Is there a Better Book on Running than Noakes's The Lore of Running ? (Read 1050 times)

bap

Certified Running Coach
    Crocked since 2013

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm not too impressed with the musings of a physiologist who has never been a top runner, far better to read about someone who's actually been successful in the sport and find out what they did.
      Although there may be some overlap, the skill set needed to understand the psyiological underpinnings of running and write about them is not the same as the skill set for being a top runner. Trent's point about oncologists, as well as the points about baseball managers, are just a few of the myriad examples of this. Otherwise, all former NFL players would be successful in the broadcast booth, and Isiah Thomas would be a Hall-of-Fame-caliber coach. Thee recently deceased Chuck Daly wasn't much of a player, but was one of the NBA's all-time greatest coaches. And the running world is full of great coaches who were nowhere near as fast as the runners they coach. Lydiard never won any medals, but his runners sure did. Same with Bill Bowerman and Jumbo Elliot, to name a few. That's not to say that there isn't great value to be found in the writings/teachings of those "in the trenches." But if you limit yourself only to them, you'll get far too narrow a perspective.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

bap

Agree with the above. Very few top players in any sport become great coaches.

Certified Running Coach
        Crocked since 2013

Why is it sideways?

Very few top players in any sport become great coaches.
          Sure. But very few people become great coaches. And very few people become top athletes. The fact that there is any overlap at all shows that experience at the top level--if not everything--is worth a great deal. Seems like many of the best coaches are the ones who made it to the top level, but were not superstars. The Phil Jacksons and Doc Rivers and Brad Hudsons of the world.
          mikeymike

I've heard Jack Daniels described as "not a coach" by an athlete who was coached by him. So there's that, too.

Runners run

Jack Daniels http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Daniels_(coach)
              I've learned more about running after having recently read through most of the Daniels book. I sure wish I knew some of this stuff back when I was a lot faster.
                I thought Don Quixote was pretty good.
                I don't know for sure if Mikey was being a smart guy or a wise guy (;o)) but he's got a very valid point here. It is one of the noteable exercise physiologist (whose name is actually mentioned in this thread) who said that it is not just flesh and bones that run; but heart and soul. All the physiological stuff that so many people today seem to love to discuss is only a part of it. I think, for some people, a book like "Don Quixote" would be so much more valuable to read than "Lore of Running" and would most probably make him/her run a better 5k as well.
                xor

For the first 10 years of my life, I thought he was Donkey Hotey. I have Mister Rogers to thank for that (Donkey Hotey was one of the weird puppets).

will run for popsicles

if it's heart and soul, the only book you'll ever need is "Running & Being" by Dr. George Sheehan. "Run only is you must. If running is an imperative that comes from inside you and not from your doctor. Otherwise, heed the inner calling to your own Play. Listen if you can to the person you were and are and can be. Then do what you do best and feel best at. Something you would do for nothing. Something that gives you security and self-acceptance and a feeling of completion; even moments when you are fused with your universe and your Creator. When you find it, build your life around it." A wonderful book by a wonderful man.

Feeling the growl again

You don't have to have been a top runner to write intelligently about running, but Noakes did neither. I gave him credit for a good but slightly misguided attempt until I actually engaged in an exchange with him. He's another crank with a preset conception twisting the facts to fit it with whatever pseudo-logic is needed. For a PhD he was shockingly incoherent in his train of logic. Remember, he and our pal Richard get along really well. I always wondered about that....now I know why, they are very, very similar in the head. For the average runner, I always felt Daniels and Pfitz both did a good job.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Meanwhile, Earl Weaver and Tommy Lasorda were not great players, but they were very good/great managers.
                        ...another stinker, but he can really call a game

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Mr R

You don't have to have been a top runner to write intelligently about running, but Noakes did neither. I gave him credit for a good but slightly misguided attempt until I actually engaged in an exchange with him. He's another crank with a preset conception twisting the facts to fit it with whatever pseudo-logic is needed. For a PhD he was shockingly incoherent in his train of logic. Remember, he and our pal Richard get along really well. I always wondered about that....now I know why, they are very, very similar in the head. For the average runner, I always felt Daniels and Pfitz both did a good job.
                          Yes. Thank you. I've read the book (and underlined and annotated it) cover-to-cover, but it never comes off the shelf. Much more useful are Coe, Daniels, Pfitz, heck, even Lydiard (though I'd never use his methods on pure mid-d guys). His book is huge, and it has lots of footnotes, but that doesn't mean that he knows how to train distance runners.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

NolaGal1

MikeyMike said... It suggests that you must believe it's important. Even if the neighbors think you're crazy. A very astute statement...
                              I haven't read any of them, but did find usefulness in some of Noake's pages on Cross Friction Massage. It helped me with recurring scar tissue problem in my calf.,,, Wait that's not true, I read George Sheehan's,,, it was like John Updike on running. Which by and large is a good thing. The one thing I took away from Sheehan was the value of ' an hour a day' .
                              bap

I haven't read any of them, but did find usefulness in some of Noake's pages on Cross Friction Massage.
                                Yeah, my physical therapist recommends that (I'm busy paying to put his kids through college Smile )

Certified Running Coach
                                Crocked since 2013