Do you run on the sidewalk or in the road? (Read 1156 times)

xlrunner

It is?? Are you sure?
    Incredibly, it's true. I had never heard of this law, but I just did a search for it and found Section 21966 of the California Vehicle Code, which states: Pedestrian in Bicycle Lane 21966. No pedestrian shall proceed along a bicycle path or lane where there is an adjacent adequate pedestrian facility. Added Ch. 751, Stats. 1976. Effective January 1, 1977.
    Jill_B

I fly.

I run on the road in my development because my head would get taken off by a tree if I didn't (they planted the trees too close to the sidewalks), but on the sidewalk just about everywhere else.

Bring it on.

Jazz hands!

Sidewalk, because I'm not insane. I also think of traffic lights as fartleks.
        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
          If you're very sensitive to the hardness of the surface, your form is bad. You're creating too much impact. When you're running smoothly, the hardness of the surface doesn't matter much at all. I can run barefoot on concrete and not take any more impact in my shins/knees/hips/back/etc than I'd have on a rubber track.
          Yeah I totally agree with this. Well other than the barefoot part. I have some sensitive ass feet...I can barely walk on carpet without shoes on.
          xor

...adequate pedestrian facility.
            I like that. I think I'll start using it. I'm taking bets on what the next thread will be. Perhaps it will be more creative than "do you wear headphones" or "is banditing boston ok", but I'm not hopeful. Well, it's the wrong season for the banditry banshee.

Menace to Sobriety

I have some sensitive ass feet...I can barely walk on carpet without shoes on.
              Ass feet? Where the hell do you get shoes for them? Shocked

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

xor

Ass feet? Where the hell do you get shoes for them? Shocked
                Talk about stinky feet. <mel> Yech. </mel>

I like that. I think I'll start using it. I'm taking bets on what the next thread will be. Perhaps it will be more creative than "do you wear headphones" or "is banditing boston ok", but I'm not hopeful. Well, it's the wrong season for the banditry banshee.
                  Maybe something like what incline setting to use on the treadmill to equal the effort of running outside? Just for the record, I won't be contributing to any of blonderunner's future threads. This one got out of control.
                  Mishka-old log

I was considering swapping my feet for foam blocks, but then I realized they have these "running shoes" that you can take on and off. They're kinda expensive, and the "laces" are a little complicated at first, but then again so was the whole foam-block foot-swap thing.
                    Running shoes? Hmmm. Do they keep those in the foam block section??
                    P.S. Good luck this weekend.
                    Thanks.
                    invisible

90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                        Top 10 Running Surfaces http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?uan=152
                        That's an okay list, but it left off the crushed skulls of our vanquished enemies.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

invisible

Shhhhh... Smile
                          90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                          Carl A

Also left off: the air about ten feet above yourself, looking down

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

DoppleBock

Incredibly, it's true. I had never heard of this law, but I just did a search for it and found Section 21966 of the California Vehicle Code, which states: Pedestrian in Bicycle Lane 21966. No pedestrian shall proceed along a bicycle path or lane where there is an adjacent adequate pedestrian facility. Added Ch. 751, Stats. 1976. Effective January 1, 1977.
                              Breakin the law, breakin the law I had no idea, every time I go out to CA to visit my Sister, I run in the bike lanes.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

OK Concrete / Asphalt Summer - Asphalt gets really soft ... concrete stays hard. Winter in WI - Temp -10F - Concrete is still hard ... but is Asphalt really that much softer? I have wondered this on many crisp winter runs when its below zero - I would guess most outdoor running surfaces ... Concrete remains about as hard, but the alternatives lose some of their softness.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !