just comparing apples to mikey's oranges.

WMRunner

?

I'm just trying to figure out how you ascertained the roles of both genetics and training for two finishers in a race.  If that's splitting hairs, then I guess that's what I am.

It's simple.  Genetics sets your ultimate potential.  Training enables that potential.  I made the assumption that two world class runners would both be training very close to their physical limits.  Not a bad assumption I think.